"star" Single Cut Away Build

Oh, that looks fabulous!!! :D The shape of that guitar (the carving I mean) is really beautiful. How thick is that body? It looks really thin for a Les Paul/PRS style, which I think is why it looks so good.

Edited by Geo

Thanks for the feedback fellas,

Sorry Xanthus, didn't quite get what you meant by the Dave Myka comment.

The neck to body join was purely intentional. I'm building this for my sister who is small and finds her current Les Paul copy heavy and awkward to play and asked for a shorter, lighter instrument. She rarely sits high on the fretboard, so positioning the joint slightly higher, gets a slightly shorter overall instrument and maintain a standard scale length. The 22nd fret is still quite accessible. The body is about 90% of a standard Less paul size, and Geo you are correct in it being thinner than normal. 35mm at the edge and 47mm at the centre, which makes for a very playable instrument. Quite light too with the chambering and the slightly shorter neek maintains excellent balance.

The wood wheels are centrally placed and just screwed in for each individual guitar, however the offset cam is a very good idea.. mmm... might steal that idea.

Cheers,

Peter

P4270019.jpg

P4270008.jpg

Thanks Again

Wow, that is really thin! That's pretty cool that you can build one for your sister. I've tried a few times to convince my brother to let me build him one (a lefty), but he doesn't want to spend for the materials, and I can't afford to give it away. :D

The 12th fret inlay makes me think of the star of Bethlehem for some reason. Cool guitar man.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Have finished this one a few weeks back and thought that I'd post some pics of the finished product. Am very happy with how it turned out.

Cheers,

Peter

P8170288.jpg

P8170291.jpg

P8170302.jpg

P8090280.jpg

P8170303.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/si...ey/P8090281.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/si...ey/P8170301.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/si...ey/P8170289.jpg

Oh maaaaaan... engraving the dragonfly was KEY! It looks so much better, just by adding that little detail!!!

What could you do with the center of the star? What kind of creativity could you come up with inside it?

And that's definitely a guitar screaming to be played on a stage! Beautiful! Show that puppy off everywhere you can, man!

What kind of output jack did you use? It looks far better than a lot of axes I've seen. And recessing it looks sharp.

Edited by Bryan316

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

thanks for the feedback. If I was to do it again, I probably would consider a different pickup colour other than black. I was thinking silver rings, or no rings at all? Or even timber rings maybe? I just picked up a large billet of the blackwood for more tops and I think I'll trial a few options for the next blackwood guitar I make. The finish is waterbased colortone from Stewmac with a thin coat of blond shelac underneath. I love the WB colortone, is much better on the old lungs and environment than the trad solvent based.

Thanks again,

Peter

Fantastic! In my opinion this is the best "project guitar" guitar in a long time. I like your take on the traditional single-cut's set-neck the most, was there a reason for this method? It looks great.

Thanks,

I assume you mean how the bottom of the heel meets flush with the back of the guitar? The main reason for this was due to the body being thinner than average (36mm at the edge, 47mm at the centre) and I wanted the neck heel to remain the standard depth (if there is a "standard"), so I made it the full depth of the body, which also looks good too, I think.

Cheers,

Peter