Guitar Of The Month For September

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 23rd of August then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Please Give Your Guitar a Name or Nick Name as well :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Here's my entry.... it's my first ever guitar!!!

cmcg1-01.jpg

NAME: “CMCg-I” (named after my girlfriend, Christina)

Body: 2 piece Spanish Cedar back, 2 piece Canary Wood top (semi-hollow)

Neck: 3-piece Mahogany (deep set), “Black & White” Ebony fret-board

Hardware: Grover locking tuners, Hipshot™ Fulcrum tremolo, Dunlop strap-locks.

Pickups: PRS McCarty (neck & bridge), Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails (middle)

Controls: master volume, “tap/on” switch that acts as a push/pull coil tap for the neck and activation of the middle pickup, 3-way toggle switch

Extras: Canary-wood tremolo cavity cover plate, bone nut, matching truss-rod cover cut from same wood as the fret-board (black & white ebony).

cmcg1-02.jpg

cmcg1-03.jpg

cmcg1-04.jpg

So, I set out to build a semi-hollow body guitar with a tremolo. I decided to merge everything that I had come to love about my favorite guitars and build my own "signature" guitar.

Everything about this guitar is hand-made (in terms of the wood aspects). The neck was carved by had from 3 pieces of mahogany, then set deep into the semi-hollow Spanish cedar body. The fretboard is "Pale Moon Ebony" or "Black & White Ebony". The pattern was extraordinary when I spotted it at a local exotic hardwood store in Atlanta, GA. I had to have it for this build! The guitar body's top wood comes from a piece of Canary wood that was told to have been used on a crate that came from Mexico in the 1960's or 80's (came from the same exotic wood shop as the Ebony).

I chose to finish this project with Danish oil, since I wanted to preserve the natural qualities of the woods used and not have a shiny surface.

Again, I am quite happy with my first build and I am glad to be able to share it with you all!!!

i think i will enter the black burst telecaster this month - even though i didnt build the neck i am very happy with it. the neck has neverbeen on a guitar before so is essentially NOS

Specs:

Korina body with flamed maple top

70's tokai breezysound maple neck.

wilkinson grover style tuners

Seymourduncan jazz neck pickup

Seymour duncan hot rails bridge pickup

ebony string through ferrule (hidden by finish in all but the brightest light)

9-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/10-1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/0.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/5-1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/4-2.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/3-2.jpg

clicky thumnails converted to links at mods request - might just be worth clarifying that in the rules section since the thumbnails are generally accepted instead of links in the rest of the forum!!

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

Name: Floral SG.

Specs: 25.5" scale with 24 frets, neck-thru construction, mahogany for both body and neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. Hard tail, string-thru body bridge.

The pickups are vintage, brand new old stock from a little known and now defunct guitar manufacturer. They sound great.

Total cost of the guitar was somewhere in the region of £70 ($140), as reclaimed timber was used, along with second hand parts.

Edited by Masina

OK here's mine. Build it in februari till june 2007. Its my second.

My first guitar was an acoustic dreadnought.

This Bass plays and sounds like a dream.

Specs:

Ful scale bass,

Avodire top

Swampash body

Maple neck

Ebony finger board

Gotoh hardware

Bartolini J bazz pick ups

Controls Volume, Tone, Balance

In the boudoir

klaarclose.jpg

Front

klaarvoor.jpg

And the back

klaarachter.jpg

Regards

Wim

This the second EVX Dominator Custom that I've built. It's a loose spin off of the Ibanez XV500. Some of you might have checked out my prototype EVX in the "in Progress" section of this forum. This EVX sports several refinements such as an improved headstock, Natural wood cover plates and Linseed oil finish. This one also has passive pickups where the prototype was loaded with Seymour Duncan Live wires.

