Swirl A Guitar Body

This is what i am trying to achieve. I want to swirl these exact colors, but im not sure what they are or who makes them. My best guess is they are oil based paints, but i want to know WHERE I CAN GET THEM!!!!! I know that this guy, Tony Gayter, made a contribution to project guitar. Anyone know how i can contact someone on the forum? I tried searching for his name and nothing comes up. His video is below of how he does it. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!! =(

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/tonyg...nt=swirling.flv

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is probably to late but

humbrol enamals are used on model aiplanes (humbrol owns airfix models i seem to recall.) model shops stock them in the UK I dunno about world wide.

I just went and made a whole mess in the kitchen and I can can confirm that it works!

http://www.humbrol.com/search/?searchguid=200822918436

i found it to be really thick and kind of gloopy on the paper i used to test it perhaps thinning it slightly would provide a smoother finish?

Hope it helps... someone!

Edited by joshvegas

This is probably to late but

humbrol enamals are used on model aiplanes (humbrol owns airfix models i seem to recall.) model shops stock them in the UK I dunno about world wide.

I just went and made a whole mess in the kitchen and I can can confirm that it works!

http://www.humbrol.com/search/?searchguid=200822918436

i found it to be really thick and kind of gloopy on the paper i used to test it perhaps thinning it slightly would provide a smoother finish?

Hope it helps... someone!

I used Humbrol for my RG (pictures of which some may remember, because i can't find them), worked really well and no thinning was necessary at all.

I used Humbrol for my RG (pictures of which some may remember, because i can't find them), worked really well and no thinning was necessary at all.

Note to self mix paint before use!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hope this one looks better :D

100_02321.jpg

Bassically, it's just a squier strat...

I didn't use any borax, because it's illegal here in my country, they don't let us to buy borax personally, I just put some amount of paint (red and black, I used latex paint here, because it's cheap) into a big bucket full of water, let the colours spread, then I swirled it using a piece of wood, then I dipped in my guitar (yellow colour) into the water, blow the water so there was a "hole", then I pulled out the guitar, let it dry for several hours, and finally put some layer of clear coat over it.

It's very simple, buy I get the right colour after trial and error (I did 8 times of experiment using the same guitar with different basic colours).

Edited by Ricky Anderson