Arbor Press

guitar2005

I want to buy an arbor press for my next fret job because I don't want to destroy my Drill Press.

The thing is, I'm not sure how to adapt the arbor press for use with the stew mac fret caul.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&...amp;NTITEM=B091

So... how do I attach the fret caul to the arbor press? Is there an adapter or something?

I took the rack(the part that goes up and down) out of the arbor press, put it in a vise, drilled a hole in it big enough for the fret caul (of course, start with a small dia. bit and work your way up to the final size in increments of about 1/16"-1/8"), then drilled another hole perpendicular to the previous one which I threaded. I put a set screw in the threaded hole to keep the fret caul secured in the other hole.

peace,

russ

I took the rack to a local machine shop along with the fret caul for reference. They did the same process Russ described. The charged $15. I didn't have all the tools to do it myself at the time.

Yeah, I did practically the same thing,

except I was in too much of a hurry to use it,

so I skipped the set screw, and put some masking

tape around the shaft of the fret caul.

That was probably two years ago.

I still haven't taken it to a machine shop

to get a set screw. :D

I took the rack(the part that goes up and down) out of the arbor press, put it in a vise, drilled a hole in it big enough for the fret caul (of course, start with a small dia. bit and work your way up to the final size in increments of about 1/16"-1/8"), then drilled another hole perpendicular to the previous one which I threaded. I put a set screw in the threaded hole to keep the fret caul secured in the other hole.

peace,

russ

Great Idea. That's what I'll do and there's a good machine shop I've dealt with last year to make me a steel fence for my delta jointer.

Thanks for the tips guys! :D