Guitar Amp

Acousticraft

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff but shes a heavy beast at nearly 80 lbs. Did you look at the Vox Tonelab before the POD just curious?

Yeah, I have to admit carrying it up 2 flights of stairs at a gig a few weeks ago wasn't my idea of fun B) it's surprisingly large too, much bigger than it appears on the website, it's not much smaller than a 4x12" cab.

I didn't try the Vox, to be honest the Pod was a bit of an impulse buy, I was only looking for a simple overdrive pedal for my Marshall TSL 601 combo :D but I stumbled across a great deal on the Pod so I went for it. I've never been a fan of multi fx pedals but as my band seems to be heading in a more 'progressive' direction (think Porcupine Tree, etc) I thought the extra options it would give me might come in useful, especially as I was planning on buying a Variax as well (just got one last week). But no matter what I tried the Pod just wouldn't sound good with my TSL, so after reading up on the Atomic's I decided to take the plunge, I sold my 4 week old TSL :D and ordered the Atomic and I have no regrets at all... I'm probably started to sound like I'm on commission :D but it really is THAT good.

Ok, nobody else is asking, so I guess you all already know. Maybe I'm slow, but, Perry, what the heck is that thing?

I had a Crate GX 212 for a while. The "Flex-wave" stuff Crate advertises works pretty well - I think that was about the closest to a real tube amp I've heard without actually buying a tube amp. I also really liked the sound of the built in reverb unit. I liked the first clean and "dirty" channels, never really used the heavy distortion channel

I’m playing out of a blues jr. right now and I love it.

For the crate guy... My rythem player uses a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 from the early 90's with matching V30 loaded cab. Very thick saturated sounds with big bottom end. Clean channel is good, reverb is okay at best. It's obvious this amp uses mosfets in the preamp due to making massive distortion using 4 preamp tubes. The amp is noisy due to degraded filter caps and the power switch is messing up, other than that, it's golden.

For the thread... I use a Hughes & Kettner Duotone 100w head that i pulled two tubes in to get 50w. Runs through a H&K Alex Lifeson signature V30 loaded 4x12.

Once I finished my axe it became painfully clear that my amp blows the sound locked up in my guitars. Time to get something better than my Fender Performer 650 (loud, decent cleans and 'verb, lousy OD).

So in the spirit of apparently having to make absolutely everything I own by my own hands ('cept clothes) I've decided to build a dumble clone. Unfortunately my EE skills pale next to my ME skills, so after much searching I chanced upon the guys of Brown Note, who have recently finished building a kit to build one I have recently purchased.

Hooray for too many projects. It will be cool to be playing a rig that's entirely my handiwork, though, and I look forward to making a nice hardwood cab for it! Can't wait to get home from China (been here a month on business, killin' me) and play again, not to mention build something. Once I get back I'll finally get some good shots of the finished semi-hollow and put in my GOTM entry.

-Dave

i have an 80w valvestate marshall in the attic...but for some reason i can't help but play through my 10w squier amp...it just seems to get the tone that i actually want very easily.

*awaits onslaught from tone-freaks*

Hey Rhoads I bet you don't have any cobwebs in your workshop as that rig will truly blow them away.

Am I the only one here who plays a humble Valvetronic. I do get tempted by other amps but for practicality, portability this fits the bill as well as lots of nice tonal palette's when cranking thru my 335.

Edited by Acousticraft

-'69 Fender Bassman 50 watt head on top of a '65 Fender 2x12 cab. it's too loud, 'cause I ain't in a band no more.

-Home-made Champish 3-5 watt with PT and OT from an old Harmony H-410A that a friend beat to a pulp with a 2x4. It's plenty loud, 'cause I ain't in a band no more.

I have predujices about Crate amps since touring the factory, and the fact that Crate amps are about as plentiful as water in this town. I could say the exact same thing about Budweiser. (Ya know, if it's real easy to get, it must suck)

Someone in the neighborhood threw this away about a year ago. Perhaps I can turn it into a guitar amp. 4 6V6 tubes.

http://files.photojerk.com/soapbarstrat/tube_stereo3061.jpg

This was something i wanted to try for a while but never got round to it previously.

I plugged one of my big Hi fi stereo speakers into my Vox AD50VT amp and tried it both with my own handbuilt acoustic guitar and 335.

The acoustic sounded really good through the Boutique Clean(Dumble) setting once I dialed in the EQ settings. The 335 didn't sound as nice as the standard speaker did though.

I'm thinking the acoustic was good due to the big frequency response of a Hi fi speaker with its compliment of woofers, mid range and tweeters etc. (6 speakers). I thought if you were going to gig with a guitar amp using an acoustic this may be the way to go.

With a little volume and really plucking the bass strings I could get this cool sounding feedback going from about 8 feet away from the speaker.

Edited by Acousticraft

My main amp is a JSX combo which I love and I also have an old early 70's fender dual showman.

What I love about the JSX: Great warm tone, versatile and simple sounds between clean and ultra with a great crunch channel. The only thing I dont like about it is its treble high end. Need to watch that in the EQ. I use it with a bunch of effects but sparingly as the amp kicks ass by itself, mainly OD on the clean for SRV sounds, phase90 and MXR flanger for the VH tricks, a boss super chorus, CBH wah and delay and MXR 10 band EQ in the loop.

What I love about the fender dual showman: its old and stinks like an old tube amp should. Superb vintage clean tones. Its currently in storage back in australia :D

Edited by paulscape

You all need one of these when they are all finished

So which dovetail jointing system did you end up forking out for ? And is it any good ?

Oh yeah, I'm running through a Marshall jcm-800

cheers, Stu