Hot Humbucker - With "tone"?

Alexander

Hi all,

I've got an old Kramer Pacer Deluxe which I'm modifying as a bit of a toy/second guitar (my Warmoth parts guitar I built is still my number one, well 02 actually but never mind).

I like hot humbuckers - around the 16k mark is great for me. I've got a Bareknuckle Miracle Man in my main guitar and a Bareknuckle Nailbomb in one of my others. They're awesome, but I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for "hot" humbuckers that still kick out loads of harmonics but that clean up really nice for that chunky, sparkly Les-Paul kind of clean tone when I roll the volume back? Maybe I should get something a bit more vintage in resistance and goose the amp harder with my Fulltone OCD?

I'm able to experiment a bit, so please let me know if you've used something that fits the bill!

:D

My first thought was a rather more "normal" (compared to 16Kohms) PAF style pickup (or similar) with an added on-board preamp to kick up the output just a noch.

The "hot" Golden Age pickups are supposed to have a very nice warm sound. They are dirt cheap as well. If you don't mind leaving the humbucker form factor for a few minutes, I just installed a Mighty Mite P90 in my Telecaster. Its one of the best pickups I have ever used, turn the volume and tone up and you have balls to the walls rock, roll off both knobs a bit and you have a great warm jazz sound. Plus its an absolute steal at around $30 on eBay. This honestly gives the Seymour Duncans I have installed in my Ibanez a run for their money.

My first thought was a rather more "normal" (compared to 16Kohms) PAF style pickup (or similar) with an added on-board preamp to kick up the output just a noch.

Don't know about HighOrder, but the Bill Lawrence XL500 was used by Dimebag Darryl, if you want a sound sample. :D

I'm pretty sure that they are around 16k, as the Seymour Duncan Dimebag pickup I installed for a customer was around 16.1k, and it is only a slight variation from the XL500.

Interesting - never even heard of Golden Age, I'll look into them!

I've had HighOrder pickups suggested to me as well - anyone got any experience of them?

Or a Bill Lawrence XL500?

Edited by Jozer99

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried a lot of Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios.

I ended up installing DiMarzio Breeds in my strat. They are incredibly smooth, warm, with a nice pick click. They also tap really nice to get a hot single coil sound as well. I have a Tone Zone S in the middle slot but it is much more grainy sounding than the Breeds. The best way to discribe them is like a thicker, smoother, hotter, vintage PAF pickup with massive sustain. But they also clean right up when you back off the volume.

Hey If you looking for tone AND output AND treble Bareknucle is kinda the way to go.

If your willing to krank your amp alot more Mules are an idea.

To keep some of the output try Abraxis or Blackdogs

On the high output side of things I get a little lost...

I dont do that

EDIT:

Although after a quick review the Nailbombs have somthing really nice to thier tone (I like it anyway)

And the Cold Sweats are quite nice

For more of a 'Classic Grind' sort of thing the pain killers may be good (dont know about clean though)

Edited by The royal consort