Mains Hum On A Tube Amp

Denis

Help !!

I just sold my Marshall transistor stack and bought a 5 watt tube amp that is just wonderful - except when I have my PC switched on, and then it hums like hell.

They are both plugged into the same mains circuit (grounded) in the same room.

With the minimal amount of knowledge that I have, I feel that the PC needs to be shielded on some way. Does this make sense? If so, how? What else might it be, and what should I try?

I really want to be able to use them both together, as I like jamming to tracks on the PC.

Thanks in advance

Denis

If you have a CRT monitor (as opposed to LCD), that'll be more likely the problem. Though, it should've been noticeable on your solid-state as well since your guitar will pickup the EMI/RFI (I can't remember which a CRT emits).

If you have a CRT monitor (as opposed to LCD), that'll be more likely the problem. Though, it should've been noticeable on your solid-state as well since your guitar will pickup the EMI/RFI (I can't remember which a CRT emits).

Sorry. I should have made that clear. I have an LCD monitor. I just tried the amp with the PC on and the screen off, and the hum was still there, at the same intensity, so it sounds like the PC rather than the LCD.

Denis

Well, that's me out of ideas already then. :D I gave up on hum a long time ago in the apartment I currently live in. It's a mess. Best of luck!

You can try unplugging cables from the PC checking for hum reduction to see if there is a leaky or not so shielded cable in use. If you get all the cables unplugged but the power, then the PC may be inducing something back into the outlet but run an extension cord to the amp from another room to see if that is the case.

You could also try and use a surge protector(A REAL ONE, NOT A MULTI OUTLET)

My friend records in his apartment, but his PC goes into a big Battery backup surge protector that I bet helps with grounding and feedback a ton.

I would try the extension cord first, a much cheaper solution.