Guitar Of The Month For October

Guitar of the month for October  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i can see what everyones saying, and no ones wrong as they are personal opinions. in the past i have thought the same thing as mickguard, and have seen comments along the line of 'i dont like the shape, it looks a bit clunky, you should change this and that, but the wood is amazing, so i voted for you'. so i can understand what he's saying, but i can also see that marcovis has made an excellent guitar, regardless of the wood he's used.

in any case, if you put all of these guitars in a room with 100 people and asked them without touching or playing, which one they'd take home, at least 95 of them would say the one that looks prettiest to them

in the end they're personal opinions, and everyones enitled to them, and no one is going to have an opinion that everyone agrees with

I appreciate all the kind words about the Cigar Box Guitar Jr., it's not a toy at all. I suppose that's the point that I'm trying to make with these things now. Thanks for the votes! :D

Since I couldn't vote for myself, for me it was between the Lyre Esquire (because I dig longhorns), and that workingman shovel bass. Both are brilliant IMHO and I would love to own both of them. In the end, I had to go for the workingman. To see an old shovel and think, "I'm going to make a bass out of that." is freakin' brilliant.

I love guitars made from trash! :D

Criticism is for build threads, IMO.

What's interesting about the GOTM, especially in months like this, where there's a dozen entries, is that it offers an opportunity to get into a discussion about what makes one build work (in one's opinion) and what doesn't...kind of a springboard for what makes a guitar interesting in general. And yeah, for certain people here, what makes it sellable (so obviously Marcovis is doing well on that point!). I mean, otherwise, if it's just a means to stroke each others' puds, what's the point?

Believe me, if I want to be insulting, I'm really good at it. Wasn't my intention here. More of a question, a way of saying, "hold on there, what are we actually doing?"

And yeah, I love the shovelbass too --although I don't see that as a "valid" instrument, more of a one-off art piece. Still excellent though. And different. Nice to see different things from time to time.

I mean, otherwise, we'd all be playing the same Stratocaster. :D

And yeah, I love the shovelbass too --although I don't see that as a "valid" instrument, more of a one-off art piece. Still excellent though. And different. Nice to see different things from time to time.

Well as a valid instrument, my bass is very playable (and I like its sound very much too), very light and ergomically thinking very easy to play. You can find some sound examples (mp3) from my project-page:

http://www.tuulikumpu.fi/?p=p_72&sName...a-ja-työvaiheet

Well as a valid instrument, my bass is very playable (and I like its sound very much too), very light and ergomically thinking very easy to play. You can find some sound examples (mp3) from my project-page:

http://www.tuulikumpu.fi/?p=p_72&sName...a-ja-työvaiheet

I am SO going to loop those bass lines and play the CBG over it. The international trash jam has started! :D

Criticism is for build threads, IMO.

What's interesting about the GOTM, especially in months like this, where there's a dozen entries, is that it offers an opportunity to get into a discussion about what makes one build work (in one's opinion) and what doesn't...kind of a springboard for what makes a guitar interesting in general. And yeah, for certain people here, what makes it sellable (so obviously Marcovis is doing well on that point!). I mean, otherwise, if it's just a means to stroke each others' puds, what's the point?

In the VOTING thread, though? Some people (foolishly) read these threads before voting. It's even MORE ridiculous to try to influence someone's vote in a negative way ("if you vote for anything with quilted maple, you're an idiot") than it is to just take a moment to mention who specifically you voted for. Each time you pay someone a compliment it doesn't mean that you are "stroking a pud," for crying out loud. It's not like "negative" criticism is the only form of valid and non-obsequious criticism. You can point out positive things and pay compliments without it being superficial or uninformed. Marcovis' guitar is amazingly executed. If YOU can't see that, YOU'RE the one blinded by the wood. :D Come to think of it, though, why SHOULD they look past it? It was part of the design, it helped exhibit wood-finishing skills, and it slots the guitar into that certain category. I personally find I'm tired of figured maple 2-humbucker guitars, but that didn't stop me from acknowledging the awesome work he did. I might have "looked past" the top, but there's no real reason you HAVE to.

There may be something to what you say about this thread being a potential jumping off point... but there are other opportunities for that. I just don't PERSONALLY think this thread is the forum for that. And if you DO feel the urge to flex your critical muscles, I would think it's a better approach to not single out one specific guitar to rally an "anti-vote" against.

Believe me, if I want to be insulting, I'm really good at it. Wasn't my intention here. More of a question, a way of saying, "hold on there, what are we actually doing?"

And yeah, I love the shovelbass too --although I don't see that as a "valid" instrument, more of a one-off art piece.

Apparently you're SO good at it that you didn't realize you were doing it again. :D The workingman bass is a perfectly functional ("valid") instrument. As for the question, it was more like a rhetorical question. If you read my post, you would already know that some people are "looking past" the wood. Daniel ALSO stated that it was the back of the guitar that won him over, not the front. Even better than reading those kinds of responses, give people credit for critical thinking. In any event, the answer was there, and the "question" was actually a statement. "HOld on there, what are we actually doing?"-- my answer, already given, is-- "voting for a superbly-crafted instrument."

I risk pissing you off, I'm sure. I've been told I should have been a lawyer (and I realize, lawyers are not universally loved. B) ), due to the way I approach debates. In any event, I hope you'll just take my word for it that by "debating" you here, I continue to have nothing against you as a person. :D I hope the same goes the other way.

Greg

"hold on there, what are we actually doing?"

It's been said before but I'll say it again. GOTM is not really a contest, it's not here to find the best built guitar ever. It's basically a place to show off your guitar eye candy and people vote in a "hey that looks neat, I like that guitar" manor.

