!NUT!

Sorry to throw up another post so soon, but I'm deeply immersed in my project, and there's no turning back!

I've been looking for a good place online to buy a pre-slotted nut (preferably bone). The only places I've found only sell blanks or have obscene prices! Does anyone know of a good place to buy one? Also, is it important to find one that fits the radius of my fingerboard? I was wondering, since I haven't found a place that lists a radius for its nuts.

To buy a pre-slotted nut, the company making them would have to:

a.) know the fret board with at the nut, of your custom made guitar,

b.) know what radius youve sanded your custom made fretboard to,

c.) know what height your frets are, eg: out of 20 or 30 different types of fretwire,

d.) know how deep you cut your nut channel,

e.) know how wide you cut your nut channel,

f.) what spacings you like between the strings,

g.) know what size strings you are fitting,

h.) and, finally, what height action at the first fret, you would like...

OR, they would make a generic piece of crap out of plastic, that needs to be final fitted anyway...

Ive NEVER fitted a preslotted nut that

a.) fitted correctly,

b.) wasnt plastic,

c.) didnt need to be re-cut for each string.

If you cant afford the nut files, take your guitar to a music store or luthier who can cut the slots for you. It is a lot cheaper.

those files are so expensive, I just refuse to buy those.

I use a cheap feeler gauge that I filed some teeth in.. works like a charm.

moojiefulagin, I don't know what guitar you're builing, but I know for sure that some Tusq nuts come pre-shaped and slotted...

Try www.stewmac.com for those.

i just bought a preslotted nut from stewmac....graphtec,gibson style preslotted is what it is called.they also have a preslotted fender style.btw it is graphite

Yes, and they still need to be re-cut, shaped, trimmed lengthways, etc etc etc unless you have a brand new, original Gibson or Fender, or perfect copy. And even then, they dont fit. I fitted 12 new nuts last week to gibsons and fenders, using the graphtec nuts, and not a single one was worth paying the extra for the pre-slotted type. Not to mention the spacings were wrong.

There is literally only a few minutes work between a blank, and a preslotted.

i just bought a preslotted nut from stewmac....graphtec,gibson style preslotted is what it is called.they also have a preslotted fender style.btw it is graphite

Yes, and they still need to be re-cut, shaped, trimmed lengthways, etc etc etc unless you have a brand new, original Gibson or Fender, or perfect copy. And even then, they dont fit. I fitted 12 new nuts last week to gibsons and fenders, using the graphtec nuts, and not a single one was worth paying the extra for the pre-slotted type. Not to mention the spacings were wrong.

There is literally only a few minutes work between a blank, and a preslotted.

actually i am shaping the neck to fit the nut :D

actually i am shaping the neck to fit the nut :D

Thats called... inovation

not really.the idea behind my carved top was to create a guitar that plays and feels like a les paul,but hangs more to my liking and looks more to my liking.

so it just seemed ideal to buy that particular nut anduse it.i will probably slot my own next time.i was going to buy a preslotted fretboard but i went for it and made my own.one giant leap at a time i guess

try and find a local repair guy, i had to get a new nut put on my tele a year or 2 ago and the guy did it for 10$ bone... installed, slotted properly and for the strings provided... plays great

I bought an Earvana nut from Warmoth to put on my Warmoth neck. Preslotted to Fender or Gibson depending on the width your neck is. There is some sanding and filing to fit the nut slot but it ain't rocket science just follow the directions and patience. I'm about to glue mine in, they say super glue, but I thought I'd ck out other opinions.