1953 fender tele

krazyderek

just saw one of those road shows where the antique appraisers go from city to city looking at people old junk....

anyways i just turned to the channel when a guy was sitting down with his 1953 fender tele, transparent yellow/butter on an ash pody, black 1 ply pickguard, maple neck, the body was in pretty good shape for never being repainted, but the neck was worn to ****, like ultra relic, anyways, everything on the guitar was original, the guys brother baught the guitar for 40$ and the thing was structurally sound.... the appraiser said it was worth 8,000$-10,000$ which is about right i think... i was actually impressed with the appraisers knowledge of vintage guitars.... but man..... what a lucky guy.... 40 dollars is all his brother or sister paid for it!!!!!!! :D

I hope you're sitting down, because a couple months after I was discharged(USMC-1960-64)), I moved to Santa Rosa, CA. One day, one of the apartment tenants overheard my conversation about guitars, and brought out to the swimming pool, a 1952 Fender Tele. He was trying to sell it for $100(!) so he could pay his rent that month. I remember it was beat to hell, and the pickup was chipped. At that time, I was saving my money for(of all tyhings) a Venture's model Mosrite, which I bought for c.$300 as soon as they were available. Saw the guy about a month later. He said he sold the Tele for $85. Told him I was buying a Mosrite. He didn't seem impressed.I now own an original '67 Tele that I've kept in excellent condition. I bought it in Reno from a guy who's wife was ready to deliver their first child. Gave him $125 of the last $150 my wife and I had in the bank. That was in 1970. Today, I'm guessing I can get about $4K for it. Moral: Marry the right woman!

• 2 weeks later...

soo true! i passed up the chance to buy a decent jackson, an old cool one for 50 quid, i spent the money on a 505II effects pedal, boy did i feel suckered! however ive got rid of the 505II and use Korg and have a beautiful Ibanez, so im okay, lol

mike