Guitar Amp

Acousticraft

I thought it might be interesting for all you axe thrashers to tell us what amp you use and what you enjoy about it.

I have a Vox AD50VT Valvetronic amp which uses a Valve/ tube and solid state to emulate legendary model valve amps. What I like about the amp is there is heaps (11) of different amp models to choose from so it never gets boring.

I use the amp for playing with our music team at church and play everything from hyms to rock. My favourite amp model is AC30 which I use the most because gives that very authentic chimey AC 30 sound. Other models I also use are Fender Bassman and Blackface 2x12. For distortion I use JCM800 mainly. The footpedal allows 2 saved patches and with bypass you have a 3rd option.

It is plenty loud enough for live playing especially as I am miked up with an SM57 to the mixing desk. In fact the sound tech often tells me to turn it down as it is overpowering the mix. At present I am just using my 335 semi-hollow I finished recently and am really enjoying it. So my other guitars apart from my acoustic at home are not getting much use of late.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivera TBR-1. All-tube, rackmount monster. Absurdly versatile, fantastic tones, although it's not always easy to dial in exactly what you want. Wouldn't trade it for the world. If I wanted something lighter and more compact, I'd probably get a 30 watt Rivera combo of some sort.

I have a Marshall JTM-60, a Trainwreck Climax that I built, a Fender Tweed Deluxe that I buit, and a heavily modified Marshall 18Watt that is mostly done. They all sound really good. The Deluxe and 18Watt are both low-wattage amps that are a lot more comfortable to play at home, so they're mostly what I play on. All four of the amps sound really good, though.

A real range of classic tube amps. Obviously the guys that care enough to build a guitar are also fussy about the type of sound they want. yeah good stuff.

AC 30 custom classic 2x12.

Hey Aidlook thats my kind of amp. Does it have the Celestion blue speakers fitted?

The classic British sound that changed the world of music.

A real range of classic tube amps. Obviously the guys that care enough to build a guitar are also fussy about the type of sound they want. yeah good stuff.

AC 30 custom classic 2x12.

Hey Aidlook thats my kind of amp. Does it have the Celestion blue speakers fitted?

The classic British sound that changed the world of music.

Nope...not for the price they charged for them in Sweden...

Even if I wanted them I could just buy the speakers separately and put them in myself for what it'd cost me to buy the model with them....and if I do it myself I'll get to keep the old speakers.

iwatt1.jpg

Hiwatt DR103 (DIY clone)

DIY 400 watt dummy load

Hush Super C

Alesis Q20

Marshall 8008 Valvestate (solid-state re-amp)

Marshall 1936 2x12 cab w/ Celestion G12H-30s

---coming soon: Hiwatt 4x12 (DIY clone) loaded with WeberVST custom Thames (vintage Fane clone)---

Boss volume pedal

Vox wah

ART Ultrafoot midi controller

MusicMan HD130 2x12 combo (practice amp, or for when there's no room for the big rig) :D

Boneyard:

Lexicon Signature 284

Marshall JMP-1 preamp

ADA MP-1 (DOA)

Digitech RP-1

MXR Dynacomp

Peavey Bandit 112, 80 watt combo amp

I hate this thing with a passion,

Traynor old tube head, currently no cab, because i cant find one and havent built one yet.

Cry Baby Wah pedal

BOSS HM-2 distortion

Digitech RP50 (use for chorus and reverb)

And, my main axe is my Slammer by Hamer Explorer, (ya its a lower end series, but i put a set of seymour duncans in it, plus its a 3 peice mahogany body with maple neck, it sounds gooooooooooooooood now)

Curtis

boogie v-twin preamp and a boogie mark 3 for the in your face sound.

the other amps are all old black face fender stuff. vibroluxe twin and prinston.

I like the fender stuff for just about everything. blues and clasic rock when using the v=twin preamp.

the fender stuff has stood the test of time to be a great amp.

Edited by prs man

Yes I am partial to that nice clean Fender sound myself.

Even if I wanted them I could just buy the speakers separately and put them in myself for what it'd cost me to buy the model with them....and if I do it myself I'll get to keep the old speakers.

Yes the Celestions are a lot more expensive than the Wharfedales? that I am assuming are fitted.

Edited by Acousticraft

Yes I am partial to that nice clean Fender sound myself.

Yes the Celestions are a lot more expensive than the Wharfedales? that I am assuming are fitted.

yep...the amp's 50% more expensive with the celestion's....and You can always buy them yourself and install them...for the same price.

And then you'll still get to keep the Wharfedale's for free.