Who Is Your Guitar Hero ?

charols

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow some people have huge lists....kinda looks like this is just a "name good guitarists" thread.

Page got me wanting to learn guitar. Satriani got me wanting to play fast. Hendrix got me wanting to play on acid. Robert Johnson got me wanting to play the blues.

There are a lot of good players out there that I can easily name of that make me want to keep playing, but the names I listed were pivotal in my guitar life.

I have to say that one of my biggest influences through the years has been Mr. Hetfield. Him and the Slayer duo has made a huge impact on me, as well as Adrian Smith and babyface from Iron Maiden. More recently I try not to let people influence me, and instead let me be the influence.. Highly unsucsessful tho.. lol

:D

• 3 weeks later...

David Gilmour

Danny Gatton

Eric Johnson

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton

BB King

those are probably my top influences... all great musicians first, guitarists second. theres a lot of awesome guitarists out there that have no idea how to make melody and harmony speak

If you like Hetfield and The Slayer guys...check out Lamb of God...if you have not already...some gret guitar skills on "As the palace burns" and Ashes of the Wake.

Some nice guitar work sure but I ain't overly keen on the vocalist. They've done some decent stuff but not a group I'd choose to listen.

Some nice guitar work sure but I ain't overly keen on the vocalist.

That is what is strange for me...I don't know if it is evolving musical tastes or what,but I used to hate that type of gutteral vocals...now I love it...and I think he is one of the best at it...

Some bands never change pitch with those types of vocals,but he does that very well..

But you know...I used to be a fan of the Chuck Billy type of vocals...not as much anymore.

Some nice guitar work sure but I ain't overly keen on the vocalist.

That is what is strange for me...I don't know if it is evolving musical tastes or what,but I used to hate that type of gutteral vocals...now I love it...and I think he is one of the best at it...

Some bands never change pitch with those types of vocals,but he does that very well..

But you know...I used to be a fan of the Chuck Billy type of vocals...not as much anymore.

I like Chuck Billy and his later more gutteral stuff is excellent! I like lots of very gutteral stuff Napalm, Carcass, Suffocation etc but I just find the Lamb of God vocals a bit forced and kind of like he's putting on the voice opposed to say Phil Anselmo. But anyway some decent work - I did have a chuckle at this Lamb of God - Redneck lesson on You Tube . .. . spot the difference between the normal speed and the 'slow' versions! : :D

spot the difference between the normal speed and the 'slow' versions!

Yeah well..I guess the truth of the matter is that if you can't pick it up at regular speed you probably will have a hard time picking it up at all...

But there certainly is not much of a difference,eh?

I find Lamb of God to be amazingly fun to play...it always has a defineable groove that is so easy to get into...and just enough difficulty to keep it from getting boring.

Roy Buchanan (always at the top, R.I.P.)

Charlie Baty

Guitar Slim

Duke Robillard

Ronnie Earl

Albert Collins

Albert King

Buchanan not only influenced my sound, he influenced my guitar builds as well,

from picking the Telecaster as my 'home base' to the kind of electronics,

pickups, and hardware that I choose, is all Buchanan influenced in some way.

:D

Been a long time Drak.

I would have to qualify my influences based on contribution, otherwise there are simply too many.

1. Les Paul - For all things *electric* he contributed to modern music and guitar and is unique playing style.

2. Edward Van Halen - For taking us (me) in an inspiring new direction in the rock music world.

3. Al Di Meola - For showing me articulation can play a huge factor and there's something more than rock that's cool.

4. Me - When the point of evolution came where I discovered I had my own *voice* and began to develop and evolve that voice. This part never ends and is what keeps me going.

I guess i'll just pick musical influences

For Guitar:

Dimebag

Every 80's hairmetal guitarist (except Rhoads)

Angus Young

For Bass:

Cliff Burton

Steve Digiorgio

Greg Christian

And i'm gonna get shot for this, but Fieldy.

Fieldy is the bassist for Korn if anyone doesn't know. I hate him now, but when I first started, all I wanted to play was "Got The Life." Its easy now. I also drew up a custom bass for him. Here's the specs:

1 string (probably a B )

2 Frets

No tuning machines

Plywood body

A guitar pickup

No controls

Extra long strap

Basic hardware for holding one string in place.

I tell you what, he'd rock that thing!

Edited by Narcissism

Buddy Guy is a big hero of mine,I think he gets over looked way to much.Andy Timmons is another one,he is just now comming into his time.George Benson is just to cool to miss.There are just too many great players,I guess to me anyone that can get on stage and bring it is ok in my eyes.