13" Thicknesser/planer?

RGman

I started off with a 12" thicknesser but it was never wide enough. I upgrades to a 20" which is great for smashing back body stock in a hurry, but no good for anything figured or likely to tear out.

My 25" drum sanders get used WAY more than my thicknesser and if I had to pick between a drum sander and a thicknesser, I'd take the sander.

I have the Craftsman 13" planer. It's a decent machine, and cuts smooth, and precise. There's plenty of power, and hooked up to my big shop vacuum the dust collection is surprisingly good. I've also got a 10" Ryobi that I bought 30 years ago. It's loud, and obnoxious, but has held up to the test of time. I bought the 13" with guitar bodies in mind, but I rarely use it for that anymore. Instead, I use my router sled. It's nice to be able to surface a drop top, or flatten any piece of material up to 14.5" X 25" without the tear outs or end snipe of the planer. Best of all, one can be made from scrap, or inexpensive material. The router I use on this one cost me $20 at a pawn shop. It's a great low cost solution.

Right now, I only dream of having a thickness sander

sled01_zps8316bf3e.jpg