Ergonomic Guitar Build

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrgghhh - I added what I thought the final touch to my styrofoam mould yesterday.... I had bought spray filler to be able to get a really good wet sanded finish.

But... some component or other of the spray filler melted the styrofoam, so it's now ruined.

Too depressing to photograph at the moment, but I will document this setback at some point. In the meantime, I am hoping to put the final touches on the bridge parts early this week to send off for finishing.

• 3 weeks later...

How depressing - for you, of course, but also for the rest of us following your project with fascination.

It might be wishful thinking, but perhaps your next mold will be even better than the one that was ruined. At least it's my experience that often, when something in a project goes wrong and you have to start all over, there's a couple of things that you'd have liked to do differently anyway.

Until then, I'll look forward to the bridge. Will you mount it in an existing guitar or wait until you have the ergonomic one ready?

/Alex

I am making some progress on the bridge, although the guitar itself has been down due to other priorities. More stuff on my site as usual!

img_0544-400x300.jpg

img_0542-400x300.jpg

I am making two bridges: one Floyd Rose drop-in replacement and one fixed. I will have a few spare tuners as well, opening up possibilities for 7- or 8-string deployments in the first round.

Mattia,

I have done most of the machining myself, in the lathe at the place where my day job is. The stuff where I got help, was on an understanding that I will place a "real" order if it turns out well, so I haven't paid anything yet.

If/when I do place a production order, it will be for manufacture of all the parts, so I will have more info then.

Cheers,

Ola

Bump, for great justice!

That's a fantastic weight reduction! Once you get more free time, I'd love to hear some clips.

Now if I'm getting this correctly... the Floyd drop-in is a headless bridge? Which is why no tuners were included when you were weighing the bridges out. For a second I thought you were manufacturing two different bridges...

Bump, for great justice!

That's a fantastic weight reduction! Once you get more free time, I'd love to hear some clips.

Now if I'm getting this correctly... the Floyd drop-in is a headless bridge? Which is why no tuners were included when you were weighing the bridges out. For a second I thought you were manufacturing two different bridges...

Yes, I am doing two bridges - which in fact just means two different mounting plates for the saddles/tuners. The pictured one is headless, so the strings are locked at the nut with the existing FR lock. I could cut the headstock off altogether if I wanted to but I think I'll put the Floyd back when I have finished toying with it. I am borrowing a Charvel for another conversion project next week. At that time, I am also making some sound clips.

Does the extra wrappings near the ball end of the string interfere with the nut being able to lock? Or do you clamp them past the extra windings, where the normal thickness is?

Nope, the ball end is on the bridge side. The string is routed through a threaded plunger that is moved back and forth by turning the knurled knob.

These are looking great. I'm really amazed by all the cool ideas in this thread.

I'm going to have to see if I can't rig something like this up - I have an old (my first) build with a wide enough neck to make into a twelve string, but I don't think I have enough headstock space to fit all the tuners at up there - I'm thinking six at each end, with ferrules in the headstock.

How much movement do find you need to bring the string up to pitch?

If you ever end up selling something like this, I'd be interested, if for nothing else than to support cool efforts like this.

I have posted some sound samples of replacing an original Floyd-Rose and the tuners (i.e. 1 lb weight reduction!) with my tremolo on my site.

The replacement itself took less than 15 minutes, including removing the tuners and adjusting the post height, etc. Very promising! I wish I had had the guts to cut off the headstock as well, but I actually want to keep the guitar as-is and use my prototype for more tests so the FR is back on again.

Quite a noticeable difference in sound, I hope to the better?

• 3 weeks later...
If you ever end up selling something like this, I'd be interested

+1, for the fixed-bridge version.

There really aren't many choices available as far as headless guitar bridges, and none as elegant as the Strandberger bridge. Transtrems and S-trems are very heavy, and have a substantial effect on a guitar's tone; they also require special routing for installation. ETS makes headless bass bridges, but do they also make headless guitar bridges? Didn't see any on their website.

I currently use ABM headless bridges for my projects, but the Strandberger bridge looks really nice. If you can produce and sell them for a reasonable price, I bet you'll have several potential buyers right off the bat.

Edited by OM Guitars

If you're thinking about making a producting run, count me as an interested party, though of course I'd need a quote before committing. :D

"But the tone of the Floyd-Rose had more lows and highs and the “Strandberger” (had to name it that…) had a more pronounced mid range."

I'm all about the midrange. Sign me up, sir! :D

I'm really surprised at the difference in sound. Very impressed.

If you do get a production of these going, I think we'd all appreciate some ordering/pricing information. There seems to be a ton of interest here!

I really want to congratulate you again on this undertaking. This is one of the threads on the forums that has captured my constant attention. I really like what it transpiring here :D

I think you're trem system looks great! I can't wait to see the strandberger all finished. If you ever decide to manufacture that trem you made then I am buying one.