Specs:

Neck:

25.5" 22 fret Indian Rosewood Fretboard

Dunlop 6150 Fretwire

Maple side position markers

Zebrawood headstock cap

Body:

Padauk Neck though construction

Solid Zebrawood wings

Rear cover plates: zebrawood (magnetically held on with 4 rare earth magnets each)

Electronics

Seymour Duncan SH6N- neck

Seymour Duncan SH6B- Bridge

3- 500K alpha pots

Les Paul style 3-way toggle

Switchcraft Mono Jack

Sprague Orange drop .33Uf caps

set up as master volume - neck tone - bridge tone

Hardware

Bridge: Kahler 7300 Hybrid Tremolo

LP style jack plate

Q-Part knobs with cats eye pearl tops

Kahler "behind the nut" string lock

Grover Tuners

Finish

Open grain with boiled linseed oil finish

100_2990.jpg

100_3012.jpg

100_2985.jpg

The neck is shaped like an early model Les paul.

100_2982.jpg

Edited by zyonsdream

Here's my first build. I did all of it by scratch except for slotting the fret board. After 3 refinishes and 1 refret its ready for GOTM! The shape is inbetween the Jackson KV2 and the B.C. Rich Speed V.

Specs:

Name: RIP V

Body: Alder

Neck: 3pc Maple neckthru, Rosewood fretboard, 24 Dunlop 6100 frets, compound radius 10-15

Hardware: Original Floyd Rose, "Fender" style jack, recessed Dunlop Strap Locks, random tuners

Pickups: Two Bill Lawrence USA XL-500's

Electronics: Two Vol, 3 way switch, and coil shunts for both pups

Finish: Behlens Nitro, Colortone Red and Black

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

More finished and in progress pics can be found here: Distorted_ Frequency

Thanks for looking,

Rob

This is the second guitar I've made and I'me very happy with the results. I kind of like the Beatnik Mojocaster for the name.

As you can see it's by my own creation, two huge cavities inside under the f-holes, an original neck, original body design, and an original pickguard shape.

The bridge pickup is very close to the bridge itself, and several people thought that it may sound thin, tinny, and weak but it doesn't at all. The Hot Rails pick-up cuts like a knife where it's placed and the JB jb jr. is very warm and full this close to the neck. With the switch in the middle position it is well rounded with a very strong bottom end with cutting highs.

Wood specs.

Mahogany tone wood

Quilted maple cap

Bakote neck

Ovangkol fretboard

Hardware specs

Grover locking tuners

Floyd Rose string bar

Bone nut

Tonepros locking tune-o-matic bridge & tailpiece

Hand made tortoise shell pickguard (5-ply .090)

Q-Parts mini tortoise shell dome knobs

Dunlop dual lok strap buttons

Electronics

Seymour Duncan pickups

JB jb jr. (neck)

Hotrails (bridge)

Gibson 3-way switch and potentiometers

Finish

Custom mixed Minwax stain

Duplicolor van/truck black paint

Minwax glossy nitrocellulose lacquer

P1010101.jpg

P1010100.jpgP1010092.jpgP1010091.jpg

Edited by J_48_Johnson

I originally didn't plan on putting this guitar in the GOTM competition, but there's a really great batch of guitars in GOTM this month, so I though joining in would be fun. I call this one the "Rising Sun" themed Tank Top.

Anyhow, this guitar was completed two days ago; I'm really happy with the way it turned out in all respects. I got a chance the other day to plug it in and play it a bit. With the volume rolled back, it's got a thick, clear sound. The strings feel a little looser than what I'm used to with 24.75" scales, even though I use earnie ball heavy bottoms on all of my electrics. My best guess is that it's due to the added string length from the string-through design and the lower friction at the nut because of the zero fret and small string retainers. The pickups respond to gain pretty well, and you can get some pretty good blues and hard rock sounds as well. The whole time I was building this guitar I was a little worried that it would end up neck heavy. It ended up not being an issue after all. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to fully intonate it or tweak the pickup heights and bridge height etc. I had to bring it to an art gallery for a show that's starting next week. I'm going through a mild state of new-guitar withdrawal at the moment, to be honest.

Here are the specs:

Back wood: Swamp ash w/ (dyed)maple veneer accent lines

Top wood: orange maple veneer/natural maple veneer/ .1" cocobolo/ japanese flag theme in maple marquetry

Neck: Cocobolo, set neck

Fretboard: Madagascar Ebony w/ cocobolo and copper inlays. Cocobolo binding.

