"copyleft" ~ Open Source For Guitar Plans

I am tinkering with the idea of making all my materials and plans available under Gnu Public License (GPL) or Gnu Free Documentation License (GFDL). What this means is that anyone is free to use them and adapt them, but that I can enforce that anyone who does has to

1. Refer to me as the original copyright holder, and
  2. Make their own additions/enhancements/use public under the same license

These are examples of copyleft, as in 180px-Copyleft.svg.png.

What do you think?

There are some examples that make me laugh when I look at their sites and "TM" is the most prominent phrase along with "Patented".

Sounds interesting, and I'm definitely all for it! I don't bother with my stuff for the sole reason I'm too lazy to collate any designs I have (which aren't that original, really) into something shareable via the internets :D

Honeslty, though, I think something like creative commons licensing of your materials might be a more useful system; works well for written and recorded works, fairly broad acceptance base, and is more in the spirit of sharing your creations with other creative minds and being fairly specific about what rights you wish to reserve, and which ones you wish to maintain. Sounds like you're after a Creative Commons Attribute Share-Alike license.

http://creativecommons.org/license/

I'm an enormous supporter of open source in general, be it music, applications, books, plans, whatever.

I think it's a fantastic way to spread your love for guitars to people who otherwise either couldnt afford it, or would just look for "alternative" ways of obtaining it.

However, you will always get some sadsack little undesireable who leeches off your hard work by removing any accreditations (is that a word) to yourself, but as long as you remember that the community in general fully appreciates your work, I think you should go for it.

I, for one, would be very very appreciative.