'63 P-bass Pickup Windings

wolftone

Anyone know where I can find specs for '63 P-Bass pickup?

Is this Wolfe Macleod from "Wolftone Pickups" or are you someone else? If it is you I'd assume you'd know that Fender only wound pickups until they felt the coil was large enough to stop winding wire onto it back then. i.e. there was no precise science or turns count to it back in those days.

In any way, the coil height on P's is 0.343". The pickups are wound with 42 awg wire and they usually have 10000 turns of wire on each coil.

• 3 weeks later...
Phil, while you're at it, do you have a coil height for a pre '64 jazz bass pickup?

According to Jason Lollar the height is .531 between the flanges

Hi Dasve.So you finally found us? I wondered when we were gonna se you here as I have seen you at the pickup maker’s forum and at MIMF. Welcome

I believe that's 10,000 turns total for the split pickup, 5,000 per coil. I don't think you can fit 10,000 turns on one of those bobbins.

David,

That's correct. It's around 5000 turns per coil. The DC resistance is around the 5K mark per coil, around 10K for both. There is no way 10000 turns of 42 AWG will fit on a single PBass bobbin.

Edited by mkat

Phil, while you're at it, do you have a coil height for a pre '64 jazz bass pickup?

According to Jason Lollar the height is .531 between the flanges

Hi Dasve.So you finally found us? I wondered when we were gonna se you here as I have seen you at the pickup maker’s forum and at MIMF. Welcome

I have been here in the past.... just not in a long while!

Same with TalkBass. I'm trying to not be on the computer all day! :D

That’s cool Dave. I have always appreciated your thoughts and knowledge. Not to mention you have gathered a tremendous amount of pictures that often can explain things very nicely. Oh, and patents!

That’s cool Dave. I have always appreciated your thoughts and knowledge. Not to mention you have gathered a tremendous amount of pictures that often can explain things very nicely. Oh, and patents!

I'm always trying to learn things, like every one else here. My brain is like a sponge... I tend to remember a whole bunch of stuff I've read over the years, but then forget where I read it! So I save a lot of stuff to my computer now. I'm a graphic artist, so I like seeing pictures. I save pictures of cool 60's guitars and stuff for inspiration.

Patents are a great way to learn new ideas. Some of the pickup patents, especially from Bill Lawrence (Wili Stich) are very detailed and practically tell you how many turns and what gauge wire to use for a given example.

Lately I've been enamored with the DiMarzio Virtual Solo Pro stacked pickup. I have a regular customer that puts them in the neck position on a lot of his guitars. It's a great sounding pickup for a stack. It's real easy to see what they are doing both by taking the pickup apart (within reason... I have to put it back in the guitar!) and looking at the two patents used for that pickup. Then you can think of new ways to do the same thing.

I have always loved taking things apart. That's how I started repairing guitars! I took a couple of mine apart when I was young, and broke the wiring. I accidentally wired the pickup out of phase, liked the effect, and then put a toggle switch in my Segovia Les Paul copy, and then started installing them in friend's guitars. That's when I was about 14.

I'm board just making copies of existing pickups, so I'm always trying new things. Lately I'm taking a Zen approach.... I just pull a number out of thin air... let me wind this many turns... :D There have been interesting pickup designs in the past that aren't used anymore. Everything is Gibson and Fender now. Really boring. It's constricting having to work with those pickup shapes too.

Phil, I have read in a few web sites 10,000 turns on each coil for a P-bass pickup, so that error has been around for a while. Obviously they meant total.

• 6 months later...
There is no way 10000 turns of 42 AWG will fit on a single PBass bobbin.

Sorry about this, I had to drag this thread out in order to correct it.

Phil, you weren't on anything, you were right. I wound two coils tonight and the turn count is indeed around the 10,000 mark per coil.

Edited by mkat