Painting A Floyd Rose?

White powder coat. LOL

honestly, I dunno. I'm just mucking around, but I have no real answer to your question. I can tell you this: you might want to consider picking a subset of parts which could actually be painted (or powder-coated! I don't know what's involved to get something powder-coated) without affecting mechanics, and which might hold up for a decent amount of time.

For example, if it's possible (and I'm not even sure it is):

- the baseplate and arm of the FR

- the tuners excluding the shaft

- FR locking clamp

I can't imagine there being any good argument for painting frets. They're frets! Even powder-coat will likely eventually get ruined-- it's durable, but not absolutely invulnerable. A white fretboard with stainless or nickel frets is a reasonable compromise.

You could have it painted without using powder coat, but it will be expensive. First you have to have the original plating stripped off (electrically is probably the best way). Then I would have it sprayed with an etching primer and then auto body paint. But you'll still end up with a decent thickness to the paint, so it still may not function properly.

Powder coating is,in fact,the way it is done...look at Jonathon Esque's blue seven string with the all white hardware and the paw print inlay...it is in the GOTM archives.

There was a guy who was powdercoating on this board,I was going to have some hardware done at one time,but it was so cost prohibitive that I did not ever do it.I think he sold his equipment.

I am not sure how long the powdercoating would last under the heavy handedness of my trem work,so I would hate to spend alot only to have it wear off.

as far as frets go,there is no chance....unless you have a way to make ceramic frets.

Powder coating is,in fact,the way it is done...look at Jonathon Esque's blue seven string with the all white hardware and the paw print inlay...it is in the GOTM archives.

Its here:

http://users.pandora.be/marnix.ghesquiere/ondex.html

That guitar's the first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread too.

Edit: Here for the hardware painting bit specifically; http://users.pandora.be/marnix.ghesquiere/hardware.html

Edited by Ben

I've powdercoated a tele bridgeplate, string trees, control plate, and tuners....All white, it's definately doable, the cost might be the issue though.

I am the member that powdercoats hardware

I am still doing it, but I am backed up at the moment

If anyone is interested, please contact me

oh......and never paint! It will wear down quickly

Edited by DaveK