Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmrentis

Lame Guitar Design

Yeah, so for a long time I have had this idea in my mind, but I have been able to suppress with ample amounts of medications, until recently. I know this isn't some killer design or anything and likely it's even been done somewhere, but I must do this one for some peace of mind. In the pic I have placed drawings of the two different pickout routes and the bridge(Hipshot fixed) I will be using, drawn to size except for the saddles which were sketched in(got measurements off Stewmac). When I decided to make my own pickup routing template, I became curious as to why they don't have them more closely shaped like the ears of pickups, but I figured not all pickups are shaped the same way and it's probably easier to install with a little room. Most likely I will use a normal version, unless my practice routes come out to my liking. Neck pocket is a tiny fraction big in oder to make sure I leave enough wood along the sides for neck support. My original design was slightly different, but when drawn to scale it did not leave enough room between the fretboard and lower horn. I made adjustments which increased this room, but changed the shape slightly, I believe the first version was better, but to have enough room it would have needed to be a good 16 inches wide at the widest part, maybe more. I know that even this version will not have a lot of room, but it will be enough for me, I made sure.

As I said, this will probably not be liked by many, but is something I must build for myself. As for woods it will be the neck that I have yet to finish which was maple/jatoba/maple. Cocobolo fretboard and headstock veneer. Kinda a uniquely figured Maple top. The body wood is the only piece I don't have yet and I might pick it up this weekend and am slightly undecided. The considerations are some figure mahog, bubinga, walnut, black limba, and the one that I have my mind set to buy which is this wicked stock of curly and figured Myrtle. The stuff just looks amazing and they have some fairly nice stock from 4/4 up to 12/4+. So, I gotta go check out and see what I can find. They also have some super curly eucalyptus wood that looks amazing, but I do not know it's instrument making qualities yet. Anyhow I am getting ahead of myself, well not really, just planning it all out. So here is my lame design that my mind is forcing me to build.

IM000025.jpg

Here is another pic of it, almost the same, slightly different angle (kinda) Design

I welcome all opinions, but it's unlikely that I change the design unless there is an obvious building problem. I still am working on the headstock, I had a couple in mind, but when I shared them with the design to a friend here, he felt that they didn't quite fit too round, so I am working on that still. As I was saying above the bridge, knobs, pickup routes are all cutouts just placed on the paper for effect not actual placement or anything. The neck pocket will also be a tad longer, although it's measured out to the same as my Ibanez and the bridge will be lower on the body once placed to scale.

no offence but that looks very ugly :D

maby if you put horns on the back too it would balence it out and make it look really really good.

but thats just my opinion. its your guitar do what you want :D

You gotta do what you gotta do, but I see some serious problems with that design, the primary one being that it's very much a large 'block'. It's got a few more points than Bo Diddley's guitar, but on the other hand Bo Diddley's is a reasonable size. Just for the record, and not meaning to "influence" you (well, OK, I'm hoping a bit...)

- the cutaways are too narrow (eg close to the neck). They won't actually allow improved upper fret access

- for seated playing, the 'angled' bit that would be the waist imight not be comfy

- for standing OR seated playing, the opposite side of the "waist" will poke into you.

(re: the two above points-- there are much more pointy-painful guitars out there, so that shouldn't stop you)

- the widest point of the cutaways is about the same width as the widest point of the butt end... this makes it seem boxy

- going to be unwieldly...

If you still wanna use that shape, I would seriously consider at least sizing it down a bit. <fake Scottish accent a la Mike Myers>It's frickin' HUGE!</accent>

Greg

The shape makes it look much wider than it is. The totaly length is just shy of what a RG is about and the waist is about 3/4's of an inch bigger than an RG. Like I said the shape makes it look big. Amazing how straight edges can change a look so drastically. Also, as I mentioned above I worked with the design until I felt completely sure I would have enough room for the upper frets. The neck pocket is slightly bigger than what it will be and the narrowest part of the cutaway is at the bottom of the fretboard, below where my hand would be. BUT it will not be a comfortable guitar by any means, I already had planned on that. Though most likely I will have nice rounded or well beveled edges which will take away anything sharp. As you mentioned Greg the widest part of the horns are close to the widest width, about 1/2inch or tad more less wide on each side, but that was the unavoidable part. If I angle the body sides in much more than that the horns start looking very out of place and huge and if you shrink those down then they look diproportionate to the body. The only way to make that idea which was my first design work, would to be to make the base or widest part a good 16 inches plus, in order to make everything in proportion and keep upper fret access. It's been a real pain in the *** to taylor it down from my orginal thought. As I said the shape is very tricky because the actual guitar is very very very closely shaped to my ibanez, minus the pointly part at the bottom. The horns are just moved in, but the body waist, base are all almost identical in dimensions to an RG which is hardly an oversized guitar. For now I will continue with the design and see how it goes. I think it will be better once I have a template designed because it will be easier to see size and what not and I can show you how the upper fret access will just be enough, for me:) Anyhow I truly appreciate all your comments and ideas. The only one aspect that I have been playing with is bringing in the left side a tad, I had just changed it because I had it come in more, which obiously made it look less bulky(even though the size was next to nothing in difference), but the problem was that it made it look uneven and crooked. In a rounded guitar it is easier because the difference is so subtle, but in a straight edges guitar with similar sides, the assymetrical look makes it odd, like it is crooked or something. Again, I will work on getting a template done soon as this will help with the visuals. I have a RG template that I made a while ago that I can show as comparison for size to this design. Again, thanks for the comments and ideas. J

