"gilmour Switch" Wiring Diagram

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a strat wiring diagram so I can fit a concealed sinle pole SPDT mini toggle to a strat as per david Gilmour. Thanks

J

Do you know what this switch is supposed to do...and in what way is it concealed out of interest? It seems odd that you know the switch specification and but not the function!

As a guess, such a switch could engage the neck (or other pickup) into any combination. This is a useful mod as it produces the bridge/neck combination and the all three combinations in positions 4 and 5. But, really it is a guess...perhaps he has a preamp in there and this turns it on for all I know. If it is a SPDT it can't be a phase or similar switch...how do you know of this alleged switch if it is "concealed"...

Anyway...as always, more details = more answers...

pete

Hi,

So I have confused you all sorry.

I am talking about the Black Strat not the candy apple red one, which indeed uses emgs.

The mini toggle switch is used to switch on the bridge pickup so it can be on at the same time as the neck or the neck and middle. Just like a push pull can do. It is a fairly famous mod and i'm surprised you have not heard of it. It is recessed because when David Gilmour did the mod, he wanted it to be unobtrusive.

Regards

John

It's a famous mod alright... I just can't recall which famous players make use of it. :D

Sounds like this one:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1204

True, it's a push/pull, but that's just a fancy way of putting the switch physically onto the pot, but there's no magic marriage of the two; they're still separate. If you want the switch physically separate, as per Gilmour, you can still use the above diagram.

As I suspected...but adding the bridge so you get all three and bridge/neck in positions 1 and 2.

I keep hearing about a hendrix 'secret switch' mod with a concealed switch on the back, but never heard what this was, seen any evidence of it in footage or anything else. Mark Knophler used to pay a schecter strat (tunnel of love era) with three mini switches in place of the selector that used to be called something like "ultimate switching" or something and was featured in Guitar Player in the seventies. This has a huge number of options including phasing.

Generally...fancy switching schemes, even when used by famous players, have never been seen to be essential and often abandoned. As with all three players mentioned, or any great player...the sound is in the hands as much as anything...

Good answer greg...

pete