Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd Edition (new One)

angry_jeremy

So Erlewine's book came the other day (awesome). Guess what I found by cracking it open? A dated autograph by the man himself "From my shop to yours... Dan Erlewine 12-3-08". Anyone heard anything about this? Is he signing the first X amount of books? Needless to say I'm pumped. I'd frame it but I can't wait to read it many, many times.

So Erlewine's book came the other day (awesome). Guess what I found by cracking it open? A dated autograph by the man himself "From my shop to yours... Dan Erlewine 12-3-08". Anyone heard anything about this? Is he signing the first X amount of books? Needless to say I'm pumped. I'd frame it but I can't wait to read it many, many times.

Pumped????? Dan, signed autograph???? Celebrity Luthier signatures, Hummmm...

Pumped????? Dan, signed autograph???? Celebrity Luthier signatures, Hummmm...

Come on Woodenspoke, where have you been, haven't you been watching the Celebrity Luthier Dance Off Competitions?? I assumed everyone had been watching, same with the Luthier Idol, you know where they sing. :D

Cool for you he signed it. The world of guitar building really seems so unknown that I doubt it will ever be worth anything, but you could still frame it just to show it off. I'm sure some houseguest would get a kick out of that, especially if you had made some quality instrument from what you learned. Plus, that'll be something cool to show your kids, when you pass on some homemade instruments. J

It's actually a death threat. Dan always writes "from my shop to yours" when he's on his way to turn someone into hot hide glue.

Now that was funny, I havent laughed so hard in a long time.

I received mine the other day and its signed, its pretty cool, but its definatly nothing special, I mean I've never met the guy and I havent even started reading the book yet. That said if it really helps me and saves my ass I'm sure it will mean a lot more to me in a few years that he actualy took the time to sign it.

I don't understand why they didn't finally make this latest version in some sort of "binder format", because 1) Then every couple months, or years (or somewhere in between) they could offer updates for sale, that you can add to your binder book, and 2) We all know damn well what a PITA it is when you're in the workshop and want the book opened at a certain page, but in order to get the book to stay open, you have to weight it down, or clamp the book open. With a binder, you don't really have that problem.

I had the first edition signed by Dan (the one with the broken headstock LP on the cover). That book was starting to fall apart, but I easily sold it for $8.00 probably because Dan had signed it. I've had the second edition for maybe about 10 years now, and it's almost in mint condition. Videos are so much nicer !

Does the new version have a list of 15 totally unrelated Stew Mac branded tools, required for every seperate job?

Every time i see Dan's name, i think of the pictures of him with the magnifying head set on his head, looking like Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys. :D

Does the new version have a list of 15 totally unrelated Stew Mac branded tools, required for every seperate job?

I know what you mean. I have a lot of respect for the man but I wish the books weren't a brochure to sell StewMac tools even though they have a lot of useful info in them.

He really is good - I mean he signed that picture next December!

It's stranger than that - he's an American who knows how to write the date properly :D

I allowed my self a small giggle for that one! teehee

Hey the man is a legend for turning other peoples ideas into gold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every time i see Dan's name, i think of the pictures of him with the magnifying head set on his head, looking like Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys. :D

Just for you Perry:

bubbleserlewine.jpg

Personally, I think he looks more like a Ghostbuster with those goggleses.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We could only wish the new book was just a brochure for Stewmac tools, there's a bunch of stuff in there that I wish was available from them.

It'd be great if S/M would carry Vintique style threaded neck inserts, Martin bar fret stock, a #4 counterbore, Novus polishes, that cool little humbucker installation tool, along with too many other little gizmos to mention that also appear in the book.

Sure this stuff is available from other sources but it sure would be nice to get it all under one roof, saves ordering time.

I Amazoned one but it wasn't signed...

Still an incredibly clear and useful book for guitar repairs. I don't mind the Stew Mac angle or that he "steals" ideas (mostly credited by the way)...HOWEVER...

Metric is so much better and easier in fine increments and the least he could do is acknowledge the rest of the world by using it in addition to imperial measurements that is almost exclusively American now (and I was brought up on imperial).

The illustrations and diagrams are very clear, better than most and at least he shows the tools and modified tools so that you could make your own or adapt rather than some books that just assume about some of this stuff or that you will be able to find them down the local hardware or something.

For instance, I was impressed by the pickup winding section (p274). Short, but here of course he is hawking the shatten winder from stew mac. Howefver, he also shows larger pictures on the same page of a commercial winder at TV Jones and three of very cheap but effective DIY designs using a simple drill. I have no problem with that at all. Similarly he clearly shows ways to magnetise alnico poles with neodyminium magnets. You can by them at stew mac, perhaps you could find some elsewhere of have something that works, or you could ripp a couple from old hard discs...he doesn't promote the mojo of the product overly and explains the principle.

I had to buy it cause the earlier edition in the library was in too much demand and so everytime I got it, I had to give it back!

pete

The Vintique *inserts* are very easy and cheap to get at many places. It's the thicker stainless *plate* that's the problem getting. Sure, it'd be nice if StewMac would sell the plates. Just make sure they hook up with a maker who would get the screw holes dead on.

Bar frets : I think with a large purchase, they could have that one German factory make this wire. But I think StewMac probably shot themselves in the foot big-time by not hooking up with the US distributor for that fret-wire company (I'm almost certain they had the chance). LMI and Allied did hook up, and now when someone wants the highest quality fret-wire, they don't go to stewmac. And then the best SS wire, from that same German company, again , I think Mac really screwed themselves over. Maybe it's someone way up the ladder at Stewmac being an idiot about this stuff.

The R&D guys seem to have good intentions with what they do.

I certainly don't mind ordering from more than one place, even if a few minutes apart. Sometimes the savings is well worth it, and the "extra work" involves another web browser, and several more mouse clicks.

Quite a few people have viewed stewmac as being sneaky with some stuff they sell. Like covering the the Klein tools logo on their tang notchers with black heat shrink. Instead of screwing around with heat-shrink, why don't they sell replacement cutters for those nippers ? (I've come across at least one place that does just sell the cutter piece, so I know if can be done)

How about some of their videos being shot 23 years ago (and I mean videos in the current catalog), but they don't even give you a clue about that in the catalog. Sneaky indeed.

And they're even too cheap to offer gift certificates for submissions to their "trade secrets" email.

They also don't seem interested in paying a dime in compensation for using anyone elses ideas. Real tight little family operation they got there.