Band Saw Blades

mdw3332

Craigslist strikes again - I bought a new Craftsman 14" bandsaw (in the box) for $300. I didn't really need it as my old 12" just keeps running along, but the new one does have a 1 HP motor an 8" resaw capacity, so I'm happy.

What size and brand of blades do you experts recommend for resawing? I'm not going to be doing a lot, but would rather spend the money and get some decent blades. The saw has a 3/4" blade capacity.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Marty

Marty,

If you are resawing, and want low loss. Look at the woodslicer or bladerunners. Smooth and very low loss (1/2" is a good recommendation). A much longer lasting resaw blade would be a carbide Lennox trimaster. For regular apps (body, neck, etc....), just pick up a basic carbon steel blade, timber wolf, allpro or whatever. They all last pretty good for that type of sawing. If you are doing a bunch of resawing, especially with high dollar woods go for the trimaster.

Peace,Rich

First thing is check the size blade you need and see what is available. If that 14" is the same on I was looking at for a little while, the only place that carries blades is Sears. And you have 3 blades to choose from. Your only other option is to learn to weld your own blades so you can buy what ever type of blade you want and then make they right sized blade.

First thing is check the size blade you need and see what is available. If that 14" is the same on I was looking at for a little while, the only place that carries blades is Sears. And you have 3 blades to choose from. Your only other option is to learn to weld your own blades so you can buy what ever type of blade you want and then make they right sized blade.

You can have blades made to length. The cost is usually about $5-$10 for welding up custom lengths.

Hi Marty, congrats on the new saw. Like Rich said you can get custom length bands made at saw shops. I get 1/2 inch 3tpi blades made for $10 at a local shop, usually have to wait for 15 minutes. Not the trick, low-wastage kind, but decent quality. What is the blade length on your saw?

By the way, how is your health these days? I need to get up your way and check out the latest shop additions and projects. Dan

Dan, it would be great to see you. Let's talk and hook up sometime.

The health scene is pretty discouraging - I need to have both knees and my shoulder replaced, but they are having real problems getting my blood pressure under control enough for surgery. I'm scheduled to have the right knee done Feb 16th, but that's not looking too good. It's getting pretty old - but then, so am I :D

The blade is 99 3/4. I haven't tried much with it, but it seems very smooth with plenty of power - and a whole lot quieter than the old guy.

Hope all is good with you and the family, I'll talk to you soon.

Marty