When you make it as critical as mick is suggesting, things just get way too tense. It's supposed to be like a monthly gallery to show stuff off.

I normally don't vote on a build just because it's perfect, I vote on something that I would catch my eye on a wall of guitar where I would want to pick it up and play it instead of the rest. To me many aspects of the build are important.

My criteria are,

Does everything in the design flow?

Does the wood/color/stain work with the design?

Does the body shape/headstock shape look nice?

Is everything executed in a professional manor? (ie, clean routs/binding/finish/etc...)

Is it something that you would want to play every day?

Pretty simple. Did I vote for Macrovis only because his guitar had black limba on it? Of course not. I voted for the his guitar because it looks comfertable, is well made/finished, and because the wood is so nice it adds to the overall look of the guitar.

If you don't think exotic wood looks good thats fine, but like Greg said, if you try to start an anti-voting campaign vs one guitar you've got something wrong there. Personally I hate plain looking wood like some of the alder/ash Mick has used in the past. Does that mean I think his builds would have been spiced up by some exotics? Yep. But thats just my personal opinion, they were still very nice guitars.

See what we are trying to get at Mick? Is it really a big deal that people vote for a guitar that has figured/exotic wood because they think it looks nice? Your really just telling people that there opinion is flat out wrong when in reality it just differs from yours.

PS, I think his pictures are fine. They are not blurry and are well light from where I'm standing. :D I thought only hooglebug, yours, and my pictures were better than his. All the rest were worse. Why were you not knocking them?

As already stated, opinions are personal and nobody will be able to affect another person's. There are some people on this board, like Greg, that hate maple tops and double humbuckers, but that happens to be something I really like. Neither of our opinions will change, and hopefully there are no hard feelings between anyone on this board due to that fact. Each person is entitled to vote for whom they choose and why they chose it. Both looks and skills used are how I determine who to vote for. I have voted for guitars before that looked very nice, but there were some flaws in the building. I have also not voted for other builds which were far superior in quality, but I personally thought they were not that visually appealing. The point is that there are no particularities for how I vote. A project does not have to have fancy woods or perfect craftsmanship. I vote for the guitar that would catch my attention at a store and make me want to play it.

Like others have said though, this vote does not lift up any of the builders while criticizing the rest, it is more of a place to share what we like about each of the projects. Personally, I would be proud to own any one of the entries this month. Congratulations to all of you, regardless of how many votes you get. Instead of looking at each other now, can we get back to looking at the guitars? :D

for what it is worth, i own that marcovis guitar.... the build itself is flawless... the top is more stunning in person.... the neck joint is seamless and is my favorite part of the guitar.... but, the tone and playabilty sets it on top.... very clean and clear... very open and sustain for days... but,what do i know, huh?

yeah, i voted for him.... but the shovel is the most unique.... and the inlay work on the other bass is remarkable..... all the guitars are great... i wish i had that kind of talent... i guess i better start with a carvin bolt-on kit..... :D

i voted for godin's.....er....daniel's guitar.

i've never been a fan of his headstock shape (but that's his preference) but his body shape (to me) is beautiful and elegant (that's the only way i can describe it :D )

cheers

darren

i suppose if we had a OTT quilted maple guitar winning every month then we would have an issue with it becoming a wood beauty contest. - but look at whats currently on the first page - a slightly odd looking acoustic to most!!!

I think at the moment it all works out fairly evenly, we get some which win because they look excellent and some that win because of other innovations, occasionally one wins because its quirky and fun, some are just plain cool (still thinking about Pukko's white guitar, or perry's WOMD here)

I voted for Marcovis(before all the arguing started) even though I am sick to death of maple.I voted because it is very well built,I like the heel,and I think the craftsmanship has been shown in the pictures to be excellent.I think mick's assertion is incorrect and to be honest sounds like a grumpy old man more than anything else(I am sometimes a grumpy old man,so I am qualified to recognize it)

if I had not voted for the lp,I would have voted for the cigar box...

Greg...you would not make a good lawyer...your arguments are all based on emotion rather than logic...you would be better off as an actor ...hehe

Hey Jukkasil & Jehle, you guys do realize (right?) that you need to cut a track of the actual song "Working Man" by Rush. First album, back when they (and everyone else) were trying to be Led Zeppelin. Maybe 1972? '74?

I get home at five oclock

And I take myself out a nice, cold beer

Always seem to be wondrin'

Why there's nothin' goin' down here

It would be most fitting... :D

Comb the streets for the best 5-gallon drummer you can find, and you guys could be quite the trio. :D

Greg...you would not make a good lawyer...your arguments are all based on emotion rather than logic...you would be better off as an actor ...hehe

Uh-huh. You keep thinking that. It probably buffers the pain I inflict each and every time I absolutely (and handily) destroy you in debates. :D Even the above weak-tacular high school rhetoric is easily deconstructed, but... well, it'd be embarrassing for me to have to do it... almost as embarrassing as you making weird random ad-hominems in completely unrelated threads. :D

Greg

Hey Jukkasil & Jehle, you guys do realize (right?) that you need to cut a track of the actual song "Working Man" by Rush. First album, back when they (and everyone else) were trying to be Led Zeppelin. Maybe 1972? '74?

I get home at five oclock

And I take myself out a nice, cold beer

Always seem to be wondrin'

Why there's nothin' goin' down here

It would be most fitting... :D

Comb the streets for the best 5-gallon drummer you can find, and you guys could be quite the trio. B)

Their name has to start with a "J" and be unpronounceable too. :D You could shorten your name to just Jerik, as in Erikbo Jerik. Can you hit things with wooden spoons and keep good time?

BTW, I didn't post this snippet to pimp either my guitar or Jukkasil's bass. I just did this for a laugh.