Using Router Bits To Create Cavities Vs Hogging It Out With A Forstner

bluesy

I swivel the table to 90° (vertical) and clamp the workpiece to the table.

That'd be great. As stated, though, my press table doesn't swivel that way, hence my question. :D

Not sure if you can lower your table enough to do this but this is how I do mine.

First I use a fine point sharpy amd mark the center location on the side of the guitar.

There is a center line that I drew down the face of the backboard. I line my guitar up with that line right where I want the hole to be. I then center it under my Forstner bit and then clamp the jig down on the table using 4 clamps. Then I simply drill out the hole until I break through to the control cavity.

At first I thought I could just use a router but but my hole wasnt 100% clean so I've moved to using the forstner bit because it comes with it's own centering point. There is no jumping around and it cuts a quick clean hole.

100_3526.jpg

Back to the original topic, I've used a bearing guided router bit to do my cavities for years and never had much of an issue doing so (other than it takes forever, is loud and is messy.) However, I recently changed my method and started using the forstner bits to hog. I then clean it up with the router bit. Much quicker and much less mess to clean up.

Front

100_4687.jpg

Back

100_4685.jpg