Are These The Right Tools For The Job?

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I've decided that I'd like to try building a guitar from scratch, but before I do so I'm going to try refretting a beater guitar I have. While I'm at it, I'm also going to create a new fingerboard and install some side LEDs... I think it's best to mess up on a beater guitar than to invest in materials for a custom guitar only to fail miserably. :D

I'm on a somewhat limited budget but I want to buy quality tools. I believe that the neck is the most important part of the guitar, so I'd like to have the best tools I can afford. If this goes well, I plan to build several guitars so I consider it an investment. Also, if I decide that I don't have the skills for it, I can always sell them as better tools will have better resale value... With that in mind, are these what I need? (sorry for another one of these threads. I tried the search function but couldn't find anything relevant).

I will be attempting fretting with stainless steel fretwire (I know it's harder but I'd like to try it out) and with a bound fingerboard.

From Stewmac:

Edited by darkshadow54321

• 2 months later...
Guest RavenT

Hi I would suggest that you bay your self the guitar player repair guide from Dan Erlewine his third edition. He will explain all the tools you need and techniques. This should be your first buy.