This is the drawing with a number of changes. I have all the dimensions of my original that I can redraw up whenever. I gotta say it's easy to replicate guitars if they have straight edges, :D . Anyhow, I wanted to see what else could be done and this drawing has most of the revisions Greg spoke about. But they are revisions that fit my taste because after all this is the style I like and is going to be a one-of for myself. So, this drawing has increased fret access, the horns are brought in further from the waste, the overall width is reduced to 12 inches at the widest. Having to slim the top half of the guitar made it less sharp. Anyhow on that note it will be slightly rounded or beveled so it wouldn't be sharp really anyway. As I said before, it is very deceiving with straight edges. The first design is very close to the shape of an RG the body part, though the horns were a bit bigger and more centered. This newer drawing is actually smaller than an RG in width and about the close in height, with the waist being the same also. I know what you mean though about it looking like a block and thats what those straight edges cause, because the actual dimensions are closeto many guitars 12-13 width at base upto 8-9 inch waist. The only major difference is the placement of the horns. One thing else I gotta say is that pics are not turning out that well, it looks quite different to me in person, the photography seems to distort the pics somehow and even with editing I can't get the right ratio of width to height. I got some MDF today, so I will try to get a template done this weekend, if I have time, gotta lota homework mainly from my Religions class and sadly I know next to nothing about the worlds religions, so that homework takes extra long for me. So, here is another drawing with some of the revisions mentioned. I just want to see if they actually did help or change the look. PS: The guitar is much shorter than it appears at just over 18 inches! I have a feeling this will all look much better on wood, so we'll start with a template. J

guitardesign013.jpg

It looks at least a little better already, IMO. I'm not sure that I'll ever be a fan of it at all, but as long as YOU'RE happy with it, that's the main thing. Once the actual usability issues are addressed, the rest is just a matter of aesthetics, after all. :D

yer that looks ALOT better!!!

Sweet! Transformers! Haha, right on now I can market a childrens based line of guitars with the Decepticon being my main seller, lol. Actually, I gotta say the decepticons forehead is one of the coolest headstock designs I've seen in a while. Flip the middle of the design and you have a wicked V also. Hmmm, maybe the cartoon designer is from this site. J

Decepti-Vee.jpg:D

i love the headstock..but the body looks a bit meh

This is the drawing with a number of changes. I have all the dimensions of my original that I can redraw up whenever. I gotta say it's easy to replicate guitars if they have straight edges, :D . Anyhow, I wanted to see what else could be done and this drawing has most of the revisions Greg spoke about. But they are revisions that fit my taste because after all this is the style I like and is going to be a one-of for myself. So, this drawing has increased fret access, the horns are brought in further from the waste, the overall width is reduced to 12 inches at the widest. Having to slim the top half of the guitar made it less sharp. Anyhow on that note it will be slightly rounded or beveled so it wouldn't be sharp really anyway. As I said before, it is very deceiving with straight edges. The first design is very close to the shape of an RG the body part, though the horns were a bit bigger and more centered. This newer drawing is actually smaller than an RG in width and about the close in height, with the waist being the same also. I know what you mean though about it looking like a block and thats what those straight edges cause, because the actual dimensions are closeto many guitars 12-13 width at base upto 8-9 inch waist. The only major difference is the placement of the horns. One thing else I gotta say is that pics are not turning out that well, it looks quite different to me in person, the photography seems to distort the pics somehow and even with editing I can't get the right ratio of width to height. I got some MDF today, so I will try to get a template done this weekend, if I have time, gotta lota homework mainly from my Religions class and sadly I know next to nothing about the worlds religions, so that homework takes extra long for me. So, here is another drawing with some of the revisions mentioned. I just want to see if they actually did help or change the look. PS: The guitar is much shorter than it appears at just over 18 inches! I have a feeling this will all look much better on wood, so we'll start with a template. J

guitardesign013.jpg

this version is much better, but i'd still be concerned about the lower cutaway... the first guitar i built seemed like itd have enough room... until i actually tried it... i carved away a bit of the back side of the horns, but it still was almost not enough, sometimes i still hit on the point of the horn....

BuildingPics029.jpg

Thats my top for my design. I will start a progress page here soon, once I have some progress done. This is a top I got a while back for a semi hollow that I was getting close before my one piece body plank went all wonky on me. I came to believe that it wasn't fully dried, but not sure. Spent a bit of time trying all the advice and techniques everyone had on fixing it, but I guess purpleheart can be mean. No biggie though as it was heavy as hell. I will get it to a planer, thin it out and use it eventually for a laminate on something. This top though I got for it's variations, it has a number of different types of figure in it, as I go along I will get more and better pics to show what I am talking about. It has a little naptha on it for the pic although it was already drying in many spots.

I should be getting the body wood today or tomorrow. Hopefully today but I got a dentist and plenty of homework, so we shall see. I have everything else, here is a couple more pics of my neck blank which is from that other project, but hadn't started on yet and my fretboard and headstock veneer. The fretboard also has been sitting a while so it looks much darker, I like it a lot though, cocobolo always looks nice to me.

Neck and fretboard

Fretboard

Back of fretboard(easier to see what it will look like)

Headstock Veneer with some Sapwood

Neck and top

NeckNeck laminate cleaned up with naptha

Outlining for template on MDF

Imagining 6 years from now when it's actually done

Yeah, I like taking pics! Crappy camera though, that one is for naptha/dusty/painted hands. The better one will be used for the real pics when I get further. Anyhow, we'll see how the template feels and if it seems suitable, I'll start the project here soon. Jay

It kinda looks like A nuby B.C Rich black widow, Im not a big fan but build it any way maybe bevel the edges and that may help me like it more :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

You know, a few alterations and you will have yourself a Millennium Falcon guitar. B)

That's exactly what came into my head as soon as I saw it too :D I must admit that shape's not for me, but ey what ever floats yer boat :D