router tutorial

krazyderek

Can anybody here weigh in on "climbing" the cut when trimming a figured top to minmize tearout? I've got some experience, and a healthy fear of power tools, and was taught never to climb cut, but I was recently told that climbing the cut on the endgrain at the waist, lower bout and cutaways was useful for getting a clean edge. After having a buffer wheel try to sling me and a guitar across the room, I'm really not anxious to risk something similar with a tool that has a carbide bit in it - I've managed to keep all my fingers so far. If the workpiece is well-anchored, and my hands are on the other side of the guitar, I can keep the risks low, but is it even worth bothering? I could just bandsaw it close to my line, and finish the contour on my spindle sander - what do you think?

McInnis - got everything but the pricing page done, going to shop around to find some deals for people just looking for something cheap.

please let me know if i over looked anything, i just today thought about bit rotation and which way not to move a peice of wood so it doesn't fly out of your hands.

minus 1 or 2 pictures cause i don't really have any wood to practice making a neck pocket on for the tutorial, but i tried my best

• 2 weeks later...
Can anybody here weigh in on "climbing" the cut when trimming a figured top to minmize tearout?

I do this along with using a bit of tape as well. It has to be strong tape though - not just regular ol' masking tape. I use the double stick tape from stewmac. It is usually needed anyway to hold my template on but I make sure that the tape goes right up to the cut line. I use a climb cut for the first pass and then come back in the normal direction to finish it. It has worked very well for me so far. I have also heard (not confirmed) that dampening the wood can help prevent tear out also. I'm just a bit nervous with water around my wood.

My hero...I've been looking for something like that, I just hesitated to ask for fear of the slam section (though I wouldn't know if I was in there, I've only read the first two pages).

uumm..well you are not in there ...at all...sorry if that disapoints..we only make fun of you if you visit.kind of an unspoken rule...you no visit,we no talk.....but you really are missing out on some highbrow intellectual discussion

well done! i fear machine tools alot!! dad ran his thumb through a bench saw, was lucky he didnt loose it, one mother of a scar! had dad do my routing tonight, decent router + decent bits = job well done, especially if you cut using guides :D

mike