Anybody Wanna Do A 'Carriburst' Competition?

Drak

Well, if it were me, I'd opt for just straight Maple tops, but this is about fun and creativity, and so many seemed to want to try something different, me sez why not?

This is how totally new and rad **** is created, by bending the rules, so I sez go fer it you cra-zee Sycamore-heads! :D

I am actually hoping Brian will pick this up and create any rules he thinks should be in place, he's good at that, and usually is pretty open-minded also. Y'know, give it some formal type of 'street cred'...

Now that he's back, I'll shoot him a PM and see if he'll take this thang on for the 'forum at large'. I hope he does, maybe he'll find a prize to offer! B)

I would also like to see a list coming into late December as to who's still innit.

My real only absolute rules:

1) that you don't start it until everyone else does (Jan.1) (not really enforcable, but I'm not the guitar police either)

2) it has to be completely 100% finished, strung, intonated, and playable to enter it next January.

3) that YOU did the finish. If you want to buy the body/neck from someone, that's cool, but you have to do the Carriburst.

That's it from me, maybe Brian will have something else to add if he thinks it appropriate.

Hell, I don't want to 'run' anything, I just want to build a Carriburst to KILL! :D

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh...dude...you're backwards there...might want to start chanting "no left brain..."

the left and frontal lobes of the brain are what do the calculating for the mind, while the rear/right portion is the imagination/creativity musical side. most musicians fall under the "right-front" heavy area (the math from music and the right from music) while secretaries would be, say, front left, and english teachers are one hundred percent rear right, social studies teachers are that weird left rear, where everything has a settled path, but they look at it weird ways...

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Yeah, well you use your right brain.

For a prize we could give a haystak....with a needle in it of course.

But in reality, a calender is an awesome idea. I'd buy two at least. And they'd make killer presents...if we could get them by next christmas. Dont know tho, cuz thats kinda pushing it timewise.

So I guess I just wanna know officially, who has what in mind. And are you participating Brian?

Wes, don't you know creative folks aren't worth diddly at accounting, that's why they have wives!

It's all left brain man, no right brain!

Repeat the mantra: NO RIGHT BRAIN! NO RIGHT BRAIN! NO RIGHT BRAIN! B)

don't think i don't know you changed your post!...it used to say "but i don't want anyone knowing how much i spent on my quilted top...it's embaresin! :D

and men are supposed to be better at numbers.

but don't you think that would be helpful to people so they know whether they are spending too much?

SD Dan, that's funny, I knew I had a 50/50 shot at it...and blew it.

Litch, I think Brian is going to take it, but he wanted at least the weekend to gather his thoughts on the matter. He'll let us know when he's got a plan I think.

Wes, it IS embarrassin! that's why I removed it damn you! :D

...but OK, I'll try to keep some financial statements factually stating where the party of the first part, ...being of sound left brain...bla bla bla, yada yada yada...where'd that damn decimal point go agin?

You wouldn't think it'd need a headstock, would ya? Ypu could use one of those no-tuners jobs that BC rich uses on some of their new models, or build it like one of those "no-headstock-travelers"... I vote you guys do keep calculations of all costs, and exactly what parts are used, and where bought. Brian should become ring leader of this shindig, obviously. He should set up a special password-protected portion of projectguitar.com where everycontestant has to log onto and enter the info on price and such. I think there should be an open poll for everyone on projectguitar to vote on who should win the contest. to keep it fair, the only people who should be aloud to vote are those that are forum regulars or higher, because let's say drak (i'm not picking on ya, man) REALLY wants the prize, he could just have like 30 of his frineds and relatives sign up for projectguitar just to vote for him, and thats not fair. Also there should be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, all of which should win a prize. I'm going to start keeping my eyes peeled for a nice flea-market fixer-uper find for 3rd place or so. Everyone who enters should be updated to whatever the highest ranking or avatar or whatever is... Or a "carriburst entrist" or the winners could get like "1st place-Carriburst Contest"

Thats my two cents.

it's always the one that wants to cheat that says that Mr.Westheman, or should I say, HITLER!!!!!

j/k man. Happy Birthday btw. B)

:D:D

it's not my birthday :D

but the problem is that the harder you make this to enter the fewer the people who will participate.we are not a forum full of cheaters.we are adults.anyone old enough to afford to build a quality carriburst is too old to cheat on a contest like this,which is actually more for fun and educational value. :D

...I got a feelin' she's gonna ROLL right thru to Jan.1 BWAHAAHAAHAA! B)

...Uhhhhh... probably not tho...

Hey, I was jez readin' anudder post by StonesCreed and it made me tink of somdin'...

I already know how to do a Carriburst, and I'm sure others do to, but for the folks who are giving it a run...

...but may not know 'everything there is to know' about the fabled and infamous Carriburst finish, I thought maybe we should have a tips and tricks section?

I'm posting this 'cause Brian said to keep the ideas flowing...so I'm just throwing it out.

...and this is supposed to be FUN, and a 'kewl' learning experience for those who might need some asistance along the way.

So, even tho I might not want to actually UNLEASH my babaliciously bountiful 'burst until Jan. 1 '05, I thought we should keep the young'uns in tow if they need help in picking stains, mixing stains, applying stains, water stains on wood, stains mixed in as toners...

...all the different ways one can get to 'THE ISLAND'...

So maybe ren had a point of having a 'special reference section' for this, or we can just do it thru normal channels on the inlays and finish forum...

Maybe we'll let this thread die and start up a thread on the inlay and finish section talking about all the different hues and mixtures you can use to do a carriburst.

That would be kind of like an helpful informative thing that could be pinned for future reference?

just tinkin' oud loud mahn. Kirkoutmahn. :D