"star" Single Cut Away Build

Hi,

Thought I'd post a build I have been working on. Pics are below of the progress.

The top - Bookmatched Fiddlebacked Aussie Blackwood

Blackwood-1a.jpg

The body - chambered Aussie blackwood

chamber.jpg

The neck - Laminated New Guinea Rosewood and maple with a santos rosewood fretboard and MOP inlays

headstock-1.jpg

fboard-1.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Also whats with the acoustic in the background of the first picture? Is that one of your creations?

Nice eyes, Daniel; I didn't even notice that :D

This build looks nice, and it's a fine collection of Aussie woods to boot :D Why would one build a neck out of a large piece of wood like that, headstock wings and angle and all? Not a criticism towards you, just seems like a waste of wood what with all the routing and all.

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the feedback.

The neck is laminated out of 5 pieces NGR, maple, NGR, maple, NGR. The width is as it is because of the thickness of the timber for the edge laminations. I bought the timber for 1 neck and cutting it up turned out that width. To cut the laminations thinner would have wasted timber anyhow. In the future I will probably buy larger stock and make more necks by cutting it up more efficiently. The larger the piece.. the more options in terms of cutting up blanks I suppose. Good point though. I should make more of an effort to minimise waste. No chance of getting 2 necks though from this blank. The routing I just did with a standard following bit. template only for the headstock

The accoustic in the background is not mine. The pic was one sent from the supplier prior to me purchasing.

Below is a pic of the headstock inlay complete. The pearl is going to be engraved once sanding is complete.

P1090012.jpg

With all the inlay complete the neck was then roughed out. Pic below

P3020046.jpg

P3020065.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Hey fellas,

Got some more progress pics of the top jointed and glued onto the body. I trimmed the top using a flush trimming bit and then routed the binding channel by using a flush trim bit with a smaller bearing, which I suppose is a rebate bit. I have also started the neck pocket, whilst the top is flat. The full depth of the pocket is routered once I have angled the top of the body to match the neck angle.

Cheers,

Peter

P3020059.jpg

P3020061.jpg

Hi Dickie Rayne.

Good luck with your searches in the UK, however I recon your best bet is to buy direct from Aust, because the flamed stuff is hard to come by even in Aust. All the good figured stuff is poached from the timber yard before it even hits the racks, and often the only way you can get it is to buy it from the poachers themselves with a hefty "middle man" fee. Plus with the exchange rate the way it is, you'd practically be getting it for free.... maybe not. I got this top from http://www.australiantonewoods.com.

Got a pic with the binding glued on. I used laminates of tasmanian oak as the binding on this one.

Cheers,

Peter

P3290233.jpg

No worries Dickie Rayne,

Got a pic of routing the top angle. There are two angle transitions that I've routed on the face. The first is to match the neck angle (2.6 degrees) and the second is a transition angle (1.7 degrees) going from the end of the fretboard to about half way between the bridge pickup and the bridge.

The firt pic of the neck angle routed on the front

P3290240.jpg

The second is a side on picture with the transition routed to show the angle.

P3310243.jpg

The third pic shows the carve roughed out. The angle in the front works realy well for blending the top carve. Pics to come.

P4120081.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the feedback fellas,

The output is not a tele jack, I'm just going to put a flush mount output jack that stewmac sells. I'll see if I can attach a pic...no, just a link

here

However I have recessed the body in the same manner as a tele, except that the body recess is the concave dome, rather than the metal dome.

You are right about the circles Xanthus, they are just there to hold it in place. No need to clamp the body down for routering! Saves alot of time. I also have an mdf board that bolts on, but is suspended above it. The bolts adjust the height of the second board above the base, which is great for routering neck angles and the face angle as shown in one of the pictures above. It takes a little time to put these together, however definately worth it. These are by no ways original jigs, most of them I have just copied someone elses idea.

Below a pic of the back with the recess routed for the cavity cover.

Cheers,

Peter

P4120083.jpg