Bought A New Router - 1 Hp Bosch Colt Variable Speed

Carl762

Just bought the installers kit Bosch Colt 1.0 hp, variable speed, router. This thing is just as awesome as the reviews I read about the thing before buying. The bigger router was just too bulky and uncomfortable to use for small work.

Tomorrow, I route my pickup and control cavities for the FrankenStrat I'm building.

Anybody else have experience, tips, traps, other advise re this router? Any jigs, accessories I might just have to have?

:D

I've been looking out for a good deal on one of those.

I have its big brother (Bosch 1617EVSPK) and use it constantly.

It'd be nice to have the Colt for smaller jobs.

But... I just (within the hour) finished putting together my new Jet 17" drill press, so no more power tool expenditures for a while. :D

Nice on the drill press. I do like Jet products.

Rik, I have that same exact, well almost, setup you have, except mine is a Craftsman (positive its made by BOSCH). I love the router, but it's just a bit bulky for me when trying to do templates, etc., thence my buying the Bosch Colt set.

Now, I have to expend monies on my car, so no more tools for me, at least for a while.

However, I'm in pretty good shape for making most anything I'll need. Can't wait to get out in the shop tonight.

I have a Colt, and it is a nice solid laminate router. I prefer My Hitachi router for most work, mainly because the power and weight make it nice and stable, plus it holds its setting better. Biggest downside to a lam. trimmer is they don't lock in as well, but the Colt is about the best laminate trimmer I have found. Good buy :D

Peace,Rich

Just got myself and it home, cracked open the instructions, and am sitting down with a brew. I'll get out to the shop tonight to test it on a pickup hole or two.

Thanks Rich.

Rich and Rick, I really like this Bosch Colt, and my Craftsman Bosch, because of the variable speed and the no load circuitry. The big router is nice and smooth, basically brand new, but too big, eh cumbersome, to be comfortable using it (yet) on a project like an electric guitar body. Woo Hoo, I'm set now. Both machines will get plenty of use and I'm interested in building a few furniture items in the near term. I have a third router, a Skil, that I'm going to keep mounted in the router table.

If anybody has any tips, plans or sites you like that have templates and other cool routing information, that would be awesome. I joined routerforums.

Going to hit Woodcrafters in the morning and get a good, GP router book, and a book or two of furniture plans.

Bosch makes routers for Craftsman? I didn't know that. I'm gonna have to see if my Craftsman router (which is my first router, my workhorse and just generally awesome) is one of them.

Yeah about all craftsman does is put their name on the tools these days. My buddy works for a company the designs and manufactures power tools and they are always pitching new stuff to craftsman and other companies. His company comes up with a design, and they make up some prototype, appearance model kind of stuff. Then they go and pitch it to the various tool companies. If the company buys the design, it will be on the store shelves in 6 months.

I've ogled the colts wistfully, but since I already have 4 operational routers, one more seems...silly. For now. Maybe later.

Thing is, while I like using my PC 310 (about the same size as the colt, ditto power, just no variable speed or soft start, but built like a tank!) for lots of things, I really want the bigger router for heavier duty work. The lam trim is just the right size for trimming headstock (template routing), cutting truss rod/CF slots, routing binding slots, and just about right for roundovers. But the bigger, heavier machines (Bosch 1617, PC 690) provide the power that makes cutting control cavities, template routing, pickup cavities, general trimming, and large radius roundovers that much easier. Get comfortable with operating the bigger router, I'd say, as the power will make a lot of operations go more smoothly and efficiently.

If I only built acoustics, the trimmer would be all I would need. For electrics, if I have to chose, I'll take the big boys.

Holbren

Give these guys a try for Whiteside bits. Usually some of the best prices out there. They always have sales going on as well. And if you use "Woodnet10" in the promotion area you can get an additional 10% off. Also, check out Pat Warner's Router site.

Pat Warner

It is very informative and he custom makes acrylic bases for many different routers, including the Colt. They are a big improvement on a already great lil router. For those of you wondering.....Woodnet is a woodworkers forum. Good luck, I love my Colt.

Gil

I usually get mine from routerbits.com, same prices as Holbren, great service. Almost all my bits are whiteside, with the exception of a lone CMT (also great) and an old router bit set of no-nameness from my younger, foolish router bit buying days.

Thanks for the Pat Warner link - never seen that before.

Some cool stuff there - I found this base a particularly useful idea - I'm going to have to try and make me up one… (or perhaps just drop the change for one of his nice ones)

• 1 month later...
Just got myself and it home, cracked open the instructions, and am sitting down with a brew. I'll get out to the shop tonight to test it on a pickup hole or two.

Thanks Rich.

Rich and Rick, I really like this Bosch Colt, and my Craftsman Bosch, because of the variable speed and the no load circuitry. The big router is nice and smooth, basically brand new, but too big, eh cumbersome, to be comfortable using it (yet) on a project like an electric guitar body. Woo Hoo, I'm set now. Both machines will get plenty of use and I'm interested in building a few furniture items in the near term. I have a third router, a Skil, that I'm going to keep mounted in the router table.

If anybody has any tips, plans or sites you like that have templates and other cool routing information, that would be awesome. I joined routerforums.

Going to hit Woodcrafters in the morning and get a good, GP router book, and a book or two of furniture plans.

i'm looking into one of these to replace my Craftsman Router (which is junk)...

how big is the base?? big enough to use on pick-up routing and neck joint templates??

how about the depth?

thanks for the info.

matt

madhattr88@gmail.com