Swamp Ash Body Blanks For Sale

Mr.Majestic

God that Buckeye is huge! :D

You mention on the auction you thought of resawing it. If you've got the facilities why don't you do it? A nice figured Buckeye top will go for $100 easily and you've got a hell of a lot of top there. I'd be interested in a Buckeye top soonish but I definitely can't afford the entrance price and the shipping costs on that piece of burl to Australia :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God that Buckeye is huge! :D

You mention on the auction you thought of resawing it. If you've got the facilities why don't you do it? A nice figured Buckeye top will go for $100 easily and you've got a hell of a lot of top there. I'd be interested in a Buckeye top soonish but I definitely can't afford the entrance price and the shipping costs on that piece of burl to Australia :D

Hey Phil, I read alot of your posts on Talkbass. You are right this thing is a giant. I did have big plans for this and I no longer have the means to resaw it. The color on most of the buckeye I see around lately is nothing like this thing. I hope someone will pick it up and do something with it.

Edited by Mr.Majestic

Have I seen you on TB, what's your log-in name there?

Maybe it would be worth it to send Larry Davis a link to your auction. Last time I was looking for a top he was out of Buckeye :D I'll probably start a new bass in a few months. I'd love one of those then.

Edited by Phil Mailloux

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's been a few days and thought I would update this thread with a new post. We have a large order of swamp ash that is coming in next week and it will be a huge one. We will have over 100 ultra-light weight 1-pc body blanks and close to 200, 2-pc. blanks. If anyone is interested, we can be contacted through PG or majestic.wooddesign@yahoo.com. Thanks again and keep on rockin'

cn

Here's a pic of some of our 2-pc stuff that shipped out to Florida.

l_329c9d4d01312062e8af10a7b0ef2253.jpg

Wow, thats sounds great! Have no current plans with the stuff, but sounds like a good opportunity, we'll see what money is left after the holidays, lol. Any idea on how light the blanks are on average?? No worries if not, just curious. Best of luck and happy holidays. J

• 1 month later...

Been a while since a post, but to answer that question of the average weight, they average around 1.91 lbs.bd.ft and vary anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5. I need to say though that the ultra-light stuff is usually spoken for before I even get it in. We are running a bit low, but I do have 2000 bd.ft to pick-up just as soon as it comes out of the kiln and gets graded.

cn

Hey, I'm actually looking into possibly building myself a solid-body electric (an American Stratocaster) soon..and my main plan is to try to get some Swamp Ash to make it out of. I can't guarantee if I can purchase some yet (I have to make sure that I have the tools and motivation necessary to follow-through with the project), but I just wanted to let you know that I'm interested. Plus it'd be cool to support a PG vendor/to-be PG vendor/guy on forum that sells things. I'll probably be able to get back to you early next week. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would post a few pics of the new load we just got in. Thanks for all of your business. We have most of the bugs worked out on our new website and will hopefully have it online in a few weeks.

The average weight on this order was 1.94 lbs per board foot!

l_aa6510cea58fee22f7f5ca8b980985ac.jpg

This is the freaky light weight stock

l_7fa4395cd0569cb8d44345c699ca5d83.jpg

Here are the one cut blanks, these will yield about 85 blanks, some of these are over 19 inches wide!

l_77b1d46f0ba4897b988ecf84570eacb2.jpg

Check out the flame on this piece, it is highly flamed and covers the entire board! And it weighs 1.7 lbs per bd/ft! I'll shoot a pic of the face.

l_95ea378526324fb10e33f6260f154805.jpg

That flamed piece is really undescribible. I usually file these pieces away in the personal collection for safe keeping! :D I currently have plans for this one, it is going to be used on my next Elrick bass! I do have another that I might consider selling, though.

• 1 month later...

Just give us a call at 318 245 9993. I am usually there between 8am and 5 pm weekdays. We should have our site up and partially running by the first of next week. I have been on the phone almost everyday getting the bugs worked out.

We also have been acquiring several different species of figured ash and plan on selling tops and possibly hard ash neck blanks. The website site will be at majesticwooddesign.com and majesticswampash.com.

Thanks

CN

Edited by Mr.Majestic

• 3 weeks later...

Our website is up and running! Well, up and limping at least. There is a mountain of information and wood that we need to get up, but at least you can go and look around. Our business is doing great and we have sent several large orders out to various parts, such as Chicago, Pennsylvania, and the West Coast. This looks to be a tough year for the swamp ash loggers, though. The swamps have to dry out before they can harvest the trees and with the huge amounts of water that have drained into our swamps and backwater areas, it looks like the yield will be down. Just a thought. Anyway here is a link to the website and thanks for looking!

majesticswampash.com

Really nice-looking lumber there.

If I may make a suggestion, though, I think most two-piece swamp ash blanks look better with one of the pieces flipped so that there's more of an S-shaped grain pattern across the blank than an M-shaped pattern. Just personal preference, for what it's worth. :D

Edit: I just noticed, you leave it up to the buyer to glue 'em up the way they like them. Never mind. Good call. :D

Edited by Rick500

Very sweet! Are you coming out to any north Texas guitar shows this year?

I came to the Dallas Show a couple of weeks ago and plan on coming to the Arlington show later this year. I usually split a booth with a friend of mine, but he couldn't come to Dallas. I believe we are getting a booth at the Arlington show, though.

We plan on making several shows in the future, but nothing else is solidified. Exactly which ones are you speaking of?

cn

Edited by Mr.Majestic

Arlington specifically, they run the biggest show. Let me know if there's anything you want me to bring out. I'll probably bring a couple of my basses that I built. :D

That would be awesome! I plan on trying to get a couple of instruments from some of the builders we sell to and display them at our booth.

* Just a side note for everyone. I talked to the largest sawyer of swamp ash in the world yesterday and because of the water, they are out of swamp ash and will not have any in until the end of July. So if you use the stuff and have a regular supplier, you might want to get it before it disappears or the price goes up.*

cn

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this up and let you guys know that we just recieved a large order of ash in. I also posted a few pics of some peanut ash I got in to go on a few basses we are having comissioned. The piece was thick enough to yeild 3 sets 23 1/2 wide x 24 long x 5/16 thick. Very nice stuff, never have seen anything like it before. It is definitley white ash and not tamo ash or european ash. It looks almost just like pics of tamo ash I have seen. These pictures don't do justice, but you can get a fairly good idea. This would be 5-A curly/ 5-A quilted, the quilt pattern almost refuses to be captured on the camera.

l_b50b4feeb2bf3f95dc6f28b5a53083b2.jpg

l_638b2d0c63a72e0fcef8bbf0f919d147.jpg

l_53d6e8d5bf1a2c0974a93534d9f4f282.jpg

Edited by Mr.Majestic

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, we still are selling ash, but have made some huge changes. I recently closed my cabinet shop after 10 years and moved to central arkansas to work in the natural gas fields. It has been quite the change, but we are still offering swamp ash and have recently purchased 8 school bus loads of antique Northern California lumber. It came from an older man who owned a land clearing business between 1945 and 1972 in NorCal. He also owned a small sawmill and whenever he pushed up anything of interest he would cut it up and store it. In 1973 he moved to Louisiana and brought all that stuff with him. He heard I sold wood and contacted me last summer and I purchased all of his stock. I am in the process of purchasing a resaw and a few other tools to cut this stuff into tops and should have that up and going in a few months.

Anyways, here is one of the instruments I had built with that peanut ash up above. It is an Elrick 5 string Hybrid.

l_8e57ab87f17debaf2f567dac7c68acd8.jpg

l_952a391bbaaaf8034f9217e68f19db2a.jpg