Guitar Of The Month For April

Guitar of the Month for April  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I liked them all. I can't get my head around basses with more then 4 strings though!

Daintree did it for me bit of a gretschy/ricky thing going on in the horns?

Jester: When I saw this guitar the first thing I thought was, "this could be branded with the PRS logo" and if you are a fan of PRS, that's a complement. It's a top notch build with everything you would want from a PRS and I absolutely love that neck: from the wood binding to the wood choices! no inlays... always something that excites me!

decadentjon: To start I have always been a mosrite fan and one of my most prized basses was a Univox flyer (which has gotten away from me over the years) and when I saw this one with the wood choices I just had to spend 20 minutes thinking about that old bass my Dad got me when I was younger. Anyways, the build was really strong and had a vintage mosrite look to clear down to the tilted neck pickup. I always thought that the pick guard on these guitars was the best looking pick guard ever designed. The fulcrum style bridge and inlay threw this build off a little for me. Both arent my style, although the inlay was clean... just seemed out of place for this build.

Phil Maillux: What can I say...Holy crap that's a lot of strings! Although I would never think of playing this guitar I can appreciate the work that went into it and it would surely catch my attention at a guitar store. I love how you took an issue (like finding a 9 string pickup) and solved it by designing your own and with those wooden covers they came out looking awesome. seemed a bit off that a bass with this much tension on the neck pocket would be a bolt on design. I would think a neck through would yield a more stable guitar over the long run. Just my thoughts though.

Doug 59: I'm a big BCR fan so I love laminates and I also love semi hollow guitars with F style holes in the face so it would be natural that I would like this build: and I do but I don't care for the shape. Good craftsmanship all the way around but for me, if I don't like the shape, I can't vote for it.

Scottyd: I guess the word about this build is "self-Build." To me that speaks volumes about a luthier. Who builds their own hardware??? I absolutely love the wood choices and the ascetics of the build. I love the bass side of the body and how it rides up the neck. The LED markers are a bit of a gimmick for me but I don't play on a dark stage and it's possible that might be the reason that the LEDs are lost one me. The cover plate for the controls could have also been a little tighter but for the most par, it looked good too. I guess I'm just getting used to seeing a lot of those seamless cover plates now.

Who did I vote for? Scottyd all the way. It was an excellent month and I was really tempted for vote for the mosrite copy but when someone builds their own tuner system, and pickups and puts together a really strong build: they deserve the vote.

I usually don't post after voting, but I had to this time. Everyone's build was fantastic this month. Really, I mean that... you all did a great job. Extra special congratulations go to Phil. ERB's are really complicated, and you pulled it off in a big way. In the end, I had to vote for Scottyd. The bass is unique and cool and built with superior craftsmanship, but what really put it over the top is the tuning system. It looks great, and as a person with some machining experience, I really like the fact the you built it yourself.

Wow,another great group of guitars and basses....I wish I could vote for all of you ,but that would not help would it.Beautiful work all the way around.I voted for the Daintree ,the lines and art of it ,the wood ,just a beauty.I loved it the first time I saw it.All I can add is you all did a great job ,they are all winners.

I would have to give my vote to ivy, the finish is incredible, the carved top brings out the grain of the wood well and really looks great. Just incredible craftsmanship overall. :D

Also to the rest of the builders great work, my jaw dropped when I saw how wide that nine string fretboard was!

Edited by wohzah

Thought I would put in some of my thoughts as to why I voted for "The Ivy". Just IMHO of course, and all the builds are of such a high quality it is really down to opinion.

Jester: Very professional looking build, and love the neck laminates. Also like the way the neck is inlay free so that it highlights the binding and gold hardware. Not a fan of the colour for the top though, but it works well. Also the pickup cavity seems to be doubling as weight relief, not sure if that was the plan, but again not a fan. Still looks great and wouldn't look out of place next to other PRS guitars.

Decadantjon: Great work on the inlay and the colours work well together. Like the figuring of the wood. My missus liked the pickgaurd shape as well (I didn't, but she may have better taste). I'd prefer the body to have been stained darker, as it does seem cream and black which doesn't take my fancy. The inlay, while well done, also doesn't take my fancy.

Phil: I sent a pic of this too my brother under the title "novelty guitar/bass". It's well made, and is an achievement, but it feels like there are that many strings 'because you can' rather than for a purpose. Hence novelty.

Doug: I find that the figured maple clashes too much with the neck-thru woods. Nothing else strikes me as interesting with it.

Scottyd: Like the body shape. The LED inlays are a nice touch, as is the wooden bridge. The fact that a lot of the hardware is self built is good too. Not quite as novelty as Phil's, but still 6 strings still feels like 'because you can'.

Phil: I sent a pic of this too my brother under the title "novelty guitar/bass". It's well made, and is an achievement, but it feels like there are that many strings 'because you can' rather than for a purpose. Hence novelty.

We also like to throw down several thousand dollars so we can build and play these instruments. Just because we can. :D Let's not turn this into another "that's not practical" debate.

We also like to throw down several thousand dollars so we can build and play these instruments. Just because we can. :D Let's not turn this into another "that's not practical" debate.

I'm also with you. I used to be one of the "that is not playable" until you and a few others started posting those YouTube videos!

I'm also with you. I used to be one of the "that is not playable" until you and a few others started posting those YouTube videos!

Speaking of which, if you already watched the video I posted of the 9 on the "in progress" thread, the guy playing it is just a local bass player who had never played more than a 6 string bass before. He had no problem adjusting to the 9 strings with just a few minutes of playing around with it.

My comment about the basses wasn't meant to be negative in many ways they were the most impressive builds in terms of making something that huge playable and attractive and i can't get my head around how you guys do it! if i didn't have the worlds smallest hands i'd love to play either of them!

I just really liked daintree.

Edited by joshvegas

I went with Phil's Bass as well, just an amazing instrument. To design and create nearly every piece of that instrument is amazing, also the fact that it doesn't even look remotely bulky or out of proportion is a serious achievement in my eyes. I can see how a knowledgeable/skilled player could have a blast with that thing, probably opens up the doors for all kinds of new and different techniques that aren't possible with less strings. Very cool build, excellent craftsmanship, and it just looks amazing, nice work Phil.

Aside from Phil's entry, I found all the entries to be excellent builds! It was a nice mix this month of instruments, some nicely figured and some with plenty of nice laminates, all very nice stuff. They were all top notch builds. J

Edited by jmrentis