Dv8 & Vmnt Dimensions

Out of curiosity, does anybody have the ESP DV8 (or LTD V-500) and Dean VMNT dimensions and know how they compare to the Jackson King? I know a few have made DV8 clones, but have not seen dimensions or plans. I also presume the VMNT is pretty close if not identical, which it just well may be.

Also, what difference does the reportedly larger body make on the DV8 or VMNT? Are they less neck-heavy, bassier, more/less comfortable, pretty much the same?

-Cheers

I don't have any templates, but the only difference the larger bodies make is to avoid lawsuits from Jackson. Jackson has the King V shape copyrighted, so no one else can make a guitar that is the same shape and size, or closely resembling it enough to be easily mistaken.

The ESP and Dean models are obviously going to be heavier due to the extra wood, and probably balance a little better. But Vees are all about strap placement to get a good balance. Part of the reason behind the King V size was to eliminate some of the weight from a Gibson V.

I don't have any templates, but the only difference the larger bodies make is to avoid lawsuits from Jackson. Jackson has the King V shape copyrighted, so no one else can make a guitar that is the same shape and size, or closely resembling it enough to be easily mistaken.

The ESP and Dean models are obviously going to be heavier due to the extra wood, and probably balance a little better. But Vees are all about strap placement to get a good balance. Part of the reason behind the King V size was to eliminate some of the weight from a Gibson V.

Part of the reason behind the King V size was to eliminate some of the weight from a Gibson V.

Nope... The King V was designed by Ratt guitarist Robin Crosby. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Gibson Flying V. Crosby wanted a guitar somewhat similar to Randy Rhoads. So he asked the Jackson custom shop to build a guitar with 2 symmetrical wings, based on the longest wing from a Jackson Rhoads.

These original prototypes were called 'Double Rhoads'. And these were a lot heavier than a Gibson Flying V. Dave Mustaine then asked the Custom Shop to build a shorter, lighter 'Double Rhoads'. And the King V we know today was born. The original Crosby was way too heavy and unpractical to play due to the very large body.

I owned both a Mustaine V from from 1993 and a Rhoads Pro from 1990, and both are heavier than a usual Flying V. The King V is 12 pounds. But don't get me wrong, I've played some very heavy Flying V's. Especially a Korina V from early 60's if I remember correctly..

Also, what difference does the reportedly larger body make on the DV8 or VMNT? Are they less neck-heavy, bassier, more/less comfortable, pretty much the same?

I tried a DV8 once. I've never seen a 'neck-heavy' V. The body is so large, it would need a huge neck to make it neck-heavy. You can't really compared a DV and a King V. The DV is mahogany, King V from Jackson are either poplar or alder. They don't use the same pickups and hardware. As for comfortability, they are very similar, the DV being a little bit bigger.. But you don't really notice.

Edited by MescaBug