Guitar Of The Month For January

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 25th of December then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Please Give Your Guitar a Name or Nick Name :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

V8 Eight String - GBO Edition

Might as well start out 2008 with an eight-stringer! This instrument was completed in 8 months for the "off-campus" Les Paul theme guitar build-off that happened this past year. I had a great time building it, with several firsts along the way: first carve top, first fanned-fret build, and first 8-string (duh).

Theme: I chose two main woods that, in color, are negatives of each other, Black Limba (light with dark streaks) and Macassar Ebony (dark with light streaks). The theme of the instrument is black limba underneath ebony, with birdseye maple appointments on top. The wood choice is along the same concept as the maple-on-mahogany of a trad LP, but obviously in a slightly different direction. The body is an original design with elements borrowed from Taylor acoustics (upper bout), Ritter basses (incut waist), Jazz basses (slightly asymmetric lower bout), and obviously Gibson (single cut shape with Florentine cutaway a'la ES225).

1+ piece riftsawn black limba body (1-3/4” thick)

bookmatched flamed macassar ebony carve-top (1/2” thick)

1-piece quartersawn black limba neck, asymmetric back contour

laminated gabon ebony-birsdeye maple fretboard

macassar ebony headplate

birdseye maple logo, GBO emblem, pickup covers and bridge top (ebony bridge base plate)

8-string tuned E-B-E-A-D-G-B-E

multi-scale 25.5” to 28”

standard fretwire

Gotoh Kluson repro tuners

Brass nut

Pre-catalyzed conversion varnish clear coat

EMG 40TW pickups (combo humbucker and stacked single-coil)

Ghost piezo saddles and pre-amp

No knobs on front

Side-mounted controls (R->L): pickup select, neck & bridge volume (SC/humbucker push-pulls), piezo volume (bright/dark push-toggle), mag-both-piezo toggle

zGBO6.JPG.jpg

zGBO3.JPG.jpg

knobs1JPG.jpg

zGBO9.JPG.jpg

I have a 0.058" for the B string and a 0.085" for the low drop-E which works out nicely so long as I tune the low-E slightly sharp and keep finger pressure nice and light. The Ghost piezo system is wonderful (thanks David!) and produces a pretty decent acoustic-y sort of tone. In humbucker mode it is all Les Paul but with a more hi-fi tone from the EMGs that brings out more at both ends of the frequency spectrum. In single coil mode I can tweek the EQ to approach stratty or P90ish tones, a really versatile instrument. Both the multi-scale and the two extra strings are taking some getting used to, but the left hand is coming around more every day. A regular 6 now feels downright skinny by comparison!

Other shots including the back of the guitar can be found by browing my GBO directory here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v241/bojerik/GBO/

I have a full build tutorial on my FTP site. The file is (GBO_V8.pdf) but beware, it is a monster at ~600 MB...189 pages and a ton of pretty high-res photos. If you're on dial-up it will take you 2 hrs or more to download it. But all the warts are there (there are some good ones), as well as all the work-arounds.

FTP V8 Tutorial

If I get my act together in the next few weeks, I'll try to post some sound clips.

Edited by erikbojerik

Clotilde: A mahogany/maple sopabar PRS style solidbody.

Clotilde.jpg

Well, this is my first build ever. It all started in July 27th when I knew I could commission a neck for a set-neck guitar. You see, I didn’t want to build a bolt-on, so the (highly tempting) Warmoth route was out. But making a neck myself with the carving, slotting, fretting challenges felt too daunting at the time. So having the neck problem solved gave me the confidence to start a build. I set out to build this body as an exercise. This was in fact the prototype of a “proper build”, which is now becoming Build #2.

The idea of the 3 P90s was there from the start. The hardtail was a necessity, as this body was too thin for the tremolo of the original design. The commissioned neck was rather uninspiring but functional: plain maple with a rosewood board and Fender scale. But fate dictated it was not to be. The guys that were supposed to build it never even started. Fortunately, as I was feeling ready for the challenge of making one myself, this blank of flamed maple and bridseye came my way.

So ever since this new neck was chosen for the now completely in-house build, it was obvious that the theme of this guitar was going to be the nicely contrasting timbers.

While the woods involved are fairly conventional (good old maple and mahogany), the actual implementation is not: Having the flashy looking maple on the neck/board and not on the top.

From the beginning I wanted to add some cosmetic embellishments to this instrument, but again, I didn’t want to betray the minimalist spirit of the design. So we decided to use pearl inlays in a not too traditional way: hence the theme of the feathers, on the TRC, the 12th fret and the body.

I’m not setup for normal spraying yet, so I had to resort to some rubbed-on or rattle-can finish, and a natural satin finish was almost a must for the style of this instrument anyway. Rubbed-on, thinned Plastic Coating did the trick really well.

So, all in all, I think it is a well balanced instrument, with a defined personality in an earthy, understated way.

Ever since it ceased to be just-a-piece-of-wood to become a guitar-in-the-making (you know when), it’s been around the house when not being worked on in the attic. So it became affectionately known as Clotilde.

While not a highly regarded female name in Spanish (more like a joke), the name stuck and I wouldn’t dare to call her anything else now.

Just one line about the hardware: Grover Locking Rotomatics, GraphTech nut, SMD wide-medium fretwire, Gibson Original P90 (x2), Zhangbuckers Hot P90, Wilkinson Wraparound bridge.

And one about specs: 13° headstock angle, 25" scale, 2° neck angle, Gibson P90: 8K/A5, Zhang's P90: 10K/A5, vol CTS 500KA, tone CTS 500KA/.02u.

So please forgive the long introduction. Here you have Clotilde in all its understated glory:

CLOTI4.jpg

G_093.jpg

G_091.jpg

Full Front

Backside

Flamed neck

Headstock

Body inlay

I2th fret Inlay

Edited by Blackdog

• 2 weeks later...

Gigi. Where "Class" meets "Bling".

Well, here she is. Meets with the wife's approval, hence bear's the wife's moniker. This is my third build, but my first really serious build. Been showing it off on the forum over the past couple of weeks. Now it's time to see how she holds her ground against some of the finest instruments in the best forum this side of Saturn.

100_0689.jpg

Basic "classic" V body. 1.5" bookmatched maple, .25" flame maple top. Sedona Red, Ebony Black to highlight the flames, Poly clearcoat.

Back view is here.

Closeup_Top2.jpg

Mighty Mite hardtail through-body. Stew-Mac "Golden Age" hots, with separate coil tap switches. 2 volume, 1 tone setup. Allows for scratching using the selector as a kill switch ala Morrello. Jack is right in your face. PNP in it's simplist form.

100_0693.jpg

This is where the "class" end and the "bling" begins. Antonio Tsai inlaid rosewood fretboard on a Modulus Graphite neck. 24.75" scale. Rodeo Drive meets NASA. Dunlop 6000 frets, Graphtech nut, and Ping tuners. Yeah, yeah, I know, the 6000 fret wire is like a railroad tie, but I'm a long time Ibez RG player, so I like the big frets.

Topend_down.jpg

Non-traditional 6IL tuner arrangement (my Ibez side showing through), with an actual Ibanez string guide for all but the low E.

Some more views here;

Fretboard closeup

Headstock

One more full front, along with an autographed Nazareth album as a crowning tiara.

This project has basically been a mix of old and new, knowns and unknowns. I relied heavily on this forum and all who participate as a principle resource, so I can honestly and shamelessly say that a little bit of all of you is a part of this project. I've tried to do it as tastefully as possible, but always respecting what feels right to me. After all I'll be the one playing it. One thing for sure though, the minute you plug her in, you better get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on. She WILL leave you breatheless...

Cheers :D