Emg Question

killemall8

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try wiring up the battery directly to the pickup and then do away with every thing except that out put jack that will be the simplest way of having it wired if it doesnt work then i would say the pickup got dammaged.

Please allow me to ask some very obvious questions:

- Are you sure the guitar cable (lead) you're using works ??

- Are you sure the amp works ??

As a matter of fact I wouldn't continue the troubleshooting until I can make sure these two work OK.

Other than these, the only reasons I see for getting nothing are:

- You're not closing the circuit properly with the battery and the jack. Remove the battery clip black wire from the jack and temporarily solder it directly to the case of the volume pot and check.

- I don't know the pinout of the "quick connect" on the pickup, I hope EMG has done it in a clever way, but there's the possibility that you have killed the electronics in the pickupt when you connected it upside-down. Unlikely, but after reading the thread I cannot think of anything else.

Hope it is of any help.

I would have to agree that is sounds like there is a problem with the amp or the guitar lead. If you are wiring up a passive pickup directly to the jack and getting nothing. Then either the jack is messed up, or there is a problem somewhere else. I am sure you have a friend somewhere that has a guitar to plug into your rig.

Their prices sure have gone up. I wish I had bought a dozen sets just to sell later when their price's went up.

I was lucky in the past having purchased two EMG-ZW sets at Guitar Center for $160 each when they were selling them for $200 each. At the time Ed Roman was selling EMG-ZW sets online for $160 so the GC salesman honored that price.

I would imagine that Guitar Center would sell them for less than the best deal online to get the sale. Since I have three EMG-ZW's, an 81, an 85, three 707's and a 81-7 I won't be needing to buy any more EMG's any time soon.

Jeff

i dont know if its stereo or not. but its the same plug i used for other actives. and that worked.

Here's a link to a page which shows how you know a stereo from a mono jack plug.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Jack_plug.png

(The top pic is a stereo one, the bottom one is a mono)

You want a stereo jack SOCKET, BUT a mono jack CABLE. The reason the socket must be stereo is simply because it has an extra connector which is used to form a "switch" which allows the power circuit to be completed when the plug is inserted, and physically breaks the circuit once you remove the plug. This avoids the obvious problem of your 9v battery draining all the time.

I'm sure you knew this already though :D

At this stage, I really would think about at least trying a different cable - if for no other reason than to eliminate that possibility!

Hope this helps!

DJ

Edited by djhollowman

i dont know if its stereo or not. but its the same plug i used for other actives. and that worked.

Here's a link to a page which shows how you know a stereo from a mono jack plug.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Jack_plug.png

(The top pic is a stereo one, the bottom one is a mono)

You want a stereo jack SOCKET, BUT a mono jack CABLE. The reason the socket must be stereo is simply because it has an extra connector which is used to form a "switch" which allows the power circuit to be completed when the plug is inserted, and physically breaks the circuit once you remove the plug. This avoids the obvious problem of your 9v battery draining all the time.

I'm sure you knew this already though :D

At this stage, I really would think about at least trying a different cable - if for no other reason than to eliminate that possibility!

Hope this helps!

DJ

its a mono jack then. but i have tried 4 different cables. thanks

So confused.

You need a stereo jack, and now you're saying it's a mono jack? Looked like a stereo jack to me, though I didn't look too carefully.

So confused.

You need a stereo jack, and now you're saying it's a mono jack? Looked like a stereo jack to me, though I didn't look too carefully.

i meant mono cable. sorry about that.

I suggested wiring direct to the cable from the amp in case the jack on the guitar is wired incorrectly. If the problem is still there then at least you have eliminated the jack.

It may be helpfull if you list the problem and where you touch the jack to cause the problem to go away and what you have changed or done to this point so everything is in one post. It's hard to get a handle on what is going on when the thread is large. Probably best done in piont form.

I'm getting curious..