Ziricote As Bridgeplate?

I was looking through my Ziricote set (this will wait for at least 6 guitars under my belt) and found he put in some thin nearly quarter sawn headstock plates as well as a bridge. Just wondering it Ziricote makes a good bridgeplate compared to Indian Rosewood. I hear Indian goes BOOM, better than Maple, so I imagine the Zirocote would be that and more? Anyone use any? Friovanni?

I was looking through my Ziricote set (this will wait for at least 6 guitars under my belt) and found he put in some thin nearly quarter sawn headstock plates as well as a bridge. Just wondering it Ziricote makes a good bridgeplate compared to Indian Rosewood. I hear Indian goes BOOM, better than Maple, so I imagine the Zirocote would be that and more? Anyone use any? Friovanni?

Bridge plate is going to potentially serve 3 purposes(to me). One to provide better wear in the bridge pin area(if you use a pinned bridge). Two it can act to prevent issues with humidity between the top and bridge(seal it up a bit). Three it becomes part of your bracing system. When I look at the bracing system and the significant functions of this plate. I see the addition of strength to resist twisting forces that could distort the soundboard(note you do not want a hard transition from the bridge plate to the soundboard as that could just displace the point it torques, thin out your bridge plate as you move to the outer edges for a smoother transition). The plate may also improve the coupling to the main braces to the bridge, but I am not sure this is a main function.

Personally, I have not used a bridge plate on my last few projects(mainly because of my bridge design, and I seal this inside of my tops with a wash coat of shellac). When I do use a pinned bridge I like to use Mahogany(med. weight, stiff, durable) and soft Maple is similar to Mahogany, EIR is heavy and strong so I would use it in a very very thin plate(almost too thin). Zircote(Mexican crack wood) to me is a bad choice for a sound board, mainly because it is less stable than other woods that could suit this purpose better.

As far as it going boom... You have to look at the soundboard wood, density and stiffness, your bridge weight, type of bridge, shape of bridge, Bracing pattern (stiffness and density), type of strings and so forth. All these things need to blend together or be matched well. You can't Hotrod a soundboard with a single element, it needs to be a well balanced machine(so to speak).

Hope that helps, Maybe Mattia will chime in. He is much smarter than me when it comes to these things :D .

Peace,Rich

Bridge plate is going to potentially serve 3 purposes(to me). One to provide better wear in the bridge pin area(if you use a pinned bridge). Two it can act to prevent issues with humidity between the top and bridge(seal it up a bit). Three it becomes part of your bracing system. When I look at the bracing system and the significant functions of this plate. I see the addition of strength to resist twisting forces that could distort the soundboard(note you do not want a hard transition from the bridge plate to the soundboard as that could just displace the point it torques, thin out your bridge plate as you move to the outer edges for a smoother transition). The plate may also improve the coupling to the main braces to the bridge, but I am not sure this is a main function.

Personally, I have not used a bridge plate on my last few projects(mainly because of my bridge design, and I seal this inside of my tops with a wash coat of shellac). When I do use a pinned bridge I like to use Mahogany(med. weight, stiff, durable) and soft Maple is similar to Mahogany, EIR is heavy and strong so I would use it in a very very thin plate(almost too thin). Zircote(Mexican crack wood) to me is a bad choice for a sound board, mainly because it is less stable than other woods that could suit this purpose better.

As far as it going boom... You have to look at the soundboard wood, density and stiffness, your bridge weight, type of bridge, shape of bridge, Bracing pattern (stiffness and density), type of strings and so forth. All these things need to blend together or be matched well. You can't Hotrod a soundboard with a single element, it needs to be a well balanced machine(so to speak).

Hope that helps, Maybe Mattia will chime in. He is much smarter than me when it comes to these things :D .

Peace,Rich

Lol, Mexican Crackwood. $250.00 Mexican crackwood. :D Well, maybe Ill thin em out to do a couple test bends in the tight spots.

The stuff has lots of oil or something, after I run the chisel over it it goes super smooth. I looked a piece at the woodshop I use and I knew it would be making an awsome sound. It does make an awsome guitar, if the builder does it right.

Hope that helps, Maybe Mattia will chime in. He is much smarter than me when it comes to these things B) .

Peace,Rich

Lol, Mexican Crackwood. $250.00 Mexican crackwood. :D Well, maybe Ill thin em out to do a couple test bends in the tight spots.

The stuff has lots of oil or something, after I run the chisel over it it goes super smooth. I looked a piece at the woodshop I use and I knew it would be making an awsome sound. It does make an awsome guitar, if the builder does it right.

:D Sorry fella, I didn't come up with the name(picked up on it from other builders). Actually I have a set I just bend. The wood did not break during bending(nice tight cutaway), however it does split like no other wood. Super glue will fix it(just be sure to find all the fractures). I re-saw my own wood so my sets don't cost me $250, but that is about right for retail sets. I love the landscaped figure that is found in this wood. Some pieces are just mind blowing.

It is a resinous wood. It can clog paper on my drum sander like no other if I don't run fast light passes. Very dense wood.

Peace,Rich