steve morse guitar

krazyderek

sup D

my friend wants a guitar with four pick ups with active and passive all mixed. by the time he finished telling me this i called him a ****ing tool. :D i just thought i would say that, but i am not attacking you in anyway.

Page.

Hey KD,

There may be another way to take advantage of this many PUPs, and that is 1 vol knob per PUP and no switches. That is the approach I am taking with my BeatTele. 3 PUPs, 3 vols, 1 tone. No switch.

Just seem somehow easier to me.

Guitar Ed

hmm... depends what you're switching from and to, also switch's can be faster then turning a volume knob.... i guess it's all preference, but your idea lends it's self to having 2 pickups on full power and the third turned down a bit..... which would be pretty cool, also giving you more selections instead of just on/off... you'd have 3/4 on 1/2 on 1/4 on... off

personaly, i'd have a couple split coil options, like a coil from 4 and pu 2, or a coil from 4 and a coil from 1 in series ( which happens to be my fav shredding position at the moment :D )

I watched Steve play this guitar at a guitar clinic a few years ago. He's constantly futzing with the controls as he plays. I can't imagine that this switch configuration is optimum (at least not if I were playing that guitar) but it works for Steve. The man's a monster.

heh, ya i watched the video he did on tumeni notes and a coupel of the songs, he's like "tumeni notes, is easy we just break it down like this" so he plays a couple sections slow, then joins them together.... so i'm like ya ok i can do that, then he's like "and after you've practiced it enough just gradualy speed it up" lol i kept up for like the first 2 seconds after that he just keeps going faster and faster till he plays the intro and "normal" speed and he's just staring at the camera with this grin like "keep trying" lol....

with as many different genres of music steve morse covers, he only really has two options, take a slew of guitars, or have ernie ball make him one that can do everything he needs, but is more complex than calculous. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I wired up a three pickup Tele with three on/off/on mini toggles so you could have any of the pickups on at any time - each was wired so you could have on/off/phase reverse except for the bridge pickup which was on/off/on-with a resistor in line for a subtle change in tone. The middle pickup was a SD Little '59 and had a push/push vol pot to add coil splitting too.

The only slight drawback of this system is that it is possible to have no pickups on at all if you're not paying attention :D

Paul