Help with harmonics...

canuckguitarist

So, heres the story...

I can now, after reading a couple tutorials on the net hit harmonics pretty consistently on only a couple places on the neck. My question is...is there some tip/trick to being able to hit them all over the neck? It sucks wanting to put a harmonic in a song and then having to build the entire song around this 5th fret G-string harmonic(IMO the easiest one).

Simply put... Do I just need to practice more or am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Aaron

Depends on the type of harmonics. I think that you are talking about natural harmonics, if so there are only a few places on the neck where they will sound clearly (known as harmonic nodes) - the 12th fret, 7th, 5th, 4th, 3.2, 2.8, 2.3, etc. The closer you get towards the bridge the harder they will get, generally they are easier on the thicker strings too. If you use you bridge humbucker with plenty of gain they should all sound clearly.

Another type of harmonics which you will hear a lot are pinch harmonics (listen to some Dimebag or Zak Wylde riffs). Getting a consistent sound here is harder and more complicated as notes are generally fretted down moving the nodes.

I would really recommend you listen to a lot of Roy Buchanan for the 'pincher' technique.

You really gotta hold the pick so that there's almost NO pick showing, it's hard to explain, it's really pick and flesh in the right proportions...but you can really get pretty much any note to squeal if you get the right-hand pick-holding technique down...

And Roy was 'DA MASTAH' ad dat... :D

Zakk would have been bowing at da mastahs' feets..

I would really recommend you listen to a lot of Roy Buchanan for the 'pincher' technique.

You really gotta hold the pick so that there's almost NO pick showing, it's hard to explain, it's really pick and flesh in the right proportions...but you can really get pretty much any note to squeal if you get the right-hand pick-holding technique down...

And Roy was 'DA MASTAH' ad dat... :D

Zakk would have been bowing at da mastahs' feets..

yup, thats what I do. Only its so hard to get harmonics to sound any where but the 3rd string G (and a couple of other places). Oh well, I'll take wes' advice and just practice more.

yep, practice. i am pretty good at harmonics now becuase of practice. besides it's the only way to find them all.

Yes, they are natural harmonics. Not pinched (I think that's the word) harmonics like the ones Zakk does. When Zakk plays he uses both the pick and his thumb.

Hold the pick so that only the tip of it shows and "hit" the string with the edge of the pick and your thumb.

Natural harmonics is what Zakk plays in Stillborn, Low E 2:nd fret (F#)

Touch the string without pressing it down... Some tones are VERY hard to play but when you get the hang of it you can do some really cool stuff!!! B):D

For natural, remember that it's mirrored across the 12th fret. so the 5th fret harmoics is on the 17th fret too (I think...don't have a guitar here at work).

Also what i like to do is do natural harmonics while fretting...takes a little work and stretching of your hand, but I can fret with my index and hit the harmonic (lower ones) with my pinky. I haven't worked that into a song yet...but maybe I should start looking into that.

My fav's are 5th and 7th natural harmonics. I like to use them in conjunction with fretted notes and ringing open strings since the notes are in the same key (E minor - i think). Pinch harmonics are cool too. Just listen to the La Grange solo by ZZtop. Zack Wylde in No More Tears is good for the pinch harmonic to vibrato move. I use that a lot. But not in the cheesy 80's sounding way that he does it. :D j/k

I have a video of IA explaining some of his insane harmonics techniques, he definitely is the M4$T4 of natural harmonics...he uses the whammy bar as a support, though, depressing it slightly just before he hits the harmonic, then letting the bar return and then vibrating the hell out of it.

so long

ace

pinch/squeal harmonics can be achieved anywhere as long as you have the right technique....hold the pick very tightly with very little pick showing and strike the string at a right angle to the bridge (ie straight down)

hope that helps

dan

Since I don't use any picks, I used to finger a note then I put the index finger of my picking hand onto the place that is 1/2 of the fingered fret to bridge distance, then I pick the string with my thumb. 
Playing au naturel like the greats of Mark Knopfler & Jeff Beck, aren't we? That's a technique worth learning. I've studied classic guitar myself for years and It is completely different approach to playing and tone.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Something most people forget to metion with "pinch harmonics" is that your right hand can make the difference. try moving it up closer to the neck and down towards the bridge. I slao tend to put a little bit of my thumb knuckle into it as well. and remember thatt if you rig is saturated in choruses and reverbs and you've got your mids scooped out, it chokes the harmoinc. it doesnt5 make it impossible but it sure makes it hard! oh and when you do get it down take a tip from Zakk and shake the note like its a dead cat!

• 9 months later...

thought I would revive this thread because I dont understand Artificial and Pinch Harmonics :D

From what i understand, a pinch harmonic is where you do a harmonic and let the pick and a bit of your finger touch the string to get it to squeal, am I right?

I have not a clue on artificial harmonics

Curtis

artificial and pinch harmonic are the same thing.

sometimes in tab book you see pinch, or certain other books you see artificial.

your right about the method , the only thing is that depending on where you pick the string (ex:more closer to the neck pickup or more close to bridge) it will make different harmonic tone.

hope that helps :D

p.s. i didnt read the whole thread so maybe that part was explained earlier on, lol.....

Edited by swirlslave

For some reason, I can make my guitars squeal like no tomorrow on the last 3 strings, but on the first 3 strings I find it very difficult to get good solid pinch harmonics over a decent range, as there is only 1 'sweet spot' for me, and its like... over the fretboard :D On the bottom 3 strings i can hit em anywhere with a lot of different .. pitches? B)

Ah well, ive just put it down to bad technique... more practice is needed i guess!

Yeh, a pinch harmonic is when you pick the string then let your thumb hit the string which causes a squeal. Zakk Wylde does this ALOT. I find it much easier to do a pinch harmonic using Dunlop Jazz III's.

Zakk does it TOO MUCH IMO! On the Ozzy Live Budokan it gets annoying he does it so much. I've used Jazz III blacks for years (and yes they are different from the reds), regular picks feel huge to me these days.