Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now openĀ ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluesy

How Long Do The Blades On Surforms And Microplanes Last?

Just evaluating what I might buy - normal wood rasps, surform shapers and planes, and microplanes, rasp saws etc. I was wondering if the thin metal "blades" on surforms and microplanes might be relatively short lived and hence get expensive in the loger term.

A good hand-cut rasp will outlive (and in my opinion, outperform) microplanes and surforms (definitely the surforms), and can be sharpened (acid bath, google for places that do it) many years down the line if need be. Hand-cut outperforms machine made rasps by a significant margin as well.

A good hand-cut rasp will outlive (and in my opinion, outperform) microplanes and surforms (definitely the surforms), and can be sharpened (acid bath, google for places that do it) many years down the line if need be. Hand-cut outperforms machine made rasps by a significant margin as well.

Thanks for that. Truthfully, I didn't know there were hand cut and machine made rasps. I suppose I have only ever run across machine made.

Thanks for that. Truthfully, I didn't know there were hand cut and machine made rasps. I suppose I have only ever run across machine made.

Night and day difference between them, IMO. I have a fairly decent Sandvik machine cut rasp, but the finish it leaves (rough grooves) and the smoothness of cut are far worse than the two Dick Tools (Herdim) hand cut rasps I have. Cost me about 40 bucks each, some of the best money I've ever spent.

When it comes to any type of contouring, whether neck shaping or body contouring, it is all done with a rasp, spokeshave, planes, and a scraper. They all have a little bit of a learning curve, especially the scraper, but once you learn how to use them, they really are a pleasure to use.

When it comes to any type of contouring, whether neck shaping or body contouring, it is all done with a rasp, spokeshave, planes, and a scraper. They all have a little bit of a learning curve, especially the scraper, but once you learn how to use them, they really are a pleasure to use.

I am shopping for some good rasps now... I have the other things you mention... thanks everyone

I shaped a neck for the first time this week and I was able to use an antique flat rasp (at least a foot long) for 90% of the work. I'm assuming it's hand cut because it's so old (at least 70 years)... the thing is cast iron and could probably knock down a house if you had some patience with it.

I use a combo of all these tools. Microplane (flat and round), small and large spokeshave, and instead of a regular rasp, i personally like the Japanese saw rasp. Someone here turne me on to it, can't remember who. . . David Myka maybe? Anyways try one out, its EXCELLENT for shaping.

Even 70 year old files are most likely machine cut - industrial manufacturing took off in the 19th century, not the 20th.

The other carving tools I'm loving are an angle grinder.