how can i fold a 1/4" maple top

txisan

• 2 weeks later...
I made a Brian Moore style 7 that's green/quilt top like Scott's, mahogany back, 2 hums

Any pics or link, please?

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Sorry, haven't checked this thread for awhile. I'll try to get some pics this weekend for monday. It came out pretty nice. I've actually been playing it a lot lately since I finished wiring in the coil cuts.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just a quick question here, Just wondered, what do people mean by 'wetting' the top before applying steam? are we talking dipping here? or wet rag? and how much water should we be using?!

You'll all probably call me thick! but hey. nevermind.

Edit: Also looking at tom anderson guitars, everyone has said to stay away from the bookmatched join with the iron, but the anderson guitars bend starts before the join, so how would you achieve this? :D

Edited by Sambo

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm having problems following MOST of the forum threads. Anyone have any idea why almost all of the pics in the forum aren't displaying in my (IE) browser? All I get is a little box that says "user posted image" and a little red "X" in it.

I've turned off ALL of my security stuff (running naked... scared!!) and still no pics.

Other sites are fine, it only seems to happen here.

We now return you to your current program....

• 2 months later...

Just looked at this topic for the first time and came up with an idea for a simple vacuum bag that might be cheaper and a lot easier to get a hold of. How well would it work if you steamed the maple top, added your glue, and used a food saver vacuum bag? Does that creat anough vacuum pressure to pull the top down ad enough force to hold the top down as it dries and the glue sets?

• 10 months later...

I`m new here to the boards and noticed this was an old thread. I introduced this method to Washburn years ago when they introduced the MG series droptops.
Rout a series of parallel kerfs to the underside of the top at the angle where the arm scarf will be bent. Steam the top for 1.5 minutes and use a radiused caul for clamping or before you throw it in the vacuum bag.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Just a quick question, (i'm trying to learn as much as possible before i attempt to make a guitar)

[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/J0191.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/J0191.jpg[/url]

I take it this is the soloist style body, was the guy asking how a 1/4 maple top could be applied ontop and bent downwards over the 'slope' at the bottom of the guitar body for the arm (so the top would remain the same thickness at the way though which wouldn't occur with sanding it)

am i right?

(i know its an old thread and not so much a question but a confirmation, but like i said, i'm 'revising')

Edited by Asherman