Headstock Overlay and Backstrapping: Ebony

Nut: None, zero fret with banjo 5th string nuts as string guides

Tuners: Sperzel Locking

Bridge: Stewmac roller Tune-O-Matic

Pickups: Kent Armstrong overwound p90's with maple/cocobolo covers

Controls: 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way pickup selector

Scale: 24.75"

Finish: Hi-Gloss clear polyester on body, Teak Oil on neck

25.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

4.jpg

Here are some linked pictures:

Back of Body

BackStrapping Detail

Fretboard

Body 1

Body 2

Body 3

Pickup Covers

Headstock

If you prefer bigger pictures that show a bit more detail, check out the my site via the link below:

https://garehanguitars.com/The__Rising_Sun__Tank_Top.html

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

This is my first complete build. It is called the Erebus VR. It was built for a very talented :D and long time friend - VR.

Here are the specs:

Les Paul Jr double-cut style

2-piece mahogany body

mahogany-purpleheart-mahogany (fat) neck with ebony peghead straps, and heel cap

birdseye maple fretboard, ebony 12th fret initials

Kent Armstrong coil tapped P-90 (10k - 7.5k ohm) pickup

Wilkinson bridge

Grover Imperial tuners

dual action truss rod

Paua abalone inlay

ebony cavity cover held in place with neodymium magnets

nitrocellulose laquer finish

Cheers - Greg

gtom1.jpg

gotm2.jpg

gotm6.jpg

gtom4.jpg

A few more shots:

Double cut

Volute

Another top shot

Thought I mayswell have a go, though the competition seems fierce!

This is my latest acoustic: DMG003. Specifications are as follows...

Overview: Steel-strung seven-string acoustic guitar

Body Shape: Martin 000, self-designed florentine cutaway

Construction: Dowelled tenon

Top bracing: Off-centre X, my own design

Back bracing: Double-X

Back & Sides: Highly flamed European walnut

Top: European Spruce

Neck: Seven-piece laminate of rosewood, maple, ebony and flamed sycamore with twisted headstock.

Fretboard: Ebony

Bridge: Ebony

End graft: Brazilian rosewood

Body binding: Brazilian rosewood

Rosette: Brazilian rosewood spiral

Fretboard markers: Brazilian rosewood side blocks with maple binding

Scale length 736.6mm (29″) - bass side. 647.7mm (25.5″) - treble side.

Nut width: 55mm

Neck width at 12th fret: 63mm

Fretboard radius: 16″

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

For more photos of this and my other guitars please visit www.darkmatterguitars.com

This is looking like one of the most interesting GOTM's for a while, so I guess I'll try to make it more so;

CopyofPHTO0633.jpg

The specs are:

# 28" scale length

# 1pc Zebrano body

# Wenge neck and fretboard with zebrano inlay

# 24 frets

# Gotoh tuners

# Danish Oil finish

# GFS Mean90 (neck)

# GFS 'Crunchy PAF' (bridge)

# 1 vol, 1 tone, 6 way rotory pickup selector, wired as follows;

1. Bridge humbucker (series)

2. Bridge humbucker (parallel) + Neck P90 in parallel with bridge

3. Neck P-90 on its own.

4. Bridge humbucker (series) + Neck P90 in series with bridge

5. Bridge single coil (split humbucker) on its own

6. Bridge single coil (split humbucker) in series with the neck p90

The knobs in the photos are temporary. I'm replacing the vol and tone with smaller knobs. The pup selector (knob nearest the bottom of the pic) will remain large though.

The body shape is my own design, but it borrows heavily from the fernandes ravelle, just with an extra horn.

PHTO0632.jpg

My brother playing it:

PHTO0626-1.jpg

---------------------------------------

Here's a soundclip:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3206124b7f549d/

I recorded it with a cheap and nasty (£1 !) Headset-microphone, so its not exactly professional sound quality, but it gives you an idea of how it sounds.

You can hear the guitar acoustically too, because I had to record it at low volume.

Heres some more metal-ish stuff. My playing kinda sucks because I dont play much metal- I just think it suits the lower tuning. But then again my playing kinda sucks anyway.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3206292b2e2059/

---------------------------------------

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...yofPHTO0543.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...yofPHTO0619.jpg

PHTO0595-2.jpg

As names go, I think I'll just go with "Zebrano Baritone". Never been one for naming guitars personally.

Thanks to anyone who votes for me!