Cnc Prs

jer7440

Here is my latest hot off the CNC. Its a PRS custom 22 design based on the cad drawings done by AlexVDL (I think), found in the download section. The outline of the guitar and the pickup and neck pocket locations are from Alexes drawing. The 3D carve is my own programming creation. I realize the carve isn't an exact copy, and it needs a little sandpaper adjustment, but I like it. The body wood is alder and the top is maple.

I joined forces with another member, PRSman. He has a bunch of wood and I have the CNC, so we are making a couple of these. :D

P1010101-1.jpg

Here is another pic. another view

;-)

Have you considered expanding the router program to include the control "dishes", post mountings and perhaps even edge binding channels? That would be perfect. Especially if you routed the rear cavity etc. also!

Looking forward to seeing this progress. How long did the program take to complete, and how many tool changes did you have in there?

Actually, the control cavity is cut in the back. I will probably set this body up in the mill one more time to do the control recesses and the bridge and string through holes

I probably have about 2 hrs into programing and cutting the 2d stuff. It took me about1 1/2 or 2 hrs to create the 3d surface for the carve, and the carve takes about an hour to machine. I had about 4 different endmills to cut this. A 3/4" 1/2" and a 3/8" straight endmill for the 2d stuff, and a 1/2 ballnose endmill for the carve

Sounds good. The stepping looks like a brief 80/120 grit sanding would get it flat before working up. I've been in a bit of a CNC mood this week, albeit just on the learning angle as I don't have the funds or the availability of a CNC right now. Are you making necks by hand, or do you have another CNC trick up your sleeve on this one also?

Prostheta, You are right on, 15 or 20 min with a scraper and some sand paper and the top is looking pretty good. I will cnc the necks also. If you look back in my LP thread, I think I ran through the steps I took to cnc a neck.

Maiden, I haven't decided what to do with the cutaway yet. I may leave it the way it is...it looks pretty good and I don't play up that high very often anyway.

I probably have about 2 hrs into programing and cutting the 2d stuff. It took me about1 1/2 or 2 hrs to create the 3d surface for the carve, and the carve takes about an hour to machine. I had about 4 different endmills to cut this. A 3/4" 1/2" and a 3/8" straight endmill for the 2d stuff, and a 1/2 ballnose endmill for the carve

Faster than me :D Course my CNC wont take CAD imports (about to change I finally found R14 which is old enough to work) so it takes me FOREVER to get the body shape right.

Looks awesome though :D You'll be surprized how fast that sands smooth. 15 minutes tops

Faster than me :D Course my CNC wont take CAD imports (about to change I finally found R14 which is old enough to work) so it takes me FOREVER to get the body shape right.

Looks awesome though :D You'll be surprized how fast that sands smooth. 15 minutes tops

Yeah...modern equipment is nice. I downloaded the file from PG and I had to clean up the outside contour to get rid of the splines. create my tool path in Mastercam, and then download the g-code to the mill over the network. It would take some mad programming skills to program guitar bodies at the machine!

Yeah...modern equipment is nice. I downloaded the file from PG and I had to clean up the outside contour to get rid of the splines. create my tool path in Mastercam, and then download the g-code to the mill over the network. It would take some mad programming skills to program guitar bodies at the machine!

Screw that. I can't even remember how to do some of the autoresizing programs at the machine. If I can't program it from the PC it just doesn't happen :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is an update.

th_P1010002-1.jpg

the neck is done and fretted...just needs some truoil.

th_P1010003-1.jpg

another neck pic

th_P1010001.jpg

this was my first attempt...practicing the dye job. What do you think?

I need to mount the bridge and drill the string through and output jack holes. Finish sand and hopefully be ready to start finishing by the 4th of july!

Oh!...here is the truss rod cover

th_P1010004.jpg

This pic sucks....but, oh well.

I got the bridge pin holes, string through holes and the control holes all drilled in this weekend. I also had to route the control cavity a little deeper so the pot and the switch would be deep enough. I also cut the control cavity recesses. Should be ready to finish by the 4th of July weekend! :D

• 4 weeks later...