Converting Combo To Head

GuitarGoat

Okay so I have a Crate FXT65 combo amp. It's 65 watts with one 12" speaker. Could I clip the wires going from the amp to the speaker and take out the whole "amp" assembly, then wire the output wires to a jack so I could use it as a head more or less instead of a combo? Would this be possible?
Yes, it is possible. Make sure that your new speaker cabs are wired correctly for the correct ohms rating for the AMP and the speakers are of the correct ohms rating to acheive that.

Here are some sites with basic knowledge of speaker wiring.

Link

Link

MK

• 1 month later...
Okay so I have a Crate FXT65 combo amp. It's 65 watts with one 12" speaker. Could I clip the wires going from the amp to the speaker and take out the whole "amp" assembly, then wire the output wires to a jack so I could use it as a head more or less instead of a combo? Would this be possible?
Yes, it is possible. Make sure that your new speaker cabs are wired correctly for the correct ohms rating for the AMP and the speakers are of the correct ohms rating to acheive that.

Here are some sites with basic knowledge of speaker wiring.

Link

Link

MK

Those links are pure gold. Cheers for that MiKro!

Why would you like that when right now you have both in one package? You have an external speaker output, just get a 4X12 or what ever set up you want that its impedance match the one of your cab and hook it up to the output! And if you feel like doing a small gig, just take the combo out! That's what I did when I had my GX-65, and still do with my MX120R.

Oh, and make sure you get a mid wattage speaker so that they will work optimally with the 65w.

Edited by Maiden69