Tools

smokeyjocustoms

I go to an auction every Saturday. I have bought many many of my tools there. Good tools very cheap.

As a matter of fact my band saw, which is a Floor model, I paid 20$ for.

My router was 35$ still in the box. Dewalt by the way. I bought a 5 speed mini drill press for 18$ in an unopened box.

Let me know what your looking for and I'll watch for it.

Just a side note.

I let 3 Chicago 2.5hp routers go for 15$ a piece, cuz I wasnt familiar with their name. Much to my dismay, I hear, after the fact, that they are good tools.

Sucks to be me huh?

I guess these type of auctions go on in every town, but I've never gone to one. I figured I'd go there and not have a clue how it works. I'd also hate to have to sit there for a long time waiting to bid on something and then get out-bidded by someone else. If you have any tips for someone going to a tool auction for the first time, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I guess these type of auctions go on in every town, but I've never gone to one. I figured I'd go there and not have a clue how it works.  I'd also hate to have to sit there for a long time waiting to bid on something and then get out-bidded by someone else. If you have any tips for someone going to a tool auction for the first time, I'd appreciate hearing them.

also, how do you find out about them?

I think I've seen ads in the papers for them, but always had an uneasy feeling about going to one.

Maybe cuz many years ago when I wanted a pickup truck and wanted to stretch my money as far is it would go, I went to a government car aution, and what I saw was not good. About 30 USDA pickup trucks that had dried mud caked everywhere inside the engine compartment. They were just totally beat to ****, so I left right away and didn't get to witness how the thing works, how much someone would actually pay for a piece of junk like that.

A while ago, I did a google newsgroup search (groups) on tool auctions, and several threads say many people end up paying more for the tools at auction than they can buy them somewhere else (catalog, etc). There's a breed of people who just like the event so much, they'll pay extra for the experience !

And if that ain't enough to prove some people ain't hooked up right, I heard that Harbor Freight tools has ebay auctions, and people sometimes bid higher than what they can get the same item from HF, from their regular website, or HF retail store in their town !

Maybe SmokeyJo should get paid extra just for having to hang out with those bozos for a day.

I go to the auction which is locally advertised. I just bought yesterday, a total home gym for 5$ on a skid. It is brand new. Walmart sales the exact same home gym for 239.00. Good buy? you be the judge.

I bought yesterday, a scroll saw, 16" variable speed brand new in the box for 10$ sells on harbor freight or lowes for 59.00

5 gallon pancake compressers for 70.00, how many you want? I bought 10 for 45.00 a sold every one for 100 a piece.

Air jack hammers for 200$.....

Now you see why I go there.....