Guitar Of The Month For March

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 21st of February then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

This build was my first so I figured I'd see how it does

Specs:

2 piece lightly spalted alder body

Maple neck w/ black side dots

Tung oil finish

American Fender hardtail bridge

Seymour Duncan SH8 invader (bridge)

Single volume control with push/pull coil tap

knockoff Vintage Kluson tuners

n1226850007300249695055zt2.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8849/n1...49705532fa0.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/563/n12...49726126bb2.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6734/n1...49736427wr8.jpg

Hi there!

I scanned some old photos today and created a gallery on my site and thought I would be so bold as to enter an almost 20 year old instrument for this month. It's at least the first time it's shown in public... Sadly this particular instrument was stolen when it was on display at a shop.

Neck: 3 pieces of quartersawn wenge with cherry veneers in between

Fingerboard: Wenge

Body: Cherry

Pickups: Ibanez LO-B5

Bridge: Schaller

Tuners: Gotoh

It's called Kebbon Bass V as it is a 5-string sibling of Kebbon Bass IV, which was commissioned by Andreas Kebbon. Enjoy!

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

47.jpg

Here's a progress picture as well. FYI, the knight stuff is my little brother's.

Edited by Strandberg Guitarworks

I suppose I mayswell wack in my latest guitar; DMG002E - long scale singlecut

27" scale

Mahogany neck through and wings

Walnut top

p90 neck pickup

Graphtech ghost saddles/preamp

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Also check out Russell Malone playing this guitar at the 2008 Jazz on a Winter's weekend festival

Aussie timbers neck-through carvetop

Queensland walnut body and neck (chambered body)

Tasmanian oak 16mm dual-carve top

25" scale ebony bound f/board with paua dots

Seymour duncan H/B's sh-2 & sh-4

T.O.M. bridge and string through ferrules recessed into back

many dyed maple laminations

Finished in nitro with a faux binding and a gentle top burst.

Click here for the Build Slideshow

done10.jpg

done11.jpg

done1.jpg

backlams.jpg

full back shot

cheers, Stu :D

I just finished my last project: a Neck-through guitar with a Semi-hollow body.

Here are the specifications:

Body

· Semi-hollow body

· Mahogany body with flamed maple top

· Center line made of abalone

· Finish: cherry

Neck

· Laminated Mahogany/Wenge

· '59 Les

Every feed-back is welcome ;-)

· Indian rosewood fret board

· Abalone inlay at the 12th fret

· Neck-Through construction

Pickups

· PRS HFS and Vintage Bass

· Fishman piezo bridge

Wiring

· PRS 5-way rotary

· Passive piezo bridge activated pulling a knob

Here are some pictures:

nt1.jpg

nt2.jpg

nt3.jpg

nt4.jpg

nt5.jpg

nt6.jpg

I call it the Offset Nut

Hi guys, this is my first complete build (I did a build a while ago with a neck I bought, and haven’t been able to stop). Sorry if the writing is quite long, but there are some unique things that I thought some people would like to know about.

It was started a long time ago, but I stopped halfway to work on a bass for my girlfriend as we got a band together and had trouble finding a bassist that worked well with the band, so I decided to make her a bass and tech her to play. The bass is structurally finished, but hasn’t been properly finished or have all the electronics (just the bridge pickup and a mess of wires that will go to the right point when the parts all are in there.

Enough about the bass, heres my offset walnut guitar

The body is a 2 piece American walnut body. I got the piece discounted as it had a knot and was not the full thickness in many parts of the board. It wasn’t a big deal for guitar building as I ensured the knot was where a cutout was. Also meant I couldn’t put the join along the middle point. There is a small elbow cut on the front and tummy cut on the rear, similar to a strat but not as much.

The neck is a laminate of rock maple (quarter sawn) with a wenge centre. Using the quarter sawn wood meant I could get the neck fairly thin. I wanted a thinner feeling neck as opposed to my last build, which was a bit fatter feeling. the maple ended up having a bit of figure to it which is a nice surprise.

The fretboard is striped ebony with mother of pearl inlays (I couldn’t believe how long simple block inlays can take, i think its worth it though).

The headstock was a scarf joint with walnut veneers i made from offcuts of the walnut body wood.

The neck joint was originally going to be a bolt on, but with the bolts coming from above (hidden by a pickguard) into the body, with another 2 coming from the back of the body into the part of the neck behind the fretboard. The neck pocket was made the weird shape I had to ensure there was plenty of strength and leverage for the neck, so that I could avoid the neck pocket sticking out from the body. This way I could get better upper fret access, and having the points of the neck further apart to get a wider stance and a more efficient grip on the neck. After making the neck pocket and seeing how tight it was, I thought about gluing the neck in to avoid seeing the last 2 neck screws, and improve the mechanical connection. I ended up keeping 2 screws in as they were hidden anyway, and i could only get one clamp to hold the neck in place. i am extremely happy with the design, as the shape of the necks end means it is held from all sides but up. i actually got it stuck in there a number of times and spent a while getting it out each time.

Regarding the shape , it was originally going to have a butt similar to a fender, but i accidentally cut too deep when trimming some of the template with the router (was feeling too lazy to sand) and thought it might look good with the cutaway in the back, matching the angle of the front. I’m happy with the way it worked out.

The hardware I bought on ebay, as I don’t have too much money being a university student. The bridge is a roller tunomatic with ferrules as opposed to a tailpiece. The tuners are the same as many around with a somewhat unique shape that I quite like for this build. I made the pickguard from a blank piece of material. I made the truss rod from 10mmx10mm U channel aluminium and a ¼” rod. It is adjustable from the heel under the pickguard, to give it a cleaner look. I have barely had to adjust the truss rod, probably due to the quarter sawn neck wood and ebony fretboard. Having such a big rod and u section probably means it gives a lot of support itself.

Regarding the Electronics

I made the pickup bobbins (from offcuts of wenge) and wound the pickups myself. I was looking for the look of a p90 (or any larger single coil) but kept the actual size of the coil fairly tall and thin, and in reality they are pretty similar to strat pickups. I used 5mm alnico 5 rod magnets (same as fender single coils) on the neck, and used some 6.5mm alnico rod magnets for the bridge. I wound the coil 8200/ 6.05 kOhms (neck) and 8500/ 7.4 kOhms (bridge) times to get fairly bright pickups as I was intending on putting a switch in to put the pickups in series and didn’t want that setting ending up too boomy, and could always use that setting to get more output and a fatter sound. (Putting 2 singlecoils in series makes a humbucker pickup, when they are out of phase electrically and magnetically, which I did). I also added a switch to invert the phase, to get out of phase sounds as well. There are 3 switches, the black switch is the same pickup switch you find on a Gibson (neck/parallel/bridge). The mini switch is the series/parallel (single coil/humbucker if you like). This switch bypasses the pickup select switch, as it must use both pickups. The third switch is a push-pull on the volume knob (closest to the bridge), which inverts the phase to give a thinner, hollow sound.

The finish of the guitar is Danish oil with some beeswax rubbed in. I love the feel of the finish on the neck, it so smooth and along with the fairly thin neck makes for a fast playing guitar with great upper fret access.

I’m very impressed with the sounds I can get from the guitar. It is quite versatile due to the different electrical options. The humbucking mode gives a thick sound, where the single coil modes are a nice fender tone. The bridge pickup seems to add more mids to the tone of a bridge single coil, due to the larger magnets. The out of phase sounds are actually pretty useful when used in humbucking mode, but the parallel out of phase sound is a bit useless as it has lower output compared to the rest. I have just finished my second amplifier build (based loosely on the normal channel of an ac15) and it sounds great through it, ill do a little recording when I wont annoy anyone too much (the only cab I have is a 4x12 which carries sound a little too well for home use, especially when trying to crank an amp to its sweet spot)

only downside is the weight, its unchambered and 50mm thick with some of the heaviest woods commonly used. i dont mind, but its the first thing people comment about it when they put it over their shoulder.

Thanks guys

Love the other builds, a lot of talent shining through this month.

here are some photos, the last is there to show how the neck tennon is shaped.

walnutguitarfront.jpg

walnutguitarrear.jpg

walnutguitarside.jpg

walnutguitarneckjoint.jpg

Edited by black_labb

This guitar is called the "Hyper-Sonic". It is a 24" shortscale guitar.

Specs-

Body - Alder

Neck - Amber Tinted Maple

Inlays - Aluminum tubes with abalone inserts

Side markers - Aluminum tubes with white dot inserts

Color - White w/ mint pickguard

Bridge - Recessed TOM with string thru.

Pickups - GFS power rails in bridge position, GFS fat PAF in neck

Electronics - 3 position toggle, volume, tone.

Tuning machines - Vintage kluson style

Headstock decal - custom "wemmert" logo

here is the link to the 6 month long build. build link

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture021.jpg

AF DESIREE

My first real Desiree guitar finally finished.

BODY - South American Mahogany/Flamed Maple

NECK - Wenge

FRETBOARD - Wenge w/rosewood binding and stainless steel frets

PICKUPS - Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen (neck), Bare Knuckle Nailbomb (bridge)

HARDWARE - Gotoh 510 tuners, Goth hardtail

61.jpg

63.jpg

68.jpg

76.jpg

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7