Who Is Your Guitar Hero ?

charols

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list could go on forever.

Hendrix, May, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gilmour, Page got to be the coolest most melodic guitar work out on the live version of Stairway to heaven on his double neck gibson, Blackmore, Morse, Clapton, BB King, Chuck Berry, Iommi, Mark Farner, Phil Keaggy, and the list goes on. There are heaps of talented axeman out there that should and dont get mentioned often.

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Gary Moore come to mind immediately although there's a broad range of guitarists I idolize. More recently, I've been listening to gypsy jazz so I have to include Django Reinhardt and Stochelo Rosenberg.

Regards,

Robert

my idols are:

Dave Gilmore. because the music he wrote is so amazingly complex, and listening to it makes you feel like your on drugs. and he can put so much emotion into just a few notes.

john pettrucci, because not only can he shredd with amazing accuracy he is the only person i have ever heard who could play one of gilmores solos better than gilmore himself.

although john is mostly thought of as a shredder you can clearly hear the pink floyd influence in his music and solos, and when he wants he can put emotions into solos.

finally i idolise the maiden horsemen because they are the people that first made me want to play guitar. without them i probably wouldnt be into metal. they all have their own distictive sounds and solos and they work together amazingly in a band. noone can ever match the greatness of a classic iron maiden solo.

other guitarists i look up to are the trivium guitarists, because i love the way they play thrash metal, and the guitarists from 3 inches of blood, because i love their riffs and overall feel of their playing.

I know you guys will make fun of me but I still like the early works of Kirk Hammett

other than that...Satriani,Stevie Ray,Skolnick(testament days),you know....

What, no Kerry King? I thought I knew you better... :D

I don't make a habit of playing bass unless unless i'm feeling funky :D as I love the sound of 6-12 strings, but... I really really Like Victor Wooten and his brother,... When they're not slapping fretboards aimlessly they are fantastic players, engaging and soulful.

Oh and My other Fave was The lead guitarist guy from Focus :D

Edited by retro_10s

BB King

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Randy Rhodes

Richie Sambora

Eddie Van Halen

Neal Schon

Vito Bratta(White Lion)

Tommy Shaw

Tony Palacios(Gaurdian)

Oz Fox

George Lynch

Nuno Bettencourt

Eric Johnson

Jeff Beck

Slash

Michael Angelo This guy is a really great guy Went to dinner with him and John Puhl (Director of Sales)after

the clinic he did at Blue Rock Guitars & More. Extremely nice down to earth guy who is big on

education of music for kids. He was talking about not putting other people down and just do

whatever you want to do and pursue it with all that you are. He wasn't opinionated or thinking

he was God's gift to the music world just another guy, but with a great talent and ability to

play the guitar.

There are more but this will do.

Mike :D

Slash is the one who got me in to playing guitar in the first place, and although I can't say I'm a huge fan of VR he's still number 1 in my book. Followed by... (in no order) Brian May, Dimebag, Hendrix, Adrian Smith, Tony Iommi, Richie Blackmore.... I could go on for hours :D

In chronological order of people who made me think, "whoah, guitar is cool!"

- Eddie Van Halen

- David Gilmour

- Mark Knopfler

- Steve Vai

- Joe Satriani

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

- Chet Atkins

- Tuck Andress

And then the rest are a blur, though there are many. I can remember fairly distinct moments in time being 'introduced' to the above as guitarists and listening specifically to their guitar work (not at the exclusion of the rest of the song, I mean, but at least being very aware of the guitar's role in it)

In terms of "THAT's how I want to be able to play," probably Hendrix and also an unknown Canadian guitarist named Martin Tielli.