Homemade Pickups

Ace

Okay this is a bit early, but still...

I'm interested in making my own pickups, too and I need some info on the materials. The commonly used copper wire for the coils seems to be AWG#42, right? What types of magnets are used in pickups. I read about Alnico, Alnico II and Alnico 500...I've found a supplier here in Germany who sends Alnico 500 rods, 6mm diameter, 25 mm length, which would be the ideal measurements for a pickup I think, but do I want Alnico 500? I know John Fishers site and his idea of making the bobbin out of a wood core and a plastic CD tray is genius, now all I need is the wire and the magnets and even more patience :-)

so long

ace

P.S.: I know what AlNiCo stands for, what really interests me is the tonal differences between the different types

I have gotten part way into this. I bought the book by Lollar (good practical info) and have made a few P-90 bobbins and wound them and installed polepiecs but not magnets yet. I scrounged some 43 guage wire locally and made a winder from second hand store parts. If you want to know more you can email me. Here is a place to buy supplies:

http://www.ampge.com/

They offer different levels of membership (from free to $250) that also translate into different levels of discount. So a $25 membership gets you 15-25% off list. They also have a forum, but it is much newer than the one posted earlier in this thread.

It is all interesting to me and I also do it 'cause I'm cheap. The best part is that you realize that some of the things we take to be semi-magical, electro-techie are really fairly simple. And since some of the ideals for tone were established in guitars made in the 50s the technology back then was well within a home hobbiest's capability now. Fender and Gibson didn't have expensive or precise winders, so we don't need them either. At least for self use as opposed to a commercial operation needing very consistant product.

Here is another page that is helpful and interesting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/winding.htm

Thanks saber, but apart from the fact that this was NOT my question :D I have been sorely reminded that I'm in Germany when looking for Allparts over here today. There IS a distribution but the distributor will only sell to resellers, so I'm gonna have to order the parts through MY music dealer again and I figure that I can just buy a new pickup for that price...

so long

ace

btw bobbin is a very stupid word...I mean the phonetics...still it gives a possibility for a comic spoof "Ratman and Bobbin"

• 4 months later...

i built a parrallel picup system using a standard humbucker [ie half of it or one coil]its magnet and i used six reedrelays from ratshack moded to make a hexpickup, added in some trimpots to set the balance and alnico eraser type magnets and we have a killer hot hex/humbucker.

you can use it as a hex alone or as a hexbucker for some killerdefinitions and balance..

perhaps a little ot but worthy of trying