Wiring Kit For Epiphone Dot (335)

GotTheSilver

Howdy!

I recently purchased a Gibson ES-335. Now I want to start experimenting with my Epiphone Dot to learn about things such as electronics and wiring. I've seen a few wiring kits, and am mainly thinking about the "Complete Premium Vintage Electronics Upgrade Kit-Short Shaft" from RS Guitarworks.

Can anyone tell me if this would be the correct kit for the Epi? I believe the short shaft would be correct. Does anyone have any experience with one of these kits?

Thanks,

John

RS kits are great. I know people who've installed them on Epis and cheap Fenders and they have no desire to change out the pickups afterward. Short-shaft is what you want, but definitely do not get the pre-assembled kit because you may need to tweak it yourself.

Try to pull out the old wiring intact and use it as a guide to build the new harness.

RS kits are great. I know people who've installed them on Epis and cheap Fenders and they have no desire to change out the pickups afterward. Short-shaft is what you want, but definitely do not get the pre-assembled kit because you may need to tweak it yourself.

Try to pull out the old wiring intact and use it as a guide to build the new harness.

Thanks, Crafty. I plan to get the kit that is not pre-wired. I want to learn to do all of this myself. I have pulled out all of the wiring before to fix a disconnected ground wire. It is wired somewhat differently than a diagram I saw at guitarelectronics.com. I believe the RS kit comes with a wiring diagram also. I will compare all three and see how different they are. I imagine if they are different I would probably go with the RS diagram, since that is who I am buying the kit from. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

After I get the wiring and hardware changed out on the Epi, I plan to change out the pickups every now and then just to see what different pickups sound like. I'd like to try some Gibson Burstbuckers in it.

John

BB's are great pickups and you can usually find them for a great price second hand from all the Historic guys who are replacing them with Wolftones and Fralins. I like the Epi Dots because they really aren't made any different as far as the wood goes, and you can upgrade the hardware for next to nothing.

After I get the wiring and hardware changed out on the Epi, I plan to change out the pickups every now and then just to see what different pickups sound like. I'd like to try some Gibson Burstbuckers in it.

John

If you want to go different, try some P90 style pups in there! I just put GFS Mean90s in an Ibanez Artstar (ES-335 copy), and it's really cool. Single coils on steroids! But not really singles and not really humbuckers. Definitely a cool tone. I used to have the Gibson Classic 57s in it (a 57 plus in the bridge). Those sounded awesome too, but you probably have that in the ES-335. I'd be curious to hear BBs in a semi-hollow. My friend's got an LP standard and he feels that they're a little too trebly for him. The recordings I've heard of his axe sound great (Bang Camaro) but I'm not gonna question his ears since tone's so subjective. Whatever settles on will be awesome I'm sure.