Voting for March 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

avengers63

Other Woodworking

You've got some really cool projects going, avenger! Love the boxes. That's something I wouldn't mind getting into, making a few for friends and family.

And that's pretty awesome, Pete! I've always enjoyed hardbacks and beautiful "book art".

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I'm into a bunch of woodworking facets, not just guitars. I'm really loving taking a chunk of raw (but seasoned) wood and making it into something. Right now, I'm bulletproofing some mahogany & zebrawood coasters. They match the remote control caddy I made. They'll all sit on the end tables I'll be making next year.

The boxes really aren't all that hard. Assuming you have all the power tools to make a guitar, you have everything needed to make the boxes. For these, I used a band saw, compound miter saw, and router. You COULD use a table saw instead of the band & miter, but I don't like my table saw. Anyway, there are a number of good teaching books that will take you through progressively harder boxes.

I'm bulletproofing some mahogany & zebrawood coasters.

:D You must live in a really rough area if even the coasters need to be bulletproof

Nice. B) Yea, I figure if I can make a bandolier-type jacket and use them as body armor as I walk to a cocktail party where I can whip one out to impress the ladies with my impressive display of wood. :D

Since they're coasters and subject to a minor amount of heat and a LOT of moisture, I'm slathering them with poly. They'll end up with a really thick layer on top and a moderately thick coating on the sides bottom. Lots of moisture = lots of durable finish. IE: bulletproof.

Do baseboards count? <groan>

I'm in renovation mode. Plan to use some skills to build a bathroom vanity, though.

Yeah...renovation is even bigger! Baseboaards can be a bugger...plus qulity control is often overseen by someone who controls the quality control.

However, it can be great to use everyday something that you have made and lend support to your tool aquisition program.

I built a vanity in the bathroom out of jarrah and a matching mirror. Took of these crappy tiles and used floor boards around the sink...took the mirror off the wall and made a frame from the same stuff...of course then I had to tile the whole room...but it was great to walk in there every day and see all that beautiful timber in there...

So yes...all that counts big time!

Here's the rough in on my fireplace and surround. Still have the bookcase to build, the mantle, and mill all of the trim as well.

fprough.jpg

I'm trying to get it done before Christmas. It was a stone fireplace, ( it sucked ) .

BTW John some nice looking pieces you have made. I was trying to save you some of my offcuts, but my Nephew ran off with them :D

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

Mike

Looking good, Mike! Everything went through with the new house and my parents closed the deal today, so I'll be doing a good amount of the renovations at the old place. With all of the extra time in the workshop I should be able to get some more basses complete. :D

Looking good, Mike! Everything went through with the new house and my parents closed the deal today, so I'll be doing a good amount of the renovations at the old place. With all of the extra time in the workshop I should be able to get some more basses complete. :D
Thanks Jon,

I finally got back to work on it last week. B) As you remember I had the lower part started last time you were here. I've had to put efforts other places at times( storage shed, pool , air conditioning, bath redo) just stuff. Now the wife is getting kind of tired of the renovation mode :D Glad to hear about the folks, say hello to them for me. Let me know if I can help at the house in anyway.

Mike

BTW John some nice looking pieces you have made. I was trying to save you some of my offcuts, but my Nephew ran off with them.

Thanks. You tried at least. I appreciate the thought.

Looks good Mike. I've got the world ugliest firplace here, but the house is rented so there's not much I can do. Still waiting on a mortgage for the new house we've (sort of) bought, so I have to take up the laminate in that and lay a propper wooden floor. Going to have to cut an inch out of the concrete floor though so it can fit in and the door can open (it needs to be leveled anyway)...... then I need to redo the kitchen and turn the garage into a workshop/office/brewery.

Mike/Jon - I can't wait to join the renovation club, although to be honest, my new place wont need that much work.

I brew beer as well... as I was discussing with someone a few days ago, the luthier gene appears to be related to the brewer gene. :D

It's the "Sod it, I'll do it myself gene"

I brew beer as well... as I was discussing with someone a few days ago, the luthier gene appears to be related to the brewer gene. :D

Rick, what kind of stuff do you brew?

I'm a bit of a beer snob myself, and I have brewed several different beers with a good friend of mine.

About a month ago, I went to get some wood from an ebay seller that loves fairly close. He had a big chunk of some kind of spalted burl from Canada that he was sick of messing with. He let me have it for $2. When I brought it home, my wife saw it and without hesitation said "mantle clock".

I looked at her like her head was screwed on backwards. "You don't like burled wood, but you want this for a mantle clock?"

"Yes" she said. "I can't explain it, but I want that for a mantle clock."

If that's what'll make her happy...

wip03.jpg

wip05.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...antle/wip01.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...antle/wip02.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...antle/wip04.jpg

Baseboards turn out to be pretty easy. While I sanded and smoothed the mitres in one room, my wife did the other... which room had the highest occurence of invisible mitres after the final coat of paint was applied?

I'll let you guess. And I promise not to call you "sexist" when you guess correctly. :D

But still, all in all it turned out pretty well for a first attempt. I mean, some mitres, spackle, and caulking isn't rocket surgery. Though, it was a real eye-opener that walls/rooms aren't as flat/square as you'd think. :o

I'm a bit of a beer snob myself, and I have brewed several different beers with a good friend of mine.

Just about everything... more IPAs, IIPAs, and APAs than anything else. I have an Irish Red ready to keg at the moment. American wheat/rye is up next. Then maybe a robust porter.

Just about everything... more IPAs, IIPAs, and APAs than anything else. I have an Irish Red ready to keg at the moment. American wheat/rye is up next. Then maybe a robust porter.

Nice, 3 of my favorite styles. Nothing like a good IPA. The last couple we have done have been a Scottish Wee Heavy, and a Maibock.

I've been fiddling around with some scroll saw boxes, trying to get past the learning curve. The other night, I sacrificed some sapele to it. It ate 3 10TPI blades before I figured out that 2" wood is just too thick for it. 1 1/2" is about the upper limit. I got it to work just fine with some 1" longhi & 1 1/4" ash. Right now I'm tooling around with an oval lid with some fretwork cutouts. I'll post come pics when I get them all sanded & finished up. I'm not going to do anything more elaborate than a coat or two of shellac.

102_0230.jpg

102_0228.jpg

102_0229.jpg

Here's what I was working on this past week. I went for something simple to try and get past the learning curve for the tool. The first pic has a cue ball for size comparison. Overall, I HATE what my camera does to the color of the woods. :D

These are small boxes made with a scroll saw. The interiors were scrolled out, then a solid base was glued onto the bottom. The carcass is one solid piece of wood - no joins except for the base.

The smaller one is ash with a flamed walnut lid. The other is longhi with a bookmatched sapele lid. They were both finished by flooding them with teak oil (oil/varnish mix), wiping the excess after 30 minuted, then sanding it out with 400 grit.