Guitar Of The Month For May

Guitar of the Month for May  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All very impressive. I remember when hooglebug first posted sketches of desiree (or at least when I first saw them) and I'm surprised he thinks he didn't get it finished fast enough. It had my vote on account of it's well executed and difficult design...until I saw carvetop heaven. It wins for native (read: non-traditional) wood choice, and for being a first-time-build done flawlessly. Also, I am a fan of the offset grain (on both of these guitars)

My vote went to oz tradie

Not only a fantastic first build, but also highlights some of our beautiful

native timbers B):D

By the way Ledz, I not only work for but am a big fan of Holdens

(part of the General Motors stable here in Oz)

So for me F.O.R.D. stands for - Found On Rubbish Dump :D

Oh man, I am completely torn this month.

Verhoevenc - love the wood selection and the inlay motif is fabulous. Personally I'd prefer a gloss coat and I think the upper regions of the body are a bit small proportionally. A very strong build and boy is it a good thing you left the blue alone.

Alan - the hard black lines for contrast look tight, especially on that tummy carve. Control cover is lovely, but that top wood is both too busy and too plain for me (not sure how to explain that better). Another great build, but I have decided to stop voting for the pros... sorry.

Hooglebug - what a carve, it's uniqueness is outstanding. Matching headstock carve is a simply fantastic addition. The green works well enough for me, though I don't really dig on the back stain. That said the subtle touch of the abalone knobs matching the top is an excellent touch. Sweet inlay at the 12th to boot. Never been a big fan of "fake" binding, though you pull it off quite well. I do wonder abot playability though, how does that carve feel when strumming? All in all an ambitious undertaking, one I would not have conceived myself.

M2Wood - Me loves me some figured redwood and that is one clean clean, sharp build. Very nice execution.

Stu - stunning first pass, as others have noted. Very good worksmanship and attention to detail, lovely craftsmanship. The native aspect is very appealing (I've been mulling over a California native guitar for a while now) and the wood selection for color and figure are superb.. However the body is a bit "blocky" for my taste. If it was a little more feminine, softer corners and all that sexiness, I think it'd be a sure winner.

So thus I must mull a while longer. This is a very strong month despite the small number of entrants. Well done all!

-Dave

oooo iv got votes! yay!

all great guitars this month so im honoured to get so many votes so early on.

I do wonder abot playability though, how does that carve feel when strumming?

it feels completely natural. the wave doesnt get in the way at all (i too worried it would), and the body contours really do feel very comfortable. and i think i agree about the back of the neck - for the next one (which i think is gonna be a single cut, semi hollow version without the wave for my ex - arent i nice hehe) im gonna leave the neck natural.

Wow, this is a tough one. In terms of workmanship it's a tie; each one of these instruments looks completely professional, and I would be completely proud to own any of them (and I would probably explode with pride if I had actually BUILT one of them!). My gut led me to vote for oz tradie. The only thing that I don't like about it is the jack location (and the fact that it's backwards :D ), but that is a very (VERY!) minor quibble, more than made up for by the quality of the wood and workmanship. I had been half following the build thread, but I didn't realize that that body was ONE PIECE! Absolutely insane, and absolutely beautiful. A very classy guitar!

I was torn between oz tradie and hooglebug's designs. All in all, I think they're both amazing.

The carve on hooglebug's guitar is really well done and looks great, and I love the how the abalone knobs match so well with the color and design. The headstock carve was a great touch as well.

Oz tradie's guitar is just an amazing first build. The wood's are absolutely stunning, not to mention they're all native. The craftsmanship is impeccable.

I had to go with Oz on this one. I usually vote for the guitar I would most like to see my self playing. The top on hoogle's is amazing, but it is a little too busy for my personal tastes. Oz's guitar is probably my favorite clear coated electric of all time. The rest of the guitars are great builds, but none really jumped out at me like these two.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Congrats to all.

I like something in every one of them, and everything in some of them.

I found Skelf's bass most pleasing. Not sure why, but its an aesthetic thing. Just warmed me up when I looked at it.

Its a very difficult month.

verhoevenc- I love the wood choices, especially the wenge neck. I am not sure about the lower horn but its defiantely a nicely built bass

Skelf - top notch as always but i think i would prefer it if the top and back matched, but then i see it and i'm not so sure that matters.

hooglebug - i remember when you first presented the design, i wasnt sure you could pull it off but you definately have. The carve is great and the colour is very beautifull

m2wood - gotta love flamed redwood and those neck laminations look really classy. I really like this - makes me want to do a 6 string bass.

oz tradie - i wish my first was that pretty and major kudos for sticking with relatively local woods. personally i would have liked to see a bit more shaping on the back of the guitar, but thats being very picky.

I did manage to pick one to vote for- after considering it for a few days, but whenever i look back i think i i should have considered it for a bit longer. Maybe i shouldnt have voted at all!!

Verhoevenc, I really liked the use of wenge and the nice natural look of it. It looks like something I would build if I built a bass (and trust me, it's coming soon :D )

Skelf, I really like the back with that accent line, and of course the impeccable craftsmanship. But I really don't like the look of that top.

Hooglebug, I must also confess that when you first started the build I had little hope that you would pull it off. WOW, I'm glad I was wrong. That carve is really awesome, and so is the color. You should be proud :D May I make one suggestion, reaccessed straplocks would look really good with this design because the buttons wouldn't break up the lines of the body (especially on the upper horn)

m2wood, wow, what an amazing bass. I love the redwood, I love the body shape, but when I looked at the picture of the back I started drooling. Now thats what a bass should be (to me anyways). I think it's my favorite bass of all time.

Oz tradie, this is the one I voted for. Mainly because you did such an amazing job on your first guitar. I spotted a few finish blemishes and the like, but it's still very well done. I can't wait to see your second since you learned so much from this one. B)

I have to thank everyone for all the votes that got me the win last month. My first win!

My vote went to hooglebug - "Desiree" very ambitious carve on that beauty. Very clean work loved the entire thing.

I do have to say that verhoevenc bass was kick a$$ loved the laminations and overall design. Very nice work my friend for your first bass keep up the good work.....

Mike :D