Mahogany Acoustic Commission

Note the extra internal block for the output jack.

hey daniel, I think you could`ve gonne smaller on the block for the jack. maybe half that thickness.

or even thinner if you laminated some 2 or 3mm pieces with the grain going in different directions.

lots of people are laminating pieces for the end block and even the neck block to avoid cracking.

nice build so far!

keep up the great work.

Hector.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note the extra internal block for the output jack.

hey daniel, I think you could`ve gonne smaller on the block for the jack. maybe half that thickness.

or even thinner if you laminated some 2 or 3mm pieces with the grain going in different directions.

lots of people are laminating pieces for the end block and even the neck block to avoid cracking.

nice build so far!

keep up the great work.

Hector.

Whats the advantage to a smaller internal block? Weight? I'm not sure I want to take any more weight out of the body end. I'm already using the lightest sealed tuners I can find with ebony buttons and it balances perfectly.

Weight, and ease of mounting stuff. More of an issue with rosewood guitars (heavier back/side woods), I suppose, but my end blocks are now laminated and about half the thickness. Headblock is also only about an inch thick, and laminated, but will have CF bars reinforcing it. At the very least, on the tailblock, I'd bevel the edges so you only have as much contact as the lining makes. Especially if you orient it with the grain running 90 degrees to the sides.

Maybe a thicker block could limit stress if a cord was pulled, maybe someone trips over a cord. It is a bit thick, but probably not really a big deal, and offers some structural protection. I would smooth out the edges on the tailblock as Mattia mentioned, it will be a smoother edge for attaching the top/back. Laminating seems to be a very popular method, and offers some nice features. Mahogany is a very stable wood though (rad to tan), and using Mahogany sides and blocks I would think you have a very stable combination. I just tried using CF flying buttress braces on my current project (Mattia mentioned this also). I was amazed at how much of an effect it had on the sides. Rick Turner has been offering up a lot of advise on how he is constructing in these areas over at the OLF, you should go look over some of the topics when you get a moment.

The build is looking very clean. I bet you are going to really like your new heat blanket and side bending form. Keep up the good work!

Peace,Rich

Very nice! The color contrasts are perfect.

Exactly what I was thinking. The customer wanted a nice light colored guitar with contrasting binding, so he chose mahogany/spruce with rosewood binding. I just sent him these pictures, I think he will be very happy with the way the color turned out. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well she's all done. I just need to set it up now. Chris is at work right now but he will take pictures when he gets back.

This is the best guitar we've built yet (and it should be, duh). The finish turned out perfect and everything about it turned out great.

The fishman prefix pro system is very impressive. Kurt will come pick it up early next week so I only get to play it a few days :D It is quite difficult to play a left handed guitar, it's like learning the muscle memory all over again but it's easier because I already have all the knowledge of the chord forms etc.

This is the only picture I have of it now. I have to go get a case for it today and do the setup before we take any real pics.

P1130161-2.jpg

You can see those new heating pads for the bender sitting in the cabinet there at the back. We still have not had a chance to build the bender with so much else going on, we have to finish a few more electric orders before we can start on any more acoustic stuff.

instrument building for around 3 years. No prier woodworking skills (and I still don't consider myself a woodworker, just a guitar builder)

I'm amazed at how far you've come in such a short time. When I show your stuff to my wife and friends and tell them how old you are they're pretty much speechless. You have quite a future ahead of you.

Your spelling has improved a lot too. :D