Stud Inserts For Floyd Rose

I'm having a hard time getting the studs in for my jackson dk2 body. I dont want to hammer them in because it might damage them or the body. I was thinking maybe open up the hole a little but it sounds weird. Is there any other way I can get them in? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!! :D

Edited by GuitarMan686

Have you measured the metal studs with calipers, or are you aware of EXACTLY the right size drill bit to use and have used it?

It is critical to use exactly the correct size bit.

Too big, too wobbly..too small, you'll split or crack the wood when you drive 'em home.

Otherwise, if you're using the right size bit, just drive 'em home nice and firm. I use a smallish block of wood between the hammerhead and the stud so I don't chip the finish on the stud tops.

• 6 months later...

does anyone know what the exact size drill bit needed for Original Floyd Rose inserts is? i don't have calipers or anything to check, and the 3/8" forstner bit i drilled the holes with doesn't seem to have made the holes *quite* large enough. it appears to be a very small amount that the holes need to be enlarged....maybe 1/32" or less. i attempted to press in one of the studs last night, using a quick-grip clamp, but it was extremely difficult to even get the stud half way in. thoughts/suggestions?

does anyone know what the exact size drill bit needed for Original Floyd Rose inserts is? i don't have calipers or anything to check, and the 3/8" forstner bit i drilled the holes with doesn't seem to have made the holes *quite* large enough. it appears to be a very small amount that the holes need to be enlarged....maybe 1/32" or less. i attempted to press in one of the studs last night, using a quick-grip clamp, but it was extremely difficult to even get the stud half way in. thoughts/suggestions?

if it is that close, you may want to find yourself a 13/32" bit.

13/32 will be way too big for a solid inserts.

Floyd Rose inserts are 11/32. Adding 1/32 would be 12/32 = 3/8. Floyd Rose inserts needs to anchored solidly. You don't want to pry them out using the tremolo. I wouldn't go bigger than 3/8. I use a Dremel to shim the holes a little bit then it's too tight. Just be careful not to 'square' the holes. And don't go overboard with the shimming. Here's why;

Remember that 11/32 is without the knurls. The knurled part of the insert needs to cut it's way throught the wood. That's why it's called 'anchor bushings'. That's what makes them solid. Anytime you go bigger than 11/32, you make the anchors less solid. Woods like alder, mahogany are soft enough to let the knurls dig their way in.

I never press them in one shot. I go 1/2", then pry'em out. I repeat the step, with the knurls aligned in their respective 'digs', and then I press them all in. Go slowly, and don't pound like madman if you use a hammer. Wood is like a woman. Don't go too hard when you come in. Just let it slowly adapt itself. :D

Ok, bad example :D But you get the idea.

Edited by MescaBug

Yeah I know. But what I'm telling is that you don't need more than 3/8 for a Floyd Rose insert, and that's a fact. More that that, and they might pop out after heavy tremolo use. There is a way to install them, and even if they feel too tight, that's what they are made for, being tight by holding everything in place. It's not just a matter of drilling larger. There are some tolerances you have to follow to avoid a sloppy job. You have to understand how things works, and how they are made. Then you can start working.

Unless, of course, his inserts are bigger than that. But that's a thing you HAVE to know before drilling into a guitar. I never, never drill without knowing the exact specs. If I can't my hands on the specs, I simply choose another part I feel 100% confident about.

Edited by MescaBug

..with a tape measure and the diameter looks to be 3/8"....

Looks to be? Visually, are you able to tell the difference between 11/32 and 12/32? No. 1/32 is not a big difference, but it's a lot when you try to force something into a hole. Maybe your inserts are bigger than that?

If it's the first time you try to install inserts, you'll think they are too tight. But believe me 3/8" is enough, assuming inserts are 11/32. Yes it can take some pressure to get them in. I'm not telling you to press them in with a sledgehammer and crack the wood. You can use a Dremel to enlarge the hole a little bit. Just be careful not to 'square' the holes.

Using a hammer is not best way to do it.. You can build yourself a temporary pressure jig using 2 planks and some C-clamps. You can control the pressure with clamps, or drill press. Not with a hammer. It's the 'fire-and-forget' way to do it. And it can turn to 'fire-and-regret' pretty fast..

Edited by MescaBug