Guitar Of The Month For July

Guitar of the Month for July  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

scottyd- I love the wood choices and the shape. The laminates are very well done and the fret board really sets the bass off. I also believe that I see an LED for the boost. Pretty cool stuff. The only things I saw were a few gaps between the body and the pickup covers and between the body and the cover plate. We've been seeing a lot of custom covers and very tight countersunk magnetic cover plates so grading this one on the curve it could use a little more attention to the details.

RFR- I've been waiting a month to thank you for the girls and really: that should get you the win... I also love the tail piece and bridge. Having this guitar on the road with a notable band is surely a win in it's self. I've had occasion to sell to locals but never to a national act. I really liked this guitar but would have liked to have seen more of it to make a determination on the GOTM.

Peterbrown- I like the vine inlay and the choice of wenge is awesome if not very heavy. I've used wenge for a top before and its a fun and challenging wood to work with. For a PRS shape, it seems to look a little off in the horns. I don't know but whenever I look at it the horns really stand out but not in a positive way. The use of counter sunk knobs worked really well though.

Guitony- I have to say that this guitar was in my top three for consideration. I absolutely love the natural wood top and the wrap around bridge. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to inlay so I appreciate the lack of inlay on the board. The craftsmanship looks to be very good as well. No noticeable gaps between the body and the top! What kept it from being my choice this month? The pickups, two single coils and a P90. This is a working man's guitar but for a show piece it doesn't flow. I might like this guitar better for playing than for looking and unfortunately I'll never play it so looking at it weighs more to me.

bigdguitars- I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing as a lot of others but damn, that neck looks awesome and I'd love to see in work progress of how you did the veneer on the neck. Truly a killer concept and execution. The body and finish look nice and I love the idea of a single knob. Again with the minimalist approach!

daniel sorbera- Alright, I basically judge my winner by the adage "would I buy it" and this month, this is the guitar I'd walk out of the store with. It's not a crazy shape but it's unique (to me anyways) I like the trans color, the fact that it's a bolt on and that fact that the fixed bridge actually fits the design. This looks like something that Jackson would come out with. I do have one thing I would like to see improved and that's a color match headstock. Even if you don't put a logo on it, color matching the headstock will make it flow. If you leave it natural then it should have some type of logo on it just to break up the plain maple look.

'

low end fuzz- This bass have a very interesting quilt top to it and the use of PH is always a good idea. The pictures likely don't do this bass justice as the background really made the guitar had to focus on.

Thanks for the votes folks!

Yes this month there are some fine instruments, I must say. it would be difficult for me to pick one.

As to the red devil, I wish I had some picks of the back. All shots however were with the girls and the temporary owner.

We did a buckcherry "crazy b**ch" photo shoot to follow the theme of the tour.

Thanks all!

Roman

PS. That's Roman not Ed Roman

Thanks all for the votes, and thanks Zyonsdream for the detailed critique. You're probably right, I chose the pickups based on tonal variety, and not wanting to take up more space with full-size HBs, rather than aesthetics!

I won't be voting for myself ... I cast a "null vote" by just trying to look at the poll standings rather than voting! :D

i voted for scottyd's. seen a few of his now and they seem to be getting better each month... if i had seen next months before voting i might have saved my vote for that. the cleanness of the maple single cut bass really appealed. If i was to be critical i would say i dont really think the homemade bridge is working visually - but that might just be the 4 big screws i dont like

RFR's - nice and classic but different at the same time - very nice stuff.. personally i am not sure i like the shape of the upper bout

peter - i like the wenge and the build looks good but i dont think teh inlay was needed - it does look well done though

Guitony - i really like the woods and style of this build... again i would say the pickup choice wouldnt be something that suited me

Big D - stunning wood choice and finish. i really like the chrome rings and black pickups against the blue but dont like seeing the scarf on the back of the headstock (how minor is that!! :D )

Daniel - the shape is stunning, and i really like the accent in the scarf (mine never looked that clean). nothing to fault other than the fact i would want the red a bit darker (and i realise thats partially just lighting) and i would be unsure about the strap button position

low end fuzz - yeah, great name and a nice looking piece of maple i like teh shape but the purple heart isnt doing much for me

Everyone did an awesome job yet again this month. The one I liked the best was bigdguitar's. It's simple but it just flows. I love double cuts lps a lot, that's why i started making one a year ago but never got back to finishing it. This was back when it seemed like the PRS's where the popular thing to build. Now I see tons of double cut lps now. Wierd huh? Anyways, this one stands out. Great job.

Everyone did an awesome job yet again this month. The one I liked the best was bigdguitar's. It's simple but it just flows. I love double cuts lps a lot, that's why i started making one a year ago but never got back to finishing it. This was back when it seemed like the PRS's where the popular thing to build. Now I see tons of double cut lps now. Wierd huh? Anyways, this one stands out. Great job.

A double cut is a thing of beauty!

PRS originally just took a Gibson DC shape and carved the top. the early handmade ones were all mahogany. The Santana model is still basically a double cut.

Roman