Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmrentis

Quick It Class Question

I'm working on some homework I have for an IT class I just started. FYI its online through University of Phoenix. The class is called Fundamentals of Programming with Algorithms and Logic and its the second week. I find this stuff interesting, but I have yet to grasp everything, so any help would be appreciated.

So, this assignment is basically doing the super simple basic outline for our final project which is to design a little currency conversion program which converts 5 different foreign currencies to $. As I said we just started this class and just went through what an input/process/output chart looks like and super simple pseudocode. So for the assignment we must generate input/process/output chart using a structured programming approach, a hierarchy chart, and the first which I not sure about, which is "to list the application-level requirements".

I have pretty well searched through all the material and didn't really find anything that explained this simply. My best guess is to make a list of what the program needs(requires) to function? There is a list with 5 numbers for this part of the assignent, so my teacher wants 5 answers.

I really just cannot understand what exactly is the desired response is for this section, being that there are 5 answers desired, I feel that the answers are specific. Anyhow, if anyone has any idea I would greatly appreciate it. I believe this section is probably very easy, but my mind just won't help out. Thanks again, best wishes. J

PS: Its a menu driven program

Isn't the "Application Level" the top level of a program? For example, you can declare variables in the Application Level, Function Level, Class Level, and so forth. A basic example would be:

dim intVarOne As Int

dim intVarTwo As Int

Function myFunc As Int (var1, var2)

dim intVar3

intVar3 = var1 + var2

myFunc = intVar3

return myFunc

End Function

myFunc (intVarOne, intVarTwo)

This is by no means a working program snippet :))) But we declared the top two variables in the Application Scope and the "intVar3" variable in the Function scope. The Application scope covers all. So "Application Level Requirements" are simply the main things an application would do. Your application can compute total yearly salary of ALL employees but to process the total yearly salary of a SINGLE employee can be the job of a class inside the application. I think you must list the MAIN things your application would do.

BTW, what is the programming language? I will gladly help with C# and VB.

All the best.

so whats the exact question sorry

do u need to know what prgram to use to write the software or what??

sorry i missed it

Thanks for the post motor. I had turned it in already, but I basically did it as you said, by basically describing what the main functions of the program would be. Its hard to explain without posting all the appendix pages and assignment, but as I was trying to say this is very early on in the IT program and only the second week for this particular class which is about programming and logic. So, I am just catching on to the whole concept. The section that I asked about didn't need to be in code or even pseudocode "yet". Thats why I was trying to explain how early on this is and how easy probably for most people. But I think you answered my question very well and was my general assumption of what it was. Thank you for the help Motorbreath. This thread might be used again for this class, lol.

Basically, I had to fill out this very simple page for the assignment. The first section was asking to list application-level requirements. That is the part that I was having problems with, it wasn't that I couldn't figure it out, I just didn't know what exactly it was asking, mainly because nowhere in our material was this information called "application level requirements" and that threw me off a bit, like I said this is very early on in IT. The rest was easier as I had already done similar stuff. The next section was an input/process/output chart and the last part was a hierarchy chart showing the order of the modules/submodules, ect.

No code needed yet, we have been messing with pseudocode, but within the next few weeks we will start doing code. Not sure which program language though I'll look, but I know one of my next IT courses is Java, so I'd guess thats what it will be in, who knows though.

I feel like my IT classes have been out of order. The last one, my final project wanted me to write up a project development plan using the seven step plan Systems Development Life Cycle for a fictional company that our text was about. This company had like 6 locations, some franchises, and a mobile shop of sorts and they only had like a few PCs to work with and everything was done on paper. We had to develop a systems plan for them including everything like databases type model, ect, internet backup site, a proper network including topology and such, plus a bunch more taking into consideration that they were opening an online store and needed security and more. There was a good 15-20 pages on info on the fictional company and we had to develop a systems plan for them. That was the second IT I have ever taken and the first one was just a basic introduction. I ended up doing well. I couldn't believe he wanted us to do all that and these courses are only 9 weeks long and everything is crammed in, so its not like we have time to be working on it everyweek. Sorry, venting a bit. Between that and another class I had in my last block, I was extremely burnt out after finals and those classes ended last sunday at midnight and my next ones started that monday at 12:01am, so no break at all.

Anyhow, thanks again. I'm definately trying my best as I would like to keep me GPA up to see if I can get some kinda grant or something because I have very little income and that would help. I do get some financial aid so that helps a bit. J

Yes, it seems a little out of order. This last example you gave reminds me of some ERP projects, only on a smaller scale. I know only a little about Java, but this new C# thing is very close to Java when it comes to actual programming and syntax. And I can always help with databases, especially MS-SQL.

Cheers.

Cool, thank you very much for the help. I'd imagine I would be able to grasp it better within a normal school class length, but this school program moves a little quicker. Anyhow, thanks again for the help and I appreciate the offer on futher help, depending on how well I grasp later material I might have some future questions, for some reason my brain couldn't process that question. Thanks, J.

Well I took both C++ and VB in school so I may be able to answer some questions on either of those if you need.

Thank you! Right now our instructor is trying to explain how everything works in general so that we can easily (easily yeah right!, lol) learn any language we may jump into, though I know that my next class is Java. I think the basics we are going to be learning are more based on the C++ and Java languages (I think), mainly because this has been discussed. Right now, I am just grasping what we are doing, so hopefully it will start clicking for me as most classes do, but if not I would really appreciate the help.

This class is more about how to go about setting up algorithms/logic in programming regardless the language, sounds weird, but its just the basic concept of programming, so most assignments can be done in psuedocode in other words cheesy english code that you just make up to sound like something, like for my last assignment I had to output taxes based a persons salary, the program had to define which of 5 or 6 salary brackets the salary number fell into, then add a base tax for that bracket, then take the difference between the salary and the minimum salary for that bracket and multiply it by the specific tax percentage for that bracket. then add the base tax and excess take together for total taxes on the salary. So in the cheesy language, I called salary Sal and the excess tax as Extax and what ever. Easy crap compared to the languages.

Like I said this is just beginner stuff, this last one was to help learn sequentional, selection, and loop control structures. Again thank you very much for the offer and I will likely be asking a few questions when I just absolutely can't make sense of the material, thanks